Solved

My Internet is the Worst Internet I've ever had. (Home Internet)

• 6 April 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

This could be long because I am writing a lot to explain my situation. Recently, I purchased an entire gaming setup with money saved from work. I’ve finally got past all my audio issues because it was my first time ever using an XLR Mic (Audio Technica at2035) and a preamp (GoXLR Mini). And now after everything is done I would just like to play some Rust or Warzone with the boys on a Tuesday evening . But, through the morning till about 10pm.. my internet is unusable. Internet speeds were showing 0.18mbps trying it’s best(this issue has been occurring since I received the router, which was before the computer). On Discord my voice cuts out, my games lag, the audio lags, and I’m just so frustrated this is the only thing keeping me back. I’ve tried time and again rebooting my network card, updating drivers, restarting/updating pc, unplugging/replugging router, and now I’m thinking about upgrading the cat5e to a cat6. I’m genuinely desperate to fix my internet speeds. Does anyone know what could be happening?

(Also my network congestion shouldn’t be that bad. We have a TV that is used sometimes (not while gaming), and about 2 phones and one of them is mine and I turn off my Wi-Fi. I live in a suburban neighborhood. Also My Router is right next to my computer in the same room)

icon

Best answer by scryyy 6 April 2022, 05:49

View original

7 replies

Badge +1

So it seems that was the solution after all. I visited my local Walmart and picked up a cat6 7ft cable for only about $5. I plugged it in and immediately noticed how fast my load speeds were on google. Then, I ran a speed test and I was pulling 100 mbps! I was really surprised to see this, though I suppose this makes sense. If this cable was literally $5 and the cord I was using before was supposed to be a less superior version, then no wonder my internet was absolutely trash. Plus, I’m 80% sure we have had that cable for years. If you have slow ethernet, then absolutely get a cat6 or better cable. (One person will never ever require more than a cat6 or cat6e btw).

Don't know to what extent you listen to music vs making music, but as a music producer, I need the power and capabilities of a gaming desktop with a lot of ports. So the first thing I had to do was flip the script, if you will, and take the priority off of GPU and push (optimize it all to the audio size, and use ASIO Drivers and an audio interface). I imagine I might want to check out some games since I have it and I have though about using an Ethernet also. May I ask you, politely, did you just run your Cats directly through your modem bc I have erro beacons that run off fiber so I can't use Cat6 but have the port on the computer. Did you have to get something outside of your existing internet provider and/or run an additional line? My research has been inconclusive. Thanks in advance

Definitely upgrading your cables from CAT5 to CAT6 or better is a necessity for Gigabit, or better, speeds. CAT5 is actually incredibly old now. They’re working on CAT7 now. Cabling matters a lot, as do external antennae. I bet you could see a boost in speeds & a decrease in latency & jitter with an externally mounted antenna.

Badge +1

Don't know to what extent you listen to music vs making music, but as a music producer, I need the power and capabilities of a gaming desktop with a lot of ports. So the first thing I had to do was flip the script, if you will, and take the priority off of GPU and push (optimize it all to the audio size, and use ASIO Drivers and an audio interface). I imagine I might want to check out some games since I have it and I have though about using an Ethernet also. May I ask you, politely, did you just run your Cats directly through your modem bc I have erro beacons that run off fiber so I can't use Cat6 but have the port on the computer. Did you have to get something outside of your existing internet provider and/or run an additional line? My research has been inconclusive. Thanks in advance

Well the GoXLR Mini actually does all of the audio rendering in the device itself, so that doesn’t slow down my computer at all. I believe I’ve actually discovered it to be my plan. The internet still gets bad in the mid-day, like still about 0.1 mbps. I will just have to deal with it until I decide to upgrade my plan is all. As for the rest of what you said, I do plug it into the modem. And I just use an ethernet cable. I don’t know what erro beacons are, and I don’t know what it means to “run an additional line”. I’m not super smart about this kind of stuff.

Badge

T-Mobile's Internet access is the worst I have encountered in 20 years of hooking to the Internet all across the East Coast. My connection goes out 5 to 10 times A-day every day. No matter what I Dor what I do in following their instructions from moving the device to Turning it off and turning it along plugging it in unplugging it. It never solves the problem. I get a weak signal and there is nothing I can do because the device and the signal don't match. I can't help that T-Mobile has not put in a proper signal in my area the device tells me the signal is weak. It doesn't matter where I put it in the house I get 2 bars. I made a mistake in going with T-Mobile Turning it off and turning it along plugging it in unplugging it. It never solves the problem. I get a weak signal and there is nothing I can do because the device and the signal don't match. I can't help that T-Mobile has not put in a proper signal in my area the device tells me the signal is weak. It doesn't matter where I put it in the house I get 2 bars. I made a mistake in going with T-Mobile

What matters to me isn't what sort of computer I use, but rather what kind of capabilities I want, and which ports I need to have access to. Your first task should be to optimize your GPU and use ASIO drivers and an audio interface. You might want to try playing some games if you have it.Sure, I could have you run a Cat6 cable from the computer to your modem to get better reception. Many people do run an additional line to their existing internet service provider (ISP) to increase their internet speed. Some people have to get something outside their existing ISP and/or run an additional line to their home. My research was not conclusive, but I appreciate the thanks.

Worst internet ever! I am constantly unplugging and moving it around. I havent Been able to stream a show for more than 10 min! Absolute trash