Question

Home Internet Speed

• 24 July 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

Question?

Has anyone called the help desk and tried to get sent to Tier 2 on a trouble I have been unable to get anyone to pass me on to someone who can help.  I have called over 6+ times and no one will pass me to Tier 2 help desk.

My issue:  I turn on the internet early around 6am and the internet is dead. I do all the resets, unplugging and noting, zero Meg speed…. Then along 09:30 am or so the internet is back on, running 50M or so.  In the afternoon it will get up to 150M or so.  Also, about 2 or 3 times a week at 9 or 10 pm the internet will go dead like a switch.  This looks like data priority to me…. Ok I am ok with that but not Zero speed.

I will skip all the self-trouble shooting I have done but when I call the very nice help center you get the same troubleshooting list each time.  Yes, I got a new gateway, Yes did multiple factory resets.

The gateway reports no errors, good connection to tower, I have not had any drops, cutoffs, restarts noting.

So, I have been pressing them asking is this some runaway priority of data issue.   Each and every one said no, “the tower is not busy”, “no one is working on anything”, “there is no outage”. “We strive for around 33M if the tower is busy”. They even access my gateway and can communicate with it fine.

So, I ask why do I have Zero speed for a few hours in the morning and evening…. Answer “can we send you a new gateway”.

As I write this on a Sunday the internet has not dropped below 150M all day, but Monday will anther day.

Questions? 

Has anyone got to tier 2 help desk  

Do you think this a reduction of data because of high traffic, live with it

Get another gateway

Something I never thought of

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@Daviske I was able to get a “tier 2” support desk when I explained that initial customer service agent from the Philippines that did not understand or comprehend my network design. 

The reduction in traffic is very unusual. As you probably know, the home internet access plays second fiddle to cellular traffic with T-Mobile and Verizon. I see a reduction (living near a freeway) during the commute hours. But, never less than 50-60 Mbps. 

You didn't mention which make/model gateway you have. I have the Sagemcom gateway and very happy with the results. 

Have you tried to rotate the gateway about 1/8th turn at a time to ensure the 5G antennas are facing toward your cellular antenna? Move it, check the metrics on your T-mobile Internet app > More (link at the bottom) > Advanced Cellular metrics > 5G. 

What band are you on? What are your current metrics (RSRQ, RSRP, SINR)? 

Given recent events with regard to requiring subscribers to give up the benefit of using a credit card to pay their bill if they wish to retain auto pay and the useless “support” one receives when dealing with the Philippine, antithesis of customer service, why are surprised to learn that T-Mobile could not give a rat’s rear about the service you are receiving. Their only interest in you is your continuing to pay them.

Go to the store where you got the gateway and get a new one, the problem probably resides in the unit you have. I am on my fourth gateway, the others just failed.

Consider how many millions of dollars T-Mobile will earn by not allowing the use of credit cards.

In effect they have raised their prices through the back door.  I will begin researching other carriers to rid myself this dishonest lying group. 

Good luck, you will need it!

Badge

I have a Sagemcom gateway.  I have replaced it once with no difference.  The Merics has always been good with a band 5G N41.

I have taken the gateway to the tower about 50 yards away and got 5 bars with a perfect metrics. BUT zero data speed...I am still sticking with the idea there is some runaway agressive data reduction at times.

I also live in a very populated area.

I expect it is traffic related but the help desk cannot see that, or they are told not to not say anything.

Do you have Facebook or Twitter?  If so, you can reach T-Mobile's T-Force though those. T-Force is the best customer support T-Mobile provides (Tier 2).

Someone said you are better off to DM them rather than post on the main page. Good luck! 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I have a Sagemcom gateway.  I have replaced it once with no difference.  The Merics has always been good with a band 5G N41.

I have taken the gateway to the tower about 50 yards away and got 5 bars with a perfect metrics. BUT zero data speed...I am still sticking with the idea there is some runaway agressive data reduction at times.

I also live in a very populated area.

I expect it is traffic related but the help desk cannot see that, or they are told not to not say anything.

I’d recommend going up the tree to either filing a BBB request if the local techs can’t help.  I’m ~400 yards and service is ‘Good’, and gets ~400/20 on n41 or 170/50 on n71.  If I put it outside (or open window), ~500/60Mbps on n41.  This is a suburban area, and the tower (sector) only covers a few blocks - which is good for me  Tower is capped ~700Mbps.   I have Arcadyan modem.