Question

Alfred Security Camera issue -- intermittent network connectivity loss

Badge

I installed my T-Mobile home internet router and system with two mesh extenders 4 days ago. I connected all of my Alfred security cameras to It. They have been successfully working for 4 days, until this morning. This morning the cameras are failing to connect to the wifi intermittently.  They connect for brief periods of time and then disconnect from the Wi-Fi network.  This is going on constantly with all the cameras, even those close to the router and the mesh extenders. All other connected devices such as rokus are working fine.  Any insight as to why this might be happening after working so well previously? All the Alfred cameras are up to date with the latest firmware. I have rebooted the cameras, I have reset some of them, and I've rebooted the T-Mobile gateway. I get three bars on my gateway and my other devices connected to the T-Mobile network are working great. Any insight would be appreciated.

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

@Hobbs1977, I came across the following post while looking for a solution. In short, many users who have cameras, thermostats and printers set up a separate SSID for those devices and set the security setting to the lowest setting (WPA/WPA2). Some users named their SSID something like “cameras” so that they don’t mistakenly connect their phones and tablets to the wrong SSID. 

Let us know what works. 

---------------------------------------------

I had the same trouble trying to hook up  devices when I first got it… Figured  it out and I’m pretty happy with it… Couldn’t connect lPIXMA printer, or my Dyson air purifier… Then I figured out how to do it… I think the problem is with a 2.4 /5ghz and the WPA3 security seatings  ..You need to go into the settings of the gateway, put to 2.4 ghz only , then put it to WPA/wpa2 at the easiest security( the first one ) ,… Try hooking everything up…  when I did that everything hooked up… after it  connected Then I switched it back to the  more secure settings..auto 2.4/5ghz and WPA3 and everything  stayed connected and it has worked great since .. no guarantees but you can maybe try that 

Badge

Thank you, I will give that a try. I will report back.

Badge

I added a 2.4 GHz Network, wpa2, And my Alfred cameras are still connecting intermittently to the Wi-Fi network. It's very frustrating because it worked so well for it 4 days. And in my situation my security cameras are very important.

Badge

I should add that with my T-Mobile gateway, there is only one choice for WPA encryption mode and that is AES I believe, the recommended encryption.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Try WPA/WPA2 with AES+TKIP.  And this should be a second network, for your cameras. Leave the default configuration for your other devices.

Badge

Try WPA/WPA2 with AES+TKIP.  And this should be a second network, for your cameras. Leave the default configuration for your other devices.

I have done this and it hasn't helped.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I missed that you have a mesh.  Can you set up a second network on the mesh, not on the gateway?  (Or does the mesh re-broadcast the same SSIDs as the gateway?)

Badge

I missed that you have a mesh.  Can you set up a second network on the mesh, not on the gateway?  (Or does the mesh re-broadcast the same SSIDs as the gateway?)

I'm not sure. I could call T-Mobile support and asked this question. That might be a good solution. I have also contacted The manufacturer of the Alfred security cameras. Hopefully they have some helpful information.

Badge

I have stabilized the connection to the Alfred security cameras (both inside and outdoor cameras) by removing the mesh extenders from my TMO internet setup.  I am now only using the gateway.  One of the two mesh extenders in my setup up stopped working (it was defective).  After that happened, the signal to the cameras improved dramatically, but their internet connections were still dropping on and off, just not as bad as before that mesh extender stopped working.  As an experiment I unplugged the second mesh extender and the camera internet connections became completely stabile. I have one outdoor camera which is on the edge of the signal coverage for my home and it occasionally disconnects from the internet.  I just reboot it and it usually reconnects.