Question

Gateway signal

• 12 March 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge

It’s getting to the point now where almost every day I have a weak signal. System seemed to work just fine the first 2-3 months, but now 6 months of service and download speeds are horrible (often 1.4 mbps or even less!). My modem seems to be connecting to towers 30-50 miles away (i know this because it shows services, restaurants etc. “Near Me” that are 40 miles away!), when there is a tower less than 2 miles from my house! I have called and talked to customer service and they’re able to connect me to the tower near me while I’m talking with them, but within a couple days I experience the same problem all over again! The download speed is so slow I can’t use a single device, let alone my desktop and stream a TV signal. Why won’t the modem consistently hook me up to my nearest tower? This is so infuriating, because when the signal is good I have no complaints.I feel the only alternative for me is to try another service, but my options are very limited as I’m out in the country.

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

It’s getting to the point now where almost every day I have a weak signal. System seemed to work just fine the first 2-3 months, but now 6 months of service and download speeds are horrible (often 1.4 mbps or even less!). My modem seems to be connecting to towers 30-50 miles away (i know this because it shows services, restaurants etc. “Near Me” that are 40 miles away!), when there is a tower less than 2 miles from my house! I have called and talked to customer service and they’re able to connect me to the tower near me while I’m talking with them, but within a couple days I experience the same problem all over again! The download speed is so slow I can’t use a single device, let alone my desktop and stream a TV signal. Why won’t the modem consistently hook me up to my nearest tower? This is so infuriating, because when the signal is good I have no complaints.I feel the only alternative for me is to try another service, but my options are very limited as I’m out in the country.

No way your connecting to towers 40 miles away.. if your tower is not under 4 miles your not getting anything….your speed test might show connection far away but that is NOT where you are connected to!

Badge

Well I’d like your explanation then - the technician said she hooked me up to the tower located nearest me on the map which is <2 miles from the house (she provided exact address for tower). Bars went up immediatey to 4, and speed jumped to around 33 mbps. If I wasn’t “hooking up” to a more distant tower, then why were speeds at 840 kbps before I called her? Or did the tech do something else that wasn’t explained correctly? Just curious…..

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Well I’d like your explanation then - the technician said she hooked me up to the tower located nearest me on the map which is <2 miles from the house (she provided exact address for tower). Bars went up immediatey to 4, and speed jumped to around 33 mbps. If I wasn’t “hooking up” to a more distant tower, then why were speeds at 840 kbps before I called her? Or did the tech do something else that wasn’t explained correctly? Just curious…..

The tech said what you wanted to hear...That's all ..If you had speeds at 840 then you shouldn't be calling her at all those are great! 840 really? Im getting 100 and happy...

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

...If I wasn’t “hooking up” to a more distant tower, then why were speeds at 840 kbps before I called her? Or did the tech do something else that wasn’t explained correctly? Just curious…..

I agree, 840 kbps download speed is aweful.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

...If I wasn’t “hooking up” to a more distant tower, then why were speeds at 840 kbps before I called her? Or did the tech do something else that wasn’t explained correctly? Just curious…..

I don't think you understand ,, The router and phone that uses the phone system cannot hook up to Towers that far away. The signals do not travel that far,… that's why cell towers are placed every 3-4 mile's away. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I don't think you understand ,, The router and phone that uses the phone system cannot hook up to Towers that far away. The signals do not travel that far,… that's why cell towers are placed every 3-4 mile's away. 

No, I understand your point - I wasn’t questioning your comment on a router connecting to towers 40 miles away. Sorry for the misunderstanding.  I was just trying to point out that @Mallo_1 said his download speed was 840 Kbps before him calling customer support - not 840 Mbps.

Did you ever find an answer to your gateway connecting to a distant tower?  We are having the same problem.  The diagnostic tests clearly say we are connecting to towers over 100 miles away, consistently. When it connects closer we get great speeds but not when connected to the more distant towers.  Clearly “It’s not possible” is wrong.