crappy home Internet

• 12 February 2024
  • 16 replies

Badge

STAY AWAY from home Internet! HUGE mistake! When you have it it's just there nothing to rave about, but it just drops out and an hour or more with tech support... Still nothing. Can't even connect to a remote server to do a speed test.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Possibly a location issue … I still typically get +400Mbps, and sometimes +500Mbps on this.

Badge

Nope goes from good to nothing can't even get a signal to do a speed test.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Call customer service (if you can).  Its possible that you're range/signal (device,) limited.  If ‘good,’ is as good as you can get, they can diagnose signal (i.e. n71 good is different rhan n41).  Also , there's a device which has external antenna which “can” help.

Badge

Yeah had tech support every time they couldn't fix. I was told many excuses. Set reset bla bla bla after an hour or so I just had to wait. It would work and get 160 then can't even connect to a test site.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Like @formercanuck stated in his first post it's a location issue.

Badge

Not location not signal not equipment 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Not sure how you would explain this then.

Badge

Easy to explain sometimes it' works other times it doesn't. And tech support will tell me it should be working but it isn't. Garbage WiFi other times

Badge

Also have excellent signal and no location or other physical or equipment issues, and also having random dropouts, four just yesterday.

Happens mostly in the afternoon, when traffic  is higher. Completely breaks remote connections, which is hugely frustrating.

Each time, a reboot of the cell modem fixes it but the bottom line is, the service is not reliable.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Afternoon ‘peak time of day’ is more likely T-Mobile’s ‘deprioritization’ in effect.  Basically having their infra set the QoS tag low on home internet users to prioritize those on mobile devices.  I’ve been using this service for 1 year, and work remotely over zoom.  The ‘service’ itself is decent, HOWEVER, in your area, you’re getting the shaft due to the traffic in your area during peak times.

Badge

Afternoon ‘peak time of day’ is more likely T-Mobile’s ‘deprioritization’ in effect...

Thx, suspected as much.

Deprioritizing alone I wouldn’t mind; slow my connection down during peak use, no problem.

But a complete failure of the service, though not as bad as OP’s, is a major issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

While i agree that a complete failure of service would not be acceptable,  i only had one day where inhad a complete failure of service,  which included mobile.

If it doesn't work, AND service is listed as ‘excellent ‘, then there is either a problem with the device .. or the network.  Replacement of device is typically a logical start, depending on which device is being used. 

Badge

So I have had device exchanged, it has dropped out at 3 am and tech support said after rebooting power down checking network... It should be working. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Is it the same model as the one you had before ?

Note:  I’ve only had the Arcadyan KVD-21.  I have heard of cooling issues on Nokia and Sagemcom (I can’t verify this - as I’ve only had the above).  The supposed 5G Gateway (G4AR & G4SE) is a newer model, and I haven’t tried it (not available yet).

Badge

Been with T-Mobile phone for 12-13 yrs. No real complaints but I honestly won't stay with the home Internet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I suspect that many share the same feelings.  Many areas have poor service,  devices that don't work well.  TBH, this is mostly a method to make use of service that is existing.  For some, in rural areas, this beats satellite,  and many other services wont cover it.