Question

5G T-Mobile Home Internet - Pay fee and keep gateway for emergency use???

• 17 August 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge

Tried doing a chat with a T-Mobile rep, but they didn’t seem to understand what I wanted to do. Since 5G T-Mobile Home Internet is available at my house now, I would like to test it out, but since 2 weeks isn’t much time to verify long term service quality, I thought about paying the non return fee and keeping the gateway for emergency use. Our current cable based internet provider had amazing service, but since they were recently sold, there have been many blackouts and we can’t get our work done. So was thinking I could sign back up with T-Mobile when the current internet goes out and use the gateway I already have instead of waiting to receive a new one. Anyone know if this is possible? 

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

I thought about paying the non return fee and keeping the gateway for emergency use.

There could be a question of whether T-Mobile considers the gateway as lost or stolen, and would lock the gateway from service.

There have been gateways sold on eBay, that were locked and not able to be activated with T-Mobile.

An Amazon seller is selling refurb gateways for $200 with no reviews and unknown problems of activation, but would be less expensive than T-Mobile’s $370 non-return fee.

https://www.amazon.com/T-Mobile-High-Speed-Internet-Gateway-Renewed/dp/B09WF7BVBR