T-Mobile SCAM

• 13 August 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge

If you see an offer for “Trade-in your old device get up to $800” do NOT fall for it. Even after reading all the fine print and such they will switch your original offer of 800 to a mere 100 and that is BEFORE even sending in your trade in. On your paper that you print out it will say “Accepted offer: (Amount less than advertised)” Going into a T-Mobile store will not help either as they simply send you to call customer service, and customer service is not helpful either as they just send you to a T-Mobile store. Be careful and stay safe of this “offer.”

Cali Cat 1 year ago

Usually that promo ,from what I've read on this forum, is that the other $700 will be issued in monthly bill credits.

That’s right. Promotional trade in consists of two parts:

1. Fair market value - this is the amount you will get as a lump sum credit once your trade in device is received and confirmed.
  2. Promotional value - the remaining amount minus fair market value will be credited int 12-24 monthly credits depending on the offer.

I’ve traded in 5 phones in the past 2 years using this type of promotion and it has always worked this way and I got every penny that I was promised. My most recent one was $720 trade in for an iPhone X for a 13 Mini. I got $90 one time credit and the rest is being applied over 24 monthly credits.

The promotional credit is to incentivize to keep your TMO line for 24 months because if you cancel that line before 24 months, you forfeit the remaining credit. Your new phone is also charged to you in equal monthly payments so your up front costs are only the tax and maybe shipping. It’s a win-win as long as you are reasonably sure you will keep using TMO for 24 months.

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Usually that promo ,from what I've read on this forum, is that the other $700 will be issued in monthly bill credits.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

The Magic words you have to keep in mind are ” UP TO “ that amount on your trade. 

If you see an offer for “Trade-in your old device get up to $800” do NOT fall for it. Even after reading all the fine print and such they will switch your original offer of 800 to a mere 100 and that is BEFORE even sending in your trade in. On your paper that you print out it will say “Accepted offer: (Amount less than advertised)” Going into a T-Mobile store will not help either as they simply send you to call customer service, and customer service is not helpful either as they just send you to a T-Mobile store. Be careful and stay safe of this “offer.”

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

That’s right. Promotional trade in consists of two parts:

1. Fair market value - this is the amount you will get as a lump sum credit once your trade in device is received and confirmed.
  2. Promotional value - the remaining amount minus fair market value will be credited int 12-24 monthly credits depending on the offer.

I’ve traded in 5 phones in the past 2 years using this type of promotion and it has always worked this way and I got every penny that I was promised. My most recent one was $720 trade in for an iPhone X for a 13 Mini. I got $90 one time credit and the rest is being applied over 24 monthly credits.

The promotional credit is to incentivize to keep your TMO line for 24 months because if you cancel that line before 24 months, you forfeit the remaining credit. Your new phone is also charged to you in equal monthly payments so your up front costs are only the tax and maybe shipping. It’s a win-win as long as you are reasonably sure you will keep using TMO for 24 months.

This happened to me too, two different stores at two different times they told me and my mother in law that $800 would be covered with our trade in and that we would only pay for upgrades (like extra storage). Fast forward to three months later and they’re trying to say we owe $609 and $370 on these phones, when we were told it would only be $200. Customer service told me the promotion never existed and that the MULTIPLE stores each gave us “misinformation” but they couldn’t do anything about it. Bye, T-mobile.

I am now having the same issue with 2 phones I trades for an upgrade. They told  Me in the store I get an $800 credit for each phone I trade in and upgrade, and that I only need to pay tax.  Fast forward 3 months later and I am being charged for the phones and they didn't give me any credit for the phones I handed them.  I called customer service and he is telling me the promo was for $400 witch even that I did not receive.  He escalated it to another dept.  I hope they rectify this, I have been with them for 9 years.

They have scammed me on this as well, was told $800 for my Pixel 7 Pro towards a Pixel Fold in the October 2023 promotion for my rate plan tier. They only applied a couple hundred.

Going in to a store to speak to the manager, pay off the phone, and port out.

I used to be lead at a store back when it was Powertel, and rode the transition from VoiceStream to TMobile. Hell of a thing to do to any customer. Last time T-Mobile gets my company's, family's, or my money.