Solved

Device Unlock

• 5 June 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge

So I’m in a bit of a pickle here. I purchased my iPhone 12 from someone whilst they were visiting Belize. However, the phone is carrier locked and I’m not sure how to unlock it. I read about the eligibility requirements but I’m not sure if my phone meets said requirements. The person went back to the states and I’ve been trying to get in contact with them to get more information but all efforts were fruitless. I just want the phone unlocked so I can use a Belize SIM card. Can anyone help me with this inquiry?

icon

Best answer by drnewcomb 7 June 2024, 01:03

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The person you bought it from needs to request the unlock code especially since it's an iPhone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

It’s unfortunate that so many non-US-residents are unaware of cellphone locking policies in the US. If someone I didn’t know well offered to sell me a locked phone, I’d look at him like he was offering me a rattlesnake. In the US most phones are either subsidized by the carrier or are sold on financing schemes. They are locked to the carrier to protect their interests and can only be unlocked after the buyer completes the payment contract. I’m sorry to be the one to inform you but your chances of getting that iPhone unlocked are about nil.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It’s unfortunate that so many non-US-residents are unaware of cellphone locking policies in the US. If someone I didn’t know well offered to sell me a locked phone, I’d look at him like he was offering me a rattlesnake. In the US most phones are either subsidized by the carrier or are sold on financing schemes. They are locked to the carrier to protect their interests and can only be unlocked after the buyer completes the payment contract. I’m sorry to be the one to inform you but your chances of getting that iPhone unlocked are about nil.

What's the odds that the guy who sold it will report it lost or stolen.