Solved

Cancel weekly download of games

• 6 November 2022
  • 22 replies

Badge

T-Mobile has a service where it automatically downloads and installs a new game, once a week.  How do I cancel this?  It is quite annoying, receiving something that I do not want.

icon

Best answer by HeavenM 12 December 2022, 22:28

View original

22 replies

I just disabled App Selector and that stopped it, I feel like it’s bad enough that Samsung gets to put in their own app store.

Look through your all apps for something called, app selector.  Disable it.  

It's not called "App Selector." Maybe it is called different things on different phones. You must be referring to the application called "T-Mobile App Experience." I was also sure it had to do with that application, but when I search through it, I cannot find anything to do with games. Surely there must be a solution other than just uninstalling things. There must be a way to just opt-out. They really need to fix this. I will try deleting this application too and hope it works, but I have a feeling it won't. I regret ever pressing yes when it first asked me.

I regret pressing yes too!  Nothing but stupid games that nobody wants.  There has to be a way to opt out of the effing thing.  I tried disabling app selector (it was called that on my S22+)  If you find out how to opt out please keep us posted!  I have been grasping at straws for the answer.  

I can't find anything called "App Selector" which most people seem to have. Ha ha so strange. My phone came with no such thing! So weird. Well, I'll try doing some more searching around later to see what I can find. Someone might even already have the answer, but probably won't even see this blog until it's too late. Lol. I'm sure we'll figure it out. Better yet, maybe we will get lucky and T-Mobile will suddenly decide to cancel this option and terminate the sending of automatic games, yay haha! :D

It won’t show up in the same area as all of your installed apps. You have to go under settings and then apps. I just uninstalled it. They really need to give you an option to OPT-OUT though...

Thank you for this. I have a galaxy S21 and I couldn't find the ap. I went under settings and under apps and found appselector and uninstalled it. BTW- T-mobile support is convinced they are not a part of game programs and that it's not related to the company. 

Badge

I HOPE THIS HELPS.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried Maia’s suggestion from this thread?

When you get your game download, pull down on the notification and tap the spotlight settings. There should be an option to set to “never” which opts you out of the weekly download. Maia shared a screenshot to show what it looks like. 

On my phone , its being downloaded by the "T-mobile Device Manager ".  Its under settings > apps > Device Manager . It cannot be disabled and i even when i remove permissions it still downloads the games

Access the Settings app on your device. Select Apps or Apps & notification settings. Locate and select the AppSelector or AppManager app, then select Uninstall.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hello all, 

Maia has posted some steps on how to stop the weekly game downloads through the Game Spotlight. I love that there are even screenshots. I am more of a visual person, so I found those extremely helpful. 

Check it out. 

It's not called "App Selector." Maybe it is called different things on different phones. You must be referring to the application called "T-Mobile App Experience." I was also sure it had to do with that application, but when I search through it, I cannot find anything to do with games. Surely there must be a solution other than just uninstalling things. There must be a way to just opt-out. They really need to fix this. I will try deleting this application too and hope it works, but I have a feeling it won't. I regret ever pressing yes when it first asked me.

It is called App Selector. >Settings >Apps >App Selector

Cancel weekly download of games

You must need to follow the following steps hope your problem will be solved.

1. Step 3: Look through the list towards the bottom where it says “Settings”. ...
  2. Step 4: Click on “App Download Preference”
  3. Step 5: Select the option that reads “Ask me every time” then click “Done”.
  4. Step 6: Click on “Auto-update apps”

And if you want to open the resources than you can on the game than go to settings and than scroll down and go to download and pause them, but in some online games like mobile legends you need to pause every time when you will on the game.

I regret pressing yes too!  Nothing but stupid games that nobody wants.  There has to be a way to opt out of the effing thing.  I tried disabling app selector (it was called that on my S22+)  If you find out how to opt out please keep us posted!  I have been grasping at straws for the answer.  

I can't find anything called "App Selector" which most people seem to have. Ha ha so strange. My phone came with no such thing! So weird. Well, I'll try doing some more searching around later to see what I can find. Someone might even already have the answer, but probably won't even see this blog until it's too late. Lol. I'm sure we'll figure it out. Better yet, maybe we will get lucky and T-Mobile will suddenly decide to cancel this option and terminate the sending of automatic games, yay haha! :D

It won’t show up in the same area as all of your installed apps. You have to go under settings and then apps. I just uninstalled it. They really need to give you an option to OPT-OUT though...

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Apps, even the same apps, can vary by name on different devices.  If you remember what the icon for it looks like.  Download Package Name Viewer and see if you can find any apps with the same icon listed in there.  

Yes, I know what Epic is. But that has nothing to do with this. I don't even have Epic installed on my phone or anything. I did one time before but on my PC. I think it's better for PC use. It's like Steam, if you've heard of that. Trust me, Epic would have much better games than these ones that automatically download. The game this week, today, was about some pig collecting coins or something. I didn't even open it to find out. Lol. I'm too busy playing games on my Xbox to even care trying cell phone mobile games. I did try a couple of cool games on my phone, like Star Wars, and Assassin's Creed and Fallout Shelter, but they can all be played on Xbox too, so I guess I'm just not a phone games type of person. That's why this automatic game dowbloader thing is so annoying to me, because now I have to keep uninstalling games every week that I never wanted and never was going to play in the first place. I'm almost not sure why I even opted-in in the first place. That's how they trick you and get you, for advertising. It's all just an advertisement/marketing scheme is all.

I regret pressing yes too!  Nothing but stupid games that nobody wants.  There has to be a way to opt out of the thing.  I tried disabling app selector (it was called that on my S22+)  If you find out how to opt out please keep us posted!  I have been grasping at straws for the answer.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

How about an app called Epic. They offer a free weekly game.

I also thought maybe it's this thing called T-Mobile Play. Like "Google Play." But it turns out that T-Mobile Play is to play TV channels... not games. I'm really not sure why it isn't simple enough to OPT-OUT. If they've invented a new quick and easy way to automatically download free games to people's phones every week, then you'd think it would have been even much easier to invent an opting out button/system to go along with it. I mean, where do the games even come from then? They definitely come from Google Play because Google Play runs all the Android downloading. So how come in the Google Play settings or wherever there isn't a "weekly games" tab or something? I already checked. But I must have missed it. Right? It must be right under my nose, either that, or there is no actual way yet to opt the f**k out! :)

No, I don't. I'm pretty sure the Google Play Pass is something entirely different. I already tried looking there too. I think this has to do with T-Mobile probably. Because it was a pink colored application that asked me if I would like a free game downloaded automatically each week to try and I just pressed yes because I thought maybe it could be good games too, but then realized it was dumb games like Candy Crush style games. But the annoying thing is that the games will just keep downloading every week and piling up and taking space if you don't immediately uninstall them. Until there is a way to OPT-OUT, which I cannot seem to find anywhere I have looked. I have a Samsung Galaxy S20 or 21 or something. S20 Plus, I think. When the game downloads every week, the pop-up notification is pink. Pink means T-Mobile. If it was Google Play then it would definitely not be pink. You know what I mean? Lol.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Do you have a Google play pass?

I found the app selector and have disabled it.  We will see if it works.  Thanks for the tip!! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I agree! I'd like to find out how to stop this as well!