Solved

Lock status confusion

Badge

I bought my new factory unlocked phone in Sept. 2022 (Samsung A53 5G). I signed up with T-Mobile a few days after receipt. No problems whatsoever. Now T-Mobile and other providers are telling me my unlocked phone is locked. T-Mobile says it shows in their system as locked but THEY DIDN’T LOCK IT. Advised to contact original provider (there was none). I see nothing on my phone indicating locked status. Today I contacted Samsung who verified definitively that the phone I purchase was unlocked at time of purchase and shows as unlocked currently. Was advised T-Mobile needs to look into this. T-Mobile, can you please look into this. I have just persuaded family to switch to T-Mobile. I hope I didn’t make a mistake. Also the Samsung rep sent proof of unlocked status to me.

Thank you in advance. Plz advise what further info I need to provide.

icon

Best answer by syaoran 30 June 2023, 19:50

View original

16 replies

Badge

Addendum..I am not looking to switch providers. I just want my “unlocked” phone back.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Some manufacturer's sell “unlocked phones “ that will lock to the first sim inserted. Apple is a big abuser of this. The reseller unlocked phones carry this policy.

Badge

Perhaps, but even still that provider cannot by law hold your phone in locked status indefinitely. The problem here is that T-Mobile says they don’t have a lock on it. If they don’t, then who does? I believe my phone is and should not be locked by any provider. Just trying to figure this out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Where did you buy the phone? If it wasn't from Tmobile they don't have the imei number in their system to generate the unlock code.

If you bought it from Samsung they should of sent the imei number to Tmobile so they can unlock it after 40 days if you have a post paid plan and meet the requirements.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

If your devices model number ends in a U.  Those devices lock to the first SIM you out in them and the CSC converts the device to that carrier during the setup.  If your device ends model number ends in a U1, then it will not SIM lock to any provider and came from Samsung SIM unlocked.

Which did you buy from Samsung?  U or a U1?

Badge

Hi. It ends in UI/DS. I believe DSIs dual sim?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Dual-pSIM devices are not normally sold by Samsung USA.  International models are a completely different mess that T-Mobile USA has nothing to do with.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Luckily it's an Android phone and there's ways to unlock it without a carrier unlock.

Badge

Thanks gramps28. I’ll research that. Syaoran is that what the DS stands for?. I was just guessing. My original purchase paperwork does not state it is a dual sim phone. What kills me is I can get a list of available networks (can only do with unlocked) and it will register another carrier’s SIM card and I can make a call with a different sim.  Also no location will even test the phone to see if it’s really locked! One location did a quick scroll and said it was locked. Don’t know what she was looking at..should go back and ask. Mostly it’s T-Mobile reps on phone telling me it’s locked, but not by them, so they can’t unlock it because I didn’t buy it from them. Samsung suggested that I show T-Mobile the proof of the phone’s unlock status. They suggested that when T-mobile set me up they misconfigured something in their system. Also, if my phone had been previously locked, why wasn’t there a problem with T-Mobile setting up my new account?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I can still see other networks with a SIM locked device.  If you put in a SIM and it tells you that the SIM can't be used because it is not the SIM from the provider it is locked to, then it is SIM locked.  DS stands for dual-SIM usually.  That might be a European or Asian version.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Thanks gramps28. Just how? Syaoran is that what the DS stands for?. I was just guessing. My original purchase paperwork does not state it is a dual sim phone. What kills me is I can get a list of available networks (can only do with unlocked) and it will register another carrier’s SIM card and I can make a call with a different sim.  Also no location will even test the phone to see if it’s really locked!

There's 3rd party companies out there you can pay for an unlock or you can look for videos for do it yourself. I see them in my news feed occasionally.

Badge

@gramps28@gramps28 I recently bought a new iPhone 14 that's locked to sprint/T - Mobile in Ghana. How do I unlock it or contact them to unlock it

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@gramps28@gramps28 I recently bought a new iPhone 14 that's locked to sprint/T - Mobile in Ghana. How do I unlock it or contact them to unlock it

T-Mobile does not sell phones in Ghana.  

Badge

Yes, they don't so how do I unlock a phone locked to their network in Ghana. Can one help me contact them

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You need to be a customer of Tmobile USA and meet the usage and all the other requirements.

Main one being is that you bought the phone from Tmobile USA which you didn't.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Yes, they don't so how do I unlock a phone locked to their network in Ghana. Can one help me contact them

If the device is new, it would not meet the SIM Unlock Policy requirements. T-Mobile will not SIM unlock a device that does not meet the requirements. 

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/consumer-info/policies/sim-unlock-policy