Question

Wireless Internet

• 26 January 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge

I’m considering purchasing the new 5G wireless internet service. Aside from having no data cap, how would doing so be any different than using my phone as a hotspot?

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

The biggest difference is it’s a separate internet service from your device’s internet service. You also more mobile with your device’s hotspot than you are with the home internet service. I’ve you just need internet for a specific location, Home Internet is a great choice. Check out our dedicated page for T-Mobile Home Internet for more specifics of what it does and how it works. If you’re interested, make sure to check the availability. We want to make sure it’s a right fit and it’s in your area before you buy it. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Two things come to mind: throttling and range. If you use your cell phone as a hotspot, your Internet traffic can be deprioritized (i.e., throttled) over other users’ traffic, most specially if you consume a larger amount of data.

Also, your cell phone is a low-power device, and it is unlikely that its wifi range would be large enough to cover a large area, like a medium-size house or larger.