Solved

Location Detection . . . .

• 3 September 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I can no longer use my state’s lottery website on my desktop since getting T-Mobile internet.  Not when using Chrome or the Edge browser.  (The desktop has Windows 10.) They can no longer detect I am in my state.  Nothing I tried fixes the problem.  Yet I can use the website on my cell phone, which has T-Mobile.  Why can the website detect my state location on my phone and not on my computer?

icon

Best answer by bradgrant 3 September 2022, 14:43

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Have you tried clicking the little button next to the WWW link usually a 🔐 and allowing location permissions. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

It’s due to a flaw in the design of the lottery website that assumes the address of the ISP is the location of the computer. Bad design to assume this.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Have you tried clicking the little button next to the WWW link usually a 🔐 and allowing location permissions. 

No, I never clicked that little button ever in my whole life!  I assumed it was a symbol that meant the website was secure.  Clicking it both with Chrome and the Edge showed location was already allowed. Thus, your answer didn’t solve my problem, but it may fix the problem with others having various location problems.  It would be a quick fix. I ended up going back to Edge settings and changing a few more location ones, including giving my address.  But is it a good idea to list one’s address or not? I also cleared the cookies for the website.  One or both of those things solved the problem.  The site is no longer saying they can’t detect that I’m in the state.