Question

New to Tmo 5g Home Net with Arcadyan . Changing channels help ?

• 30 April 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge

New here and trying to get better signals in my area . I’m fairly tech savvy and wondering does anyone have luck changing the channel from Auto to a set channel from  accessing the gateway ?  I have decent speeds at night but it’s not good during the day . Already having fans shipped for the modem . Let me know anything on other tips . Thanks ! 

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

I’m fairly tech savvy and wondering does anyone have luck changing the channel from Auto to a set channel from  accessing the gateway ?  I have decent speeds at night but it’s not good during the day.

The Arcadyan web GUI is very limited in the parameters you trying to change.

Currently, there is a backdoor method to view and possibly change those parameters, such as channels.  The following video helps explain this backdoor method.

Hidden Settings - Arcadyan KVD21 T-Mobile 5G Home Internet

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I don’t have the Arcadyan router and the output of the video on Nater Tater’s YouTube video is a bit fuzzy for me so I can’t see if there are channel options for that gateway. The Nokia GW is much more robust and is easy to make such changes for local WIFI networks. Changing the local WIFI channels is not going to improve the cellular speeds. Fine tuning the location of the gateway for the 4G LTE and 5G NR signals could improve matters. You need to see the metrics to determine if there is truly a better location to improve the cellular signals. The mobile application, when it works, should provide the cellular metrics for both 4G and 5G. As I recall Nater Tater did post a command, http://192.168.12.1/TMI/v1/gateway?get-all that provides the readout of the values via JSON format. Not pretty but effective if the mobile application fails to work for you. I found it to work maybe 50% of the time for me on my iPhone 12 Pro so your mileage may vary. From a couple of posts it appears the mobile application does provide the info for the Arcadyan gateway. The Nokia GW is easy to get the cell metrics out of and a quick web connection into the GW interface is the quickest way with it.

Improving the cellular metrics usually helps. Reliance upon the LED display is pretty meh… as that is a general representation of the connections. Even if you can improve the cellular metrics to have a stronger and cleaner signal there is no guarantee. I say that as the tower communication and how it is working, load, configuration, possible issues with transmission equipment, external factors all come into the equation.

Suggestions to improve cellular reception:

• Contact support & determine if work/maintenance is being done on the tower. (external influence)
  • Evaluate the location of the router with respect to the tower. (internal influence)
  • Make sure the router is located at the most optimal location in the home.
  • Determine the location of the cellular tower & distance from the home
  • Evaluate the terrain between the home & cell tower (clear view, trees, hills, buildings etc.. between home and tower)
  • Relocate the router/gateway if possible to a better location in the home.
  • Locate close to a window, with no metal screen

Post specific router information to the community conversation:

• Primary & Secondary internet connection information (RSRP, SNR, RSRQ values)
  • Primary & Secondary cellular network information (PCI, Band, EARFCN/NR-ARFCN values)
  • -Router Model & software version in operation (Nokia or Arcadyan)

If you dont make headway collect and post metric values and more info and others can provide a more helpful response.