Solved

Home Internet - Open ports for external access

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello,

I’m using FAST 5688W 5G Gateway and it seems that there is no advanced network settings on the admin page(192.168.12.1).

I need to open some ports for RDP and setup port forwarding. Please advise.

icon

Best answer by copz1998 29 March 2023, 23:54

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@jin735 you will need to use a router like a Netgear MR60 that you can use for Wi-Fi and Ethernet and have the ability to configure port forwarding and alike. the T-Mobile gateway is just a gateway/access to their cellular network for internet access. 

I hope this helps!

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

@copz1998 is correct. You cannot create a NAT, or modify DHCP on T-Mobile gateways. I, for one, would be curious about how your Netgear MR60 reacts if you hook it to the T-Mobile gateway in any other mode than Access Point Mode, where I don't believe you can do port forwarding.

Please educate me with your results.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@bocaboy2591 the MR60 works fine as both an access point and internet gateway. But, to avoid having the T-Mobile gateway step on the MR60 signal, the MR60 is just an access point to the TM gateway. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I configured AP mode with my router and opened some ports, but I cannot access it from external IP.

I think I need to open T-Mobile Gateway’s port for external access.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Alas, there’s the rub! That’s why most people on the Forum who need to NAT an address find they can't do it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Maybe T-Mobile corporate can provide a response to this thread? 

I did a quick search on the corporate website and did not find any references on how to deal with NAT concerns.

Same issue can’t find advanced setting and see that even having a router in between may not help

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

@jin735, take a look at this Nater Tater video on how to NAT a device on the T-Mobile network. I'd be curious to know if this works for you.

Do a search, this has been an issue for a couple of years now. Clearly T-Mobile does NOT listen to their customers because it seems nothing has changed since they introduced 5G Home Internet. 

It seems they want simple Plug and Play customers only

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Do a search, this has been an issue for a couple of years now. Clearly T-Mobile does NOT listen to their customers because it seems nothing has changed since they introduced 5G Home Internet. 

It seems they want simple Plug and Play customers only

The issue is that T-Mobile, Verizon and AT&T are selling Fixed Wireless Access (FWA) which is not the same as the Internet access sold by other ISPs, e.g., Xfinity. Take a look at your external IP address. Most likely, it is not where you live but in another location. I live in S. Florida but my external IP is in Bellingham, WA. That’s part of the way FWA works. I know that there are workarounds, but I haven't had a need to try any of them. When I need a local external address, I use Mullvad VPN and connect to an external network here in S. Florida.

According to the “Nater Tater” channel on YouTube, TMobile blocks all port forwarding. Verizon does not. TMobile also blocks pretty much all router configuration on the gateway (I have that Aracadian (sp?) one. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

If the T-mobile 5G internet does not give you a local IP address how does services

like MLB not think your outside your local area ?   With the news with Netflix tracking IP

address of password sharing, how does it know your not the account holder?  I believe

Netflix lets you roam a bit but you have to check back and log in one every 30 days or

so with that device.

This problem needs to be fixed at the T-Mobile end at some point so hardware that require

opening ports to connect to will work.  If you have to purchase a VPN that defeats the saving

and why you might have gone to T-Mobile 5G

From what I was told, T-Mobile uses a single ip for multiple devices/accounts. so if they opened up a port for one user it would be opening it up for several making it less secure for others.

I have no idea if this is true but I was them told if I got a business' account and a different router i might be able to. so far no luck. I need ports open so bad. 

Edit: it might be called CGNAT (Carrier-Grade NAT) 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I was told, but have not confirmed Verizon allows the ability to open ports on your home router.

Connect an ethernet cable to their 5G equivalent device and from there you can open ports

on your router for any devices you might own that require port forwarding.  Their 5G unit will

pass it on…    

K

I was told, but have not confirmed Verizon allows the ability to open ports on your home router.

Connect an ethernet cable to their 5G equivalent device and from there you can open ports

on your router for any devices you might own that require port forwarding.  Their 5G unit will

pass it on…    

K

This is true

Userlevel 1
Badge

pass it on…    

K

This is true

Thanks for confirming this..   This is the only thing that might hold me off on their 5G internet.

I have multiple IP cameras as well as other devices that require a port to be opened on my

router.   All my IP cameras do not go through a 3rd part for routing they all go directly

to my home ASUS router.   I also have a Synology DiskStation server that requires a open port

for access.

Ken

find it interesting that this is marked as solved when clearly it is not!  we are just signed up for t-mobile home internet (had COX) but now find that there is one MAJOR flaw in that we can no longer remotely access our IP cameras or home automation via port forwarding as we have been for years.  Glad we haven’t canceled COX yet as we may have dump t-mobile if there isn’t a way to get this working!

find it interesting that this is marked as solved when clearly it is not!  we are just signed up for t-mobile home internet (had COX) but now find that there is one MAJOR flaw in that we can no longer remotely access our IP cameras or home automation via port forwarding as we have been for years.  Glad we haven’t canceled COX yet as we may have dump t-mobile if there isn’t a way to get this working!

Heres the solution. SSH Tunneling. You can use SSH in combination with a VPS to forward your internal network port to the VPS and then you can use the VPS’ IP address to access your network. You have to set it up on a per port basis though. You can only have 1 port forwarded per ssh connection so you will have to use multiple ssh connections to the same VPS. I recommend using autossh to automatically keep the connection running should your network or VPS have a hiccup and temporarily lose connection. This docker container should be able to help https://github.com/jnovack/autossh