Question

Windows laptop can't find T-Mobile Home Internet network... but all other devices can

• 10 February 2021
  • 68 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Just set up my gateway… working fine for the most part, but it doesn’t appear in the list of available networks on my Windows 10 laptop. Phone, tablet, another laptop elsewhere in the house… the network shows up just fine on all those devices.

Any idea what would cause this? TIA!

68 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Known issue on older devices. The Intel WiFi drivers need to be updated.

I have updated the drivers, changed the Channel, enabled and disabled the wifi device. Nothing works. This is a Dell Inspiron 7548.I am very frustrated by this.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

I have updated the drivers, changed the Channel, enabled and disabled the wifi device. Nothing works. This is a Dell Inspiron 7548.I am very frustrated by this.

Have you tried one of the other methods mentioned earlier?

1. Activating and renaming the SSID of one of the 2.4GHz channels so that it is not shared (basically allowing non-WiFi6 access)
  2. Lowering the transmission mode to an older standard (example, ax/g to n/g)
  3. Lowering the encryption (WPA) to an older standard (example, WPA3 to WPA2)

Just confirming that my problem is fixed by doing what has been said here in this post:

My Lenovo YOGA/Flex 15 laptop (pretty old, from about 2014-5 or so) running Windows 10 needed a driver update for its Intel wireless chip.  I have an Intel N-2760 wireless chip.  Previously I had a driver from 2015.  The latest I could find was a 2019 driver.  Installing the new one fixed the issue of:

1. not seeing the SSID of the T-Mobile Gateway

1. not being able to connect to the T-Mobile Gateway and get internet service

thank you

Dell Inspiron something something, about 4 year old laptop.

I had to use windows updater (optional updates) to update drivers. I had intel wifi and a realtek driver that I updated so idk which actually fixed the issue.

I tried installing intel wifi drivers from website and it was ‘up-to-date’. Even with the instel system diagnostic software.

Never figured out how to change channels and stuff. My only options are to use combined or 2.4 and 5 separated. Couldn’t find any advanced settings to do more than that.

All this is a common issue because of the age of your client device(laptop, phone etc). This is because the wireless card in the device does not support the newest 2.4ghz bands that the T-Mobile devices comes defaulted to. 

You do not need to buy an extender or any other piece of equipment, only change one setting on the router. 

You will want to log into the router settings, theses are found on the bottom of the T-Mobile device. 

Navigate to:

1. Network
  2. Wi-Fi Network
  3. 2.4ghz
    1. Change Transmission Mode from “Auto(AX/G) 
    2. Start with N/G - if your device still cannot see the Wireless Network - go to next step
    3. Change to B/G

Due to the age of the device it is not a big deal to have a lower transmission speed on the 2.4ghz channel - all modern devices will connect to the 5ghz channel or WiFi 6 if your device supports it. 

Hope this helps! 

If you need any other IT Services feel free to reach out to us! www.cloudITaustin.com 

PROBLEM SOLVED.  I was having the same issue with an older Asus laptop. When I had the 4G LTE router/modem from T-Mobile the network would show up on my laptop but once I got the 5G one the network wouldn't show up on my laptop but it would show up on all other devices. The work around I found was purchasing the TP-Link RE300 range extender. You connect the range extender to the 5G router/modem then connect the problem device to the range extender. In my case it was my laptop which is now connected to the range extender and working fine. This range extender is 2.4ghz and 5g compatible. Not sure if other range extenders would work as this is the only one I own and have tried. Also, I just ran a speed test and there's no noticeable difference in speed due to being connected to the range extender instead of the T-Mobile router/modem directly.

The range extender I bought was only like $30 or $40 dollars and was very easy to set up. 

From other recommendations in this thread, I split the T-Mobile Gateway 2.4GHz and 5GHz signals via 192.168.12.1/home and it DIDN’T work. I also upgraded my network adapter’s driver, it’s BIOS, and Windows 10 before trying the RE330 and none of that worked either. 

However using JaimieCF’s suggestion, I purchased a TP-Link RE330 Wi-Fi Extender from Amazon for about $35 AND MY LAPTOP CAN SEE MY SSID AGAIN!

Details (May 20, 2022):

Laptop: Dell Latitude E7240

Network adapter: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, driver 21.10.1.1 (even though Device Manager says it’s v.18.33.11.2… reinstalling the new driver confirms it’s 21.10.1.1 *shrugs*)

Wi-Fi: T-Mobile Gateway, Firmware 1.00.16

Range Extender: TP-Link Mesh Wi-Fi Extender RE330

tl;dr -- buy the RE330.

Do you have both 2.4 and 5ghz broadcasting? I think some older laptops can’t see both 

I do… interesting theory. Any thoughts as to a workaround? Pretty sure I don’t want to disable either one...

I had the tmobile experts walk me thru creating 2 separate "channels" one is 2.4 and the other is 5G. Just learned though that some newer wifi devices ( Ring cameras for example) won't connect to a wifi that uses symbols in password like #$^ !  So be mindful as you set yours

Not a computer geek, electronic hobbyist 60+ years, electronic service rep for a year--all this to give background.  I believe Anthony C’s post above was absolutely correct.  Set up Gateway, connected 2 smart TVs, year old Lenovo laptop (Win 11), 20 yr old Toshiba laptop (Win 7), old HP desktop (Win 7), two smartphones to Gateway with no trouble--WiFi listed on all 7 devices.  All devices have been on our Century Link WiFi router.  Could not get 9 yr old Lenovo 11S to find Gateway.  Traveled with this laptop for business/pleasure, never problem connecting before.  Spent between 2-3 hours with TM tech assist, yesterday, no luck.  Came across post about transmission channels, logged into CL router, was transmitting on Channel 6 (not set on Auto).  Changed TM Gateway to channel 6 (from auto), laptop display would not list Gateway (I had deleted the CL router already).  I then did what Anthony C recommended, changing the Transmission mode from (Auto) AX/G to N/G and immediately the Gateway appeared.  I can’t explain how a 20 year old laptop and a desktop, both running Win 7 can identify the Gateway Auto (AX/G) and this Lenovo couldn’t, other than a Network Adapter quirk.  I probably spent 4 hours or more of my own time updating the adapter driver, searching the web, another few hours with Tech Support.  My suggestion:  Do as Anthony C suggested--log in as administrator and try changing the transmission protocol.  TMobile Tech support needs to get with the program.  Thank you, Anthony!!

I solved this problem by changing the Transmission Mode to “n/g”.

How?

Open the admin panel by typing the “Admin IP” into the address bar of your web browser. The “Admin IP” can be found on the sticker on the bottom of the tower.

On the left, click “Networks” then “Wi-Fi Networks” then 2.4GHz.

“Transmission Mode” will be the first setting on the right. It’s probably set to “Auto (ax/g)”. Change that to “n/g” or any value which your network card supports.

Then scroll down to the bottom and click “Save Changes.” This should be applied almost immediately and the Wi-Fi network should begin showing up.

Why?

The transmission mode “ax” is a newer standard. “g” is well supported by since the mode says “Auto” it was probably choosing “ax” instead of “g”. Both “n” and “g” are well supported so choosing “n/g” is a good bet for fixing your problem but you may need to try some other option if you have really old hardware.

We choose to change the 2.4GHz network instead of the 5GHz network because 5GHz is new and if your hardware doesn’t support the newer transmission modes it probably also doesn’t support 5GHz.

The best thing to do if you can. Return to modem and go back to who you hade before making the switch to tmoblie. I’m stuck in limbo. Tech support doesn’t know how to connect my laptop to the modem I keep getting rerouted to different tech supports. This was to good to to be true. Internet works but laptop unable to see tmobile modem. I keep talking to people that is unable to speak english

PROBLEM SOLVED.  I was having the same issue with an older Asus laptop. When I had the 4G LTE router/modem from T-Mobile the network would show up on my laptop but once I got the 5G one the network wouldn't show up on my laptop but it would show up on all other devices. The work around I found was purchasing the TP-Link RE300 range extender. You connect the range extender to the 5G router/modem then connect the problem device to the range extender. In my case it was my laptop which is now connected to the range extender and working fine. This range extender is 2.4ghz and 5g compatible. Not sure if other range extenders would work as this is the only one I own and have tried. Also, I just ran a speed test and there's no noticeable difference in speed due to being connected to the range extender instead of the T-Mobile router/modem directly.

The range extender I bought was only like $30 or $40 dollars and was very easy to set up. 

YOU, SIR, ARE A GENIUS.

I actually had this in my stock of random "one day I might need to use" items & the instant I read your words *TP-Link RE300 range extender* I immediately knew I needed to go find it quick like. 

Somehow it translates the signal from one standard to the other.  My desktop computer's old USB wireless adapter was bought back in 2019 so it wasn't that old.  Happens to be TP-Link branded, too. 

I was scratching my head on this one here until I started looking to the Internet to see if I was alone & sure enough, you fine people also had the same headaches 

Thank you to JaimieCF for your wonderful solution to our problems.

I'm so glad I kept this device because it turned out to be a lifesaver right now.  I have the TP-Link RE105 model & I think I paid 40 at Best Buy.  

This solution works wonders. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The addition of a range extender makes sense to me if the client, say a printer or game device will not allow you add a USB network adapter. I had the same issues with two older clients that could not connect to the T-Mobile gateway. I bought the newer compatible USB WiFi adapters for the clients. Installing an older slower device in between as a shim is ok but not the best approach. I have never had a good experience with range extenders but they are useful in some cases. If you are going to use a range extender don’t buy a cheap one or you may be disappointed. My suggestion is to update/replace the adapter on the client with a newer USB wireless adapter and disable the old wireless adapter that cannot communicate with the newer bands. 
If you run Linux as an operating system there are some very solid USB adapters with driver support. Why run an old 802.11b adapter when you can run a newer, faster frequency? If the need for distance and signal penetration is there sure but with band steering on 802.11ax the transmission should be able to adapt to communicate. Update the client instead of putting a work around in between when possible. Just my 2 cents. 

Do you have both 2.4 and 5ghz broadcasting? I think some older laptops can’t see both 

Is this done via the computer device? 

you can take that same laptop and connect it to any other wifi source just fine though?

I can for sure, but not T-Mobile, which is my own network.

Just confirming that my problem is fixed by doing what has been said here in this post:

My Lenovo YOGA/Flex 15 laptop (pretty old, from about 2014-5 or so) running Windows 10 needed a driver update for its Intel wireless chip.  I have an Intel N-2760 wireless chip.  Previously I had a driver from 2015.  The latest I could find was a 2019 driver.  Installing the new one fixed the issue of:

1. not seeing the SSID of the T-Mobile Gateway

1. not being able to connect to the T-Mobile Gateway and get internet service

thank you

Where and how do you install it?

I hope this helps someone experiencing my scenario where Laptop WIFI Adapter Driver is old...

After installing the T-Mobile Gateway Gray Kit I was unable to see the SSID name in the list of available networks on my 2017 HP Laptop running Windows 10, but everything else in the house connected, since I renamed Gateway to the previous router SSID name. I searched the type of wireless adapter I have in laptop, Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265, and visited Intel site to update Wireless adapter Driver to the latest for my device, 19.51.33.1. After the update I am able to see the Gateway SSID and laptop connects.

To find WIFI adapter name: Right click internet icon in Task Bar > Open Network & Internet Settings > select ‘WIFI’ > ‘Harware Properties’. Look for Manufacturer Name an Model. Go to manufacturer site and search for driver download; mine was an executable file, which installed and updated after a few prompts.

One may access the T-Mobile Gateway Settings by connecting Laptop directly to Gateway via LAN cable into back of Gateway and enter 192.168.12.1 into browser. One may view and modify the 2.4GHz and 5GHz WIFI Networks Settings. Username: admin > Password: (Is what you determined during installation, or the default listed on bottom of Gateway.) I’m using my laptop on the 2.4GHz network, so I changed the Gateway Channel from default 1 to 11, this didn’t affect the other devices already connected. None of these changes had any affect on laptop SSID discovery until after I updated the Driver.

Vypur!!! You da man. Been trying to figure this out for 2 days. I have the same wireless adapter as you in my somewhat older Alienware computer. T-mobile wifi would not show up in the network list. Did show up for every other device in the house including Roku’s. I tried updating the driver by searching the internet for latest driver. Was informed that I had the latest driver. That is where the problem lies. I actually did not have the latest driver. Why it failed to determine that I don’t know. Anyway, I followed your advice and went to Intel site and found the actual latest driver and downloaded and installed. Then I immediately checked the wifi network list and viola!!! There was my elusive T-mobile wifi network ready to connect. All good now, so thank you sir for your help. THIS SHOULD BE YOUR FIX, EVERYONE. Don’t trust Windows to search internet and find latest driver. Go to site yourself and find it if you are having issues.

Thank you so much.  This is what worked for me, and my 10-year old laptop...which worked fine on every other wireless device, prior.  I read this last night, Amazon delivered the TP-Link RE300 ($30) 25 minutes ago, and I am typing this connected, as you describe.  I really appreciate your efforts to not only solve, but to share.

Badge

If you have the round gateway, Etherphreak’s post will work every time.  It worked for me.  If you have the newer square gateway, your older network adapters won’t get wifi.  I had to buy a USB network adapter.  I wasn’t happy about it.

Just set up my gateway… working fine for the most part, but it doesn’t appear in the list of available networks on my Windows 10 laptop. Phone, tablet, another laptop elsewhere in the house… the network shows up just fine on all those devices.

Any idea what would cause this? TIA!

Quick fix:

Buy a USB adapter (Amazon $17 value) and hook it up to computer (5 minutes to do) and it will pick up the new T-Mobile Modem. I had the same issue with my old computer -- now I no longer have to use my unreliable phone Hot Spot.

Quick fix:

Buy a USB adapter (Amazon $19 value) and hook it up to computer (5 minutes to do) and it will pick up the new T-Mobile Modem. I had the same issue with my old computer -- now I no longer have to use my unreliable phone Hot Spot.

i was unable to connect an older microsoft surface pro to the t-mobile wifi, but all my other devices could connect. the network name was visible, but when i tried to connect i got an error stating that i could not connect to that network. i have a t-mobile black tower model FAST 5688W. first thing i did was insure that my wireless network adapter was up to date. i then disable and then enable the network adapter. i then tried connecting again and got the same error.  i then logged into the t-mobile internet app and created a second wifi network. i set new network's frequency band to “2.4 GHz” and the WPA Version to “WPA2”. i used this new network name to connect to my surface pro and the connection was successful. i left all my other devices connected to the original network.

Hi everyone, I had the same issue with my computer not seeing the SSID. in order to solve this problem in my windows 10 laptop computer I went to device manager looked up my network adapter name. then I went to the maker of the WIFI card on my laptop. In my case it was intel. (When i ran the update driver in windows it said that i had the latest driver) don’t listen to that, i went to intel’s site downloaded the exact driver that my device manager said i had, installed it and viola it saw the SSID. I am now connected. The intel site said that the card was discontinued but i still downloaded the latest driver which was from 2019. Try this it worked for me. Apparently windows only uses parts of the full driver.

This is how I fixed my issue with an old Dell Notebook PC with the following network adapter:

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160

I simply went to Device Manager, located that network adapter in the device manager, uninstalled it by right-clicking on that device, and then go to ACTION, “scan for hardware changes”, and then the WIFI network came up immediately!

Hope this helps!!!

Same issue as above. Have tried most of fixes (none worked) except for admin IP address to access gateway settings . Don’t see any way to change network settings when accessing using IP address. Just get generic info on device, etc. but nothing allowing changes as some above have indicated… Tmobile tech had no idea and Dell wants me to get new machine (of course) but 7-yr old Inspiron still performing very well except for this glitch.  Two afternoons of my life will never get back…