Solved

Moto G Pure unlock

• 27 November 2023
  • 12 replies

Badge

I have bought my phone of someone in Australia which turned out to be locked by T-Mobile USA. I never knew it was locked especially to an American company. I have tried to unlock it and paid for it twice to get the code to unlock it. It costed me more than $100 just to unlock it but it never worked. I got emails back from the unlocking company saying the IMIE number is fake which is what  T-Mobile USA got back to the company trying to unlock it for me or I get asked to contact T-Mobile to unlock it or by visiting one of T-Mobile stores which is not possible because I am in Australia. When I contacted T-Mobile they couldn't unlock it for me either.... So what do I do now? Please help if you can... 

Attached screenshots including IMIE NUMBER.... 

THANKS 👍

icon

Best answer by gramps28 1 December 2023, 12:36

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Unfortunately Tmobile can only unlock phones for Tmobile USA customers.

Badge

The mobile is locked to their network which means they are able to unlock it with a code remotely... When I  put in my sim card in the phone it instantly asked me for the sim unlocking code.... Why not give me the code to unlock it 

Badge

Unfortunately Tmobile can only unlock phones for Tmobile USA customers.

Thanks but read my reply please 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Yes but look at the requirements to be eligible for an unlock code and see if you meet all the requirements.

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/consumer-info/policies/sim-unlock-policy

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

The mobile is locked to their network which means they are able to unlock it with a code remotely... When I  put in my sim card in the phone it instantly asked me for the sim unlocking code.... Why not give me the code to unlock it 

The sim lock you might be seeing might be from the fact the phone has a sim lock turned on, on the phone itself. I have this feature turned on ln my phone to prevent someone from swapping sims in my phone in the event it is lost or stolen.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hey there @Ebdah1! I used the IMEI checker on the T-Mobile Bring Your Own Phone page. It shows that it is a Motorola moto g pure phone, so that tells me that the IMEI is not fake. 

The reason it is not prompting for an unlock code is because newer phones no longer have you enter a code. The new way to unlock phones depends on the manufacturer and steps can be found on our T-Mobile device unlock T-Mobile Support page. 

• Motorola: Settings About phone > Device unlock > Continue

Have you tried these steps while the phone is connected to Wi-Fi? 

Badge

Thanks for your reply I did and a message says device locked 

X Device must be activated on T-Mobile 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Thank you for sharing the exact error message. The Unlock Terms and Conditions that @gramps28 linked above explain that there are some requirements that have to be met for a phone to be eligible for unlock. Any T-Mobile locked phone has to be used on the T-Mobile network for at least one day and at least 40 days had to have passed since that first use date. It seems like whoever purchased the phone from T-Mobile originally never used it on the T-Mobile network to make it eligible for that unlock. Since you are in Australia and don’t have T-Mobile service, your best bet is going to be going back to the person you bought this phone from and getting your money back. 

Badge

I got a sister who lives in Florida and I can ask her to send me sim from T-Mobile or I can send her the phone there to activate it on T-Mobile will that work to have it unlocked? Because I don't know the person who sold it to me and I can't get in touch with her either. Thanks for your help 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You will need to send it to your sister since it needs to be activated on Tmobile towers. The quickest way is opening a prepaid plan with $100 in refills and using on Tmobile towers for 17 days.

Badge

Thanks to you all for helping me out... I really appreciate it 🙏😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Considering how little the AUD is worth in comparison to the USD.  You might be better off visiting your local cellphone repair shop to see if they can unlock it for you for a fee.  By the time you ship that to Florida, get the SIM, add the $100 USD in refills, wait the 17 days after activation, request the SIM Unlock (which might take a few more days or more), and then shipping it back to Australia once SIM unlocked...  You could just buy a new phone or have had that one SIM unlocked locally for a lot cheaper.