I received this to my TM phone: "T-Mobile: Introducing the Free 5G upgrade...."

• 28 April 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge

April 27l 2021 I received this to my TM phone:

“T-Mobile: Introducing the Free 5G upgrade. We're going to trade up your limited plan to UNLIMITED - for free! There's nothing else to do and nothing else to pay. It's the gift of Unlimited just for being a loyal customer. Get the details: t-mo.co/freeUnlimited1”

My current plan limits are:

“You currently have Select Value 30MB Data SMHS: Includes up to 30 MB of high-speed data on T-Mobile's network for no extra charge. Smartphone Mobile HotSpot service included. Speeds slowed after 30 MB.”

• so am I getting same 30MB / month LIMIT but at 5G speed?

– or –

* am I getting UNLIMITED but still at 4G LTE?

– or –

• UNLIMITED and at 5G speed?

Searched the website but only found this that sounds related to the UPGRADE (which I seem to be getting without even asking): “THE FREE 5G UPGRADE Unlimited 5G. Free 5G phone.

Switch to an unlimited plan at T-Mobile—with access to our full 5G network—for the same or better price as a Verizon or AT&T limited plan. Plus,…

So, I will be switching to an unlimited plan at T-Mobile (apparently) and website says – if I do – I get the same Free 5G upgrade as the text message informed mel

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I got the same message. I’m on a 2GB plan. (Which century did you get the 30MB plan from?)

Anyhow, it looks like it’s exactly what it says. T-Mobile is giving us a free 5G unlimited upgrade. You don’t have to do anything, you just get 5G speeds with no limit, except for only 6GB of tethered data at 5G speeds. Of course we’ll need a 5G device and live where there’s 5G service to actually get 5G speeds. I only have 4G phones on all 4 lines. But it’s a really nice bonus from T-Mobile! And at the same price ($100 for 4 lines for me). I‘m not complaining!

If you change plans then you lose your current price and could lose the 5G unlimited service, depending on what plan you get and what T-Mobile is offering.

Following on to this, has anyone confirmed that this is applied to their account? I have received the same message though my account page still shows my old plan. Is anyone else seeing the same?

Same here, plan still show 2gb data plan.  Confused!

I called Tmobile and they confirmed that all lines with limited data have been upgraded fo free. I have one line with $20 extra charged for unlimited 4G, but that fee is not going away as the promotion is valid only for lines with limited data. This is kinda weird: those who paid for unlimited will continue to pay, and those on limited plans are getting the free upgrade.

Badge

This is an issue.  The free upgrade is very nice, however I think part of the reason they did it is the old plans are not as competitive.  Now I have family leaving my plan because it is too expensive for what they can get elsewhere.  I am considering doing the same!  I should be able to remove the $15/line extra from my plan!