Question

Worlds Longest Wait Time for Home Internet Support? Called about my home internet and screenshots show my progress or lack there of

• 22 November 2020
  • 9 replies

Badge

Just wanted to share a little bit about my wait times while trying to get support for my two tmobile products. The Home internet gateway router, and my tmobile Cellspot. I just got my home internet and my Home internet gateway router naturally connects to the Cellspot because its the strongest signal in the house. Whats the issue you ask? You guessed it….. No internet if its connecting to something plugged into itself. So my possible solutions I am looking for answers for are

1.) possibly forcing it to connect to a specific tower (very unlikely to happen for how the whole cell tower infrastructure is put together based on constantly moving devices and load balancing and my other factors)

2.) Blacklisting/blocking the “cell tower signal” from my T-mobile Cellspot to allow it to connect to any other tower (much more likely but still have my doubts that normal customer support will have the ability/knowledge to know how to do this)

last but not necessarily least

3.) Provide me a Cell signal amplification device from the main cell towers that does not interfere with my Home Internet Gateway Router. This one is hard because while they have signal boosters I am not sure but fairly positive that it would have a negative impact on my home internet speeds and bottleneck somewhat from having 5 T-mobile cellphones and a hotspot at times and a Home internet gateway router attempting to connect to such a booster due to it having the strongest available signal.

Anyways I am really hoping for option one or two, and now I am playing the waiting game……

Wish me luck and let me know if you have any other ideas or solutions to my problem :)

9 replies

Badge

taken awhile back and also posted on my first question post 

Badge

“Please have account number or phone number ready, A representative will be with you shortly” :rolling_eyes:

Badge

just another update 

Badge

so the call finally ended itself at 4 hours exact….seems like it could be programmed to just hang up but im not sure. anyways here is what shows the call ending exactly on the 4th hour. Maybe I will try again later as this is getting crazy 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I can also tell you from the standpoint of texting T-Mobile or using social media messenger apps that the wait time is about the same.

Just the way it is with a few people at call centers and however many people working remotely from home. Also keep in mind that these representatives have 10 conversations going on at the same time.

I’m not quite familiar with T-Mobile’s home Internet service. I would think that the device that they give you to receive signal might also transmit and work like a router however if it’s more like just a modem that receives T-Mobile signal I’m not sure why it would want to connect to the cell spot other than the fact that it is a tower in and of itself. If this was a Wi-Fi cell spot it would just be a router but I didn’t see you specifically state it was LTE or Wi-Fi.

I have had both the Wi-Fi and LTE cell spot. I don’t know of a whole lot of Wi-Fi cell Spot router users still out there as that device is mini years old however if that’s the device you were using it shouldn’t be connecting to the router for signal. I will say that when I used an LTE cell spot that my phone tried to connect it at times that the tower was somehow stronger.

Of course that begs the question why I had an LTE cell spot to begin with if the tower was stronger but even though the signal was stronger the speed was very weak. The LTE cell spot was supposed to remedy that but it was also limited to band two and four I believe. Maybe band two and 12 I don’t really remember but I know it did not have 66 and 71.

so if you are using an LTE cell spot in conjunction with home Internet that might be the issue. The sale spot is always going to have a stronger signal than any tower anywhere nearby. Have you tried to disconnect that cell spot? I don’t really see why T-Mobile would be using older hardware for newer services.

I may be completely off base here but please forgive me.

Badge

I can also tell you from the standpoint of texting T-Mobile or using social media messenger apps that the wait time is about the same.

Just the way it is with a few people at call centers and however many people working remotely from home. Also keep in mind that these representatives have 10 conversations going on at the same time.

I’m not quite familiar with T-Mobile’s home Internet service. I would think that the device that they give you to receive signal might also transmit and work like a router however if it’s more like just a modem that receives T-Mobile signal I’m not sure why it would want to connect to the cell spot other than the fact that it is a tower in and of itself. If this was a Wi-Fi cell spot it would just be a router but I didn’t see you specifically state it was LTE or Wi-Fi.

I have had both the Wi-Fi and LTE cell spot. I don’t know of a whole lot of Wi-Fi cell Spot router users still out there as that device is mini years old however if that’s the device you were using it shouldn’t be connecting to the router for signal. I will say that when I used an LTE cell spot that my phone tried to connect it at times that the tower was somehow stronger.

Of course that begs the question why I had an LTE cell spot to begin with if the tower was stronger but even though the signal was stronger the speed was very weak. The LTE cell spot was supposed to remedy that but it was also limited to band two and four I believe. Maybe band two and 12 I don’t really remember but I know it did not have 66 and 71.

so if you are using an LTE cell spot in conjunction with home Internet that might be the issue. The sale spot is always going to have a stronger signal than any tower anywhere nearby. Have you tried to disconnect that cell spot? I don’t really see why T-Mobile would be using older hardware for newer services.

I may be completely off base here but please forgive me.

yes its the LTE (tower internet). The way the technology works is the Tmobile Personal cellspot (Signal Booster) receives the cell towers transmissions and boosts them (transmits actual cell phone frequencies that matches tmobiles towers to work as a mini cell phone tower in itself) These devices are required to be registered with the network by the FCC as they retransmit cell phone signals. The issue comes in when the cellspot is transmitting a signal of a much higher strength than the cell towers,  therefore the Home internet gateway (4g LTE router/modem for home internet) selects that signal as the best one to use for the home internet gateway. Because of that I obviously have no internet because its connected to itself. That means that any one of the 3 options I listed above would easily remedy the issue but I need support that's willing to accommodate that (if I can ever get ahold of them) I understand using the home internet gateway and the cellspot in conjunction is the issue, But there is also an easy fix to that and should be considered and implemented for everyone considering on their own main page “Home internet is for people in rural areas that do not have access to other high speed internet”. With that being the case, I would assume a fair number of those people have on the lower side of signal as well which would would mean it would be great for both of those products to work with each other.   

Turns out with working with customers from a T-mobile side of things (Customer Service Rep) I am pretty familiar with that too as I live in Bellingham Wa right next to their call center and have many friends working for the company remote at this point with the covid crisis we have. 

Badge

Lets just top this off with my twitter response from T-mobile when trying another method to ask for help

Social media can only help with basic questions, they cant check accounts, look into certain things etc but direct to get help. 

You keep referencing cellspot as a tower and booster but that's not correct. There were 2 different types of devices, 1 was a signal booster which is no longer available. The other was the cellspot, the cellspot connects to home internet such as cable connection etc and then turns itself into a mini tower with speeds etc based on the home connection.

If you are trying to use a cellspot that is just not going to help this situation, home internet gateway needs to connect to the tower not a cellspot signal. If you even need a cellspot in the location then tmobile home internet is not for you since it needs to be using the towers.

If you live in Bellingham you should be seeing decent coverage, T-mobile has a huge footprint in that area.

As for wait times you factor in covid etc yeah every company I have to call has horrible wait times, a lot of companies are short handed. A lot of people are at home and have nothing better to do than call. A ton of people call in for useless things they can do on their own such as paying a bill. Why wait hours on hold for something you can do in a single minute….

Either way first off completely unplug that cellspot, do a complete reset on the router and set it up again and see if that fixes the issues, resetting mine with the little black reset button has fixed issues I had.

I am new to Home Internet and have been unable to reach customer service.  I have spent hours on hold.  What is the magic way to get support for this?  Not impressed thusfar.