DNS issue on T-Mobile ISP

• 5 August 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge

I switched to T-Mobile ISP a week back and only reason for that was couple of pretty good offers. From the time I switched I honestly was regretting as I was facing DNS issues with a few websites and sometimes my work VPN too. It will not be able to reach a few websites for a few minutes and then it would just work like nothing happened. Initially I could not understand what can cause this but then it occurred to me that it must be DNS issue. To my horror, I realized that DNS (and in fact even many basic settings) can not be configured on this T-Mobile gateway. I was facing this issue on a macbook, everything else just worked fine so I then thought of seeing what my macbook was using. It showed local network configured as DNS server, I removed that and added cloudflare’s DNS 1.1.1.1. That has fixed my problem.

In short: If you are facing trouble in reaching some websites periodically and this is happening only on a few devices then try switching DNS on your device to 1.1.1.1 or some other open DNS servers.

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Yes, I have been trying to work through my 403 error I tried 1.1.1.1 and a couple others, I am using a router that allows me to customize my DNS, Right now I am using NextDNS. I am just not sure if I am using the DNS that I put in the setting or if the gateway is overrunning it.