Question

Switching phones

• 2 December 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge

I just received my new phone in the mail. Do I need to go instore or order a new sim card to activate it, or can I just switch the sim card from the old phone into the new phone.  I would ask support but I cant call a the moment, live chat is either down or broken for me, and I do not have Facebook or Twitter. 

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Just moving your phone service from one phone to another is easily accomplished by transferring the SIM from the old phone to the new one. Moving the contacts, photos, messages, data & apps can be a bit of a chore and may be worth a trip to the store. In part it depends on if you are staying within the same ecosystem (e.g. Apple->Apple or Android->Android). Moving from like-to-like is not difficult; only time consuming. I recently helped my brother move from an iPhone 6S to an XR. It took about an hour of the phones talking to each other with occasional user prompts for action. I’ve moved Android-to-Android and it’s about the same. There are helped apps to make it easy. 

It might help if you told us what type of phones you have.

Badge

I am switching from a Samsung S9 to a Nokia 8.3, Both are Android. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’m not familiar with the Nokia 8.3. My OnePlus 8T has a “Clone Phone” app that allows me to copy stuff from my old phone to the new one. One way Android does it is to make sure your old phone is backed up to Google and then restore the new phone from the backup. The Nokia manual has instructions.

https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_us/support/nokia-8-3-5g-user-guide/switch-on-and-set-up-your-phone

Just put T-Mobile sims card in my at&t phone need help 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Is the AT&T phone unlocked?