Question

Windows laptop can't find T-Mobile Home Internet network... but all other devices can

• 10 February 2021
  • 68 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Just set up my gateway… working fine for the most part, but it doesn’t appear in the list of available networks on my Windows 10 laptop. Phone, tablet, another laptop elsewhere in the house… the network shows up just fine on all those devices.

Any idea what would cause this? TIA!

68 replies

Badge

Do you have both 2.4 and 5ghz broadcasting? I think some older laptops can’t see both 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Do you have both 2.4 and 5ghz broadcasting? I think some older laptops can’t see both 

I do… interesting theory. Any thoughts as to a workaround? Pretty sure I don’t want to disable either one...

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

you can take that same laptop and connect it to any other wifi source just fine though?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yep, works just fine with every other Wi-Fi network I’ve ever tried.

Mine won't connect to tmoble wifi either but connects find to different Wi-Fi networks that I've tried.. following 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Mine won't connect to tmoble wifi either but connects find to different Wi-Fi networks that I've tried.. following 

What’s your hardware? I’m using an Asus laptop that’s probably 3-4 years old.

What’s your hardware? I’m using an Asus laptop that’s probably 3-4 years old.

About the same.. age wise and its an asus too.. but even my daughter’s tablet / laptop combo wont connect to tomobile wifi. It conected to Spectrums just fine. 😞 Both of them connected to spectrum but my wifi name isnt even popping up to select it. 

Badge

I do… interesting theory. Any thoughts as to a workaround? Pretty sure I don’t want to disable either one...

If they’re both broadcasting then it should pick up the right one. I have a Tovala oven connected that only works with 2.4 and it’s working. That’s super odd. I have two asus laptops myself that connect fine but the oldest is only about 3 years old so it might be newer than yours. 

I have the exact same issue. It won't show up on the list of available networks of my laptop. It has windows 10 too. It shows and works fine in other devices (laptops, cellphones, tablets). I don't know what to do about it

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Does the laptop support the type of security you selected for the WiFi from the modem?  Older laptops might not work with WPA2.  Try setting the2.4GHz and 5GHz to WPA Personal to see if that works.  

Userlevel 3
Badge
  1. Which TMobile device are your talking about? Is this the New Nokia Gray Tower?
  2. If so, how did you set up the Wifi network in your home, did you set your own SSID’s or are you using the TMobile WiFI name?
  3. Did you select your own channels? Or do you have it on “Auto”?

The reason for my questions is because of this;

The Nokia Tower offers a wide selection of Wifi Channels which is fantastic. These channels are used world wide meaning not all channels are used in all countries. Its a global device. The Channels offered to us in the USA includes some channels with restrictions and not commonly used in typical routers. In this respect the Nokia router is superior, as you can truly set a channel in a crowded wifi area that no one else uses. 

The down side is, since these channels are not commonly used in the USA some devices are not programmed/capable of seeing them. So if you set your own channel you may have selected channels your device can not see, change it to a commonly used channel or simply set it to “Auto” and let the device choose your channel for you. 

More or less, it is something with your computer and not the Nokia Tower. Try refreshing your network on the computer because no matter what, its should be seeing the 2.5 network at the least, no matter what settings on the router. 

1. Which TMobile device are your talking about? Is this the New Nokia Gray Tower?
  2. If so, how did you set up the Wifi network in your home, did you set your own SSID’s or are you using the TMobile WiFI name?
  3. Did you select your own channels? Or do you have it on “Auto”?

The reason for my questions is because of this;

The Nokia Tower offers a wide selection of Wifi Channels which is fantastic. These channels are used world wide meaning not all channels are used in all countries. Its a global device. The Channels offered to us in the USA includes some channels with restrictions and not commonly used in typical routers. In this respect the Nokia router is superior, as you can truly set a channel in a crowded wifi area that no one else uses. 

The down side is, since these channels are not commonly used in the USA some devices are not programmed/capable of seeing them. So if you set your own channel you may have selected channels your device can not see, change it to a commonly used channel or simply set it to “Auto” and let the device choose your channel for you. 

More or less, it is something with your computer and not the Nokia Tower. Try refreshing your network on the computer because no matter what, its should be seeing the 2.5 network at the least, no matter what settings on the router. 

How do I change set it to "auto"? I have the nokia gray tower. I changed the name it with and it works on all other devices but on my laptop's list of network does not show. I don't know what you mean by select your own channel. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Auto is not the setting you want to set your router to for WiFi Channels!  There are a lot of devices out there that are very specific about the channels they will work on.  3, 6, and 9 are usually the most compatible channels but also usually the most congested channels as well.  Nintendo is well known for not liking anything other than 3, 6, or 9 for the Wii, Wii U, and DS/3DS.  If your laptop can see the WiFi to connect to but can’t connect to it.  Then it is more than likely the security setting that is preventing it from connecting.  It could also potentially be the channel but that is much less likely.  Channels 1, 11, 12, 13, and 14 for 2.4GHz and 5GHz are usually the least compatible channels to set your router to.  If it can’t see the WiFi connection at all on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.  Then the issue is more than likely with the laptop.  Whether it is a hardware compatibility, firmware compatibility, or driver issue.  That will take a little more effort to narrow down.  

I have been trying many things but a 3 year old Lenovo laptop also does not show the Tmobile gateway as an option.  All other computers and devices have connected fine.  Unfortunately this is my husband’s laptop and he would like to connect using it. I will keep trying things but I hope someone can help resolve this.

PROBLEM SOLVED.  I was having the same issue with an older Asus laptop. When I had the 4G LTE router/modem from T-Mobile the network would show up on my laptop but once I got the 5G one the network wouldn't show up on my laptop but it would show up on all other devices. The work around I found was purchasing the TP-Link RE300 range extender. You connect the range extender to the 5G router/modem then connect the problem device to the range extender. In my case it was my laptop which is now connected to the range extender and working fine. This range extender is 2.4ghz and 5g compatible. Not sure if other range extenders would work as this is the only one I own and have tried. Also, I just ran a speed test and there's no noticeable difference in speed due to being connected to the range extender instead of the T-Mobile router/modem directly.

The range extender I bought was only like $30 or $40 dollars and was very easy to set up. 

I hope this helps someone experiencing my scenario where Laptop WIFI Adapter Driver is old...

After installing the T-Mobile Gateway Gray Kit I was unable to see the SSID name in the list of available networks on my 2017 HP Laptop running Windows 10, but everything else in the house connected, since I renamed Gateway to the previous router SSID name. I searched the type of wireless adapter I have in laptop, Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265, and visited Intel site to update Wireless adapter Driver to the latest for my device, 19.51.33.1. After the update I am able to see the Gateway SSID and laptop connects.

To find WIFI adapter name: Right click internet icon in Task Bar > Open Network & Internet Settings > select ‘WIFI’ > ‘Harware Properties’. Look for Manufacturer Name an Model. Go to manufacturer site and search for driver download; mine was an executable file, which installed and updated after a few prompts.

One may access the T-Mobile Gateway Settings by connecting Laptop directly to Gateway via LAN cable into back of Gateway and enter 192.168.12.1 into browser. One may view and modify the 2.4GHz and 5GHz WIFI Networks Settings. Username: admin > Password: (Is what you determined during installation, or the default listed on bottom of Gateway.) I’m using my laptop on the 2.4GHz network, so I changed the Gateway Channel from default 1 to 11, this didn’t affect the other devices already connected. None of these changes had any affect on laptop SSID discovery until after I updated the Driver.

PROBLEM SOLVED -
5yr old Asus Laptop, I was not able to see the SSID on my new 5G T-mobile home router.   I had been able to see my old Verizon Fios router from this laptop.   All my other home computers, phones, devices were able to see and use the T-mobile 5G router without problem - no drops.  

I downloaded the “Intel Driver & Support Assistant” from the Intel web site.   It told me that I need 3 different updates one of which was for my WiFi adapter.  After updating the Wifi adapter and rebooting the Laptop, I’m now able to see, and connect to, the T-mobile 5G.   

Badge

Was having the same problem, tried the solution above by JaimieCF (except my extender is an el-cheapo Xiaomi brand)and it worked. Thanks.

Just set up my gateway… working fine for the most part, but it doesn’t appear in the list of available networks on my Windows 10 laptop. Phone, tablet, another laptop elsewhere in the house… the network shows up just fine on all those devices.

Any idea what would cause this? TIA!

Me too it’s happening me too

Vypur solution worked for my 7 years old lenovo laptop with intel wireless card.

I checked drivers update available for my wireless card and downloaded and installed all suggested updates.

Without any tweaks on bands and frequency It worked after the update and a simple restart.

Go to Device Manger, scroll to 

Net work adapters click on it 

You see wireless device, mine was (Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160)

right click then click on  update driver

done!!!

Hello all. I am new to the TMobile Gateway. I just got the grey Gateway tower and I am having the same issues with my older laptop not connecting or even seeing my SSID. Everyone else in my house can connect and be on it just fine but when I got to connect my laptop it won't come up. It's a Toshiba Satellite Pro L850 series running Windows 8. I have done everything I can think of to find my connection. I went in and made sure my Wifi adapter was up to date, rolled back the drivers and even went in to command prompt and did the config. Still nothing. What am I doing wrong or what do I need to do to get it to connect??

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Hello all. I am new to the TMobile Gateway. I just got the grey Gateway tower and I am having the same issues with my older laptop not connecting or even seeing my SSID. Everyone else in my house can connect and be on it just fine but when I got to connect my laptop it won't come up. It's a Toshiba Satellite Pro L850 series running Windows 8. I have done everything I can think of to find my connection. I went in and made sure my Wifi adapter was up to date, rolled back the drivers and even went in to command prompt and did the config. Still nothing. What am I doing wrong or what do I need to do to get it to connect??

I had the identical problem with an older laptop with a Realtek adapter, where the newest driver update did not solve the problem of connecting.

The T-Mobile 5G gateway is WiFi6, which has advanced encryption and shared SSIDs, which some older equipment cannot handle.

Going through the many threads here on this issue, it appears there are at least 3 ways to solve this, if the driver update does not work.

Basically, activating and renaming the SSID of one of the 2.4GHz channels so that it is not shared, lowering the transmission mode to an older standard, or lowering the encryption (WPA) to an older standard.

I was having this issue with:

Realtek rtl8723au 

and 

Edimax EW-7811Un (Popular for raspberry Pi units)

My fix on the 5G gateway was to change the following in 2.4 GHz settings

Transmission Mode from “Auto (ax/g)” to “n/g”

worked for both devices. For really old network cards (Hands up if you still use windows xp!), you could change this to “b/g” or even “b”, but if it does not support WPA, you would (NOT RECOMMENDED) be required to disable encryption all together...I would recommend an ethernet cable at that point.

I hope this helps someone experiencing my scenario where Laptop WIFI Adapter Driver is old...

After installing the T-Mobile Gateway Gray Kit I was unable to see the SSID name in the list of available networks on my 2017 HP Laptop running Windows 10, but everything else in the house connected, since I renamed Gateway to the previous router SSID name. I searched the type of wireless adapter I have in laptop, Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265, and visited Intel site to update Wireless adapter Driver to the latest for my device, 19.51.33.1. After the update I am able to see the Gateway SSID and laptop connects.

To find WIFI adapter name: Right click internet icon in Task Bar > Open Network & Internet Settings > select ‘WIFI’ > ‘Harware Properties’. Look for Manufacturer Name an Model. Go to manufacturer site and search for driver download; mine was an executable file, which installed and updated after a few prompts.

One may access the T-Mobile Gateway Settings by connecting Laptop directly to Gateway via LAN cable into back of Gateway and enter 192.168.12.1 into browser. One may view and modify the 2.4GHz and 5GHz WIFI Networks Settings. Username: admin > Password: (Is what you determined during installation, or the default listed on bottom of Gateway.) I’m using my laptop on the 2.4GHz network, so I changed the Gateway Channel from default 1 to 11, this didn’t affect the other devices already connected. None of these changes had any affect on laptop SSID discovery until after I updated the Driver.

Same issue here and this is what I also did. Great advice here!