Solved

Will everyone get 5G modem?

• 22 June 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge

When I signed up for T-Mobile internet, I received the white square modem. I now see where people are getting the tall cylinder 5G modems and was wondering if T-Mobile will eventually send me the 5G modem to replace the non 5G modem received.

Has that happened for anyone?

Tom

icon

Best answer by Timsw 23 June 2021, 15:15

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

When I signed up for T-Mobile internet, I received the white square modem. I now see where people are getting the tall cylinder 5G modems and was wondering if T-Mobile will eventually send me the 5G modem to replace the non 5G modem received.

Has that happened for anyone?

Tom

why would you want that?  you would go from ok to slow slow  slow slow oh and Unreliable..

Badge

Didn't realize the "newer" modem was worse.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Didn't realize the "newer" modem was worse.

Worse isn’t the word, read in the forum here about the speed terrible and no features..

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Not everyone has issues with the 5G gateway.   I have not needed to restart my gateway since I set it up a little over a month ago.

I get fairly consistent 300-500+ Megabits per second down depending on the time of day.   I am a mile from a 5G Tower.   Couldn’t be more pleased.

Note that if you game you might be better off sticking with the 4G gateway.  The 5G does not support some features that are required for multi-player game chats.

The WiFI speed test results are from my iPhone connected to the Gateway WiFi network.   The 5G results are from my iPhone connected directly to the 5G tower.

I agree with @cjake...Although it has it quirks I am running an ASUS AX wifi 6 router with one aiMesh node and it works quite well. I have only had it running a couple of weeks so long term who knows but I am happy to stay with it. Now I do have AT&T 1G fiber service that I turned off to test T-mobile out and I’m  not trying to tell you this is as fast and reliable. What I can tell you is I can do all the HD streaming from the major players without issue. I stream live local TV across my network from my antenna through hdhomerun without a problem. For full disclosure I am only 0.5 mile from a good tower so obviously those of you who are farther away in more rural areas than I am... I get your frustration. I do believe there is a capacity issue an that 5G cell use takes priority over home internet but there is hope. T-Mobile is expanding quickly utilizing Sprint assets and Verizon is pushing hard. Who will win the race...I hope we do.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I’ve read that you can request the modem upgrade, and if 5G is available in your area, they will send it to you for free, and you can mail back or return the 4G modem/router to a T mobile store once you know the new modem works well at your location.

In general, T mobile themselves have said that 5G is 2x the speed of 4G. I’ve read of people for whom it is 5x the speed they get on 4G, and for myself at my location it is 3x the speed of 4G.

And for a small minority of people, 5G can be slower than 4G. The 5G modem/router (gateway) uses 4G since at present 5G is paired with 4G in a “non stand-alone” relationship. The 5G modem/router can also get 4G alone. However, if you are in that minority of people who get a better speed on 4G, or want those other gaming features mentioned that work only on the 4G modem you have, there is no way to force the new 5G modem to select the 4G-alone signal exclusively that I’ve heard of.

One more thing...since 5G phones tend to be more expensive than 4G phones not everyone has one, but if you know someone who is on T mobile service and has a 5G phone, and they do a speed test in your house, well, then you will know the speeds you can expect from 5G T mobile home internet.

Badge

I’ve read that you can request the modem upgrade, and if 5G is available in your area, they will send it to you for free, and you can mail back or return the 4G modem/router to a T mobile store once you know the new modem works well at your location.

In general, T mobile themselves have said that 5G is 2x the speed of 4G. I’ve read of people for whom it is 5x the speed they get on 4G, and for myself at my location it is 3x the speed of 4G.

And for a small minority of people, 5G can be slower than 4G. The 5G modem/router (gateway) uses 4G since at present 5G is paired with 4G in a “non stand-alone” relationship. The 5G modem/router can also get 4G alone. However, if you are in that minority of people who get a better speed on 4G, or want those other gaming features mentioned that work only on the 4G modem you have, there is no way to force the new 5G modem to select the 4G-alone signal exclusively that I’ve heard of.

One more thing...since 5G phones tend to be more expensive than 4G phones not everyone has one, but if you know someone who is on T mobile service and has a 5G phone, and they do a speed test in your house, well, then you will know the speeds you can expect from 5G T mobile home internet.

Thanks. That is what I was wanting to know. I do have a buddy with a 5G phone and will get a speed test done with his phone.

Thanks again.