Solved

Purchase direct from Apple

• 18 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge

I plan to buy an iphone direct from Apple to use my credit line and my carrier is Tmobile. It will be paid in full so its apple unlock. I was reading the  tmobile unlock policy and states that phone must be purchased from tmobile to be unlock? Does my iphone qualifies to be unlock by tmobile?

icon

Best answer by gramps28 18 January 2024, 13:32

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

If you buy the unlocked version directly from Apple it won't need to be unlocked by Tmobile.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Apple's reseller policy usually lock a device to the first SIM you put in the device unless you are 100% sure you are buying a non-carrier specific SIM unlocked device.  If your device SIM locls to T-Mobile or amy carrier's SIM you put in the device first.  You will need to meet all of the SIM Unlock Policy requirements for whatever carrier the device SIM locks to.

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/consumer-info/policies/sim-unlock-policy

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Since Apple is a first party seller and not a reseller you device will be unlocked out of the box even if you put a sim in it. 

If you get it from BestBuy or Costco for example they are resellers and will lock to the first sim put into those. To get them unlocked you will have to jump through a couple of hoops and make sure you keep your receipts.