Solved

is there a way to unlock a google picel phone while traveling for a 2nd sim (keeping tmbile active on the esim) . my device is not yet paid off ?

• 22 December 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

I travel outside the USA often at least every 6 months and t mobile doesn’t often work in the countries I visit. I got a pixel phone assuming the travel unlock policy would allow a 2nd local sim . But this doesn’t seem to be the case in reality. I have to pay off the device in full .   I could have just bought an unlocked device in the first place without the hassle. 

Is there some other way to do this ?

icon

Best answer by HeavenM 27 December 2023, 17:54

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

If you bought the phone from Tmobile the Pixel will automatically unlock after 40 days of usage on Tmobile towers even if the phones is not paid off. With that said I'm not sure if the esim unlocks as well.

Maybe @tidbits can chime in on this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The eSIM will SIM unlock with the pSIM when the SIM Unlock is processed.  

Badge

interesting. Ive definitely used it for more than 40 days (more like 200+ days). One call to a tmobile rep says that they placed a request with a manager to unlock and I should hear back in a week.  2 weeks later, with no response, I call in again and this time I’m told I’m not eligible for unlock and the manager request is bogus (“sorry for the wrong information on the previous call”). Latest informaiton is I now need to initiate this from the phone from an “unlock” feature which I cant find yet.  Im requesting to unlock pSIM.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The SIM lock on the device affects both the pSIM and the eSIM.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

interesting. Ive definitely used it for more than 40 days (more like 200+ days). One call to a tmobile rep says that they placed a request with a manager to unlock and I should hear back in a week.  2 weeks later, with no response, I call in again and this time I’m told I’m not eligible for unlock and the manager request is bogus (“sorry for the wrong information on the previous call”). Latest informaiton is I now need to initiate this from the phone from an “unlock” feature which I cant find yet.  Im requesting to unlock pSIM.

The last 2 Pixels I bought for myself were from Google but I bought my wife a 7 through Tmobile and it was unlocked after 40 days.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Not sure what model of Pixel you have @Sridev but Google Pixel devices have a specific unlock app that you can download to process the unlock. No need to contact customer support. Our Mobile Device Unlock | Pixel 7 | T-Mobile US support tutorial shows exactly how to get the unlock done. You will need to use temporary unlocks until the device is fully paid off, but you will still get the service you need while abroad. 😎