Tmobile had a data breach in August 2021 and now my SSN has been found on the dark web

• 3 December 2022
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Why do we have to give cell phone companies our social security numbers when they clearly cannot keep them safe?

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

SSN is used to positively identify the customer and to also run a credit check for financing.

Userlevel 1
Badge

That isn’t what I was asking, but thanks for stating the obvious. And technically it’s to send us to collections if we don’t pay. I’m so sick of giving companies my SSN and having people file fraudulent tax returns using my info because these companies can’t keep it safe.

They didn’t even tell me they had a breach! 

Why do we have to give cell phone companies our social security numbers when they clearly cannot keep them safe?

No kidding! I just saw my SS# and account information online. Dang it! If you can’t keep stuff secure, don’t ask for the information!!

Badge

Be ready for another round of it lol https://www.t-mobile.com/news/business/customer-information

https://www.t-mobile.com/brand/customer-information-2023/

Here we go again… :-(  The weird thing is that Tmobile notified me of a reply in this “hacked” message forum and added to the end, oh BTW, someone hacked us with a bad API. No Social Security numbers though. They got those last time…..sigh...

Badge

ANOTHER BREACH IN 23 WILL THEY NEVER LEARN?!??!?!?

Does anyone else find it irritating that because of the breaches (multiple at this point), we are all getting more SPAM calls and PHISHing attempts? And that  T-Mobile offers SCAM SHIELD PREMIUM, which could help alleviate this, but expects us to pay for it? Shouldn’t they offer that to all of us for free for at least a year to help deal with our data suddenly being exposed?

I’m going to start researching my next wireless provider. I’m not going to wait until T-Mobile loses my actual payment info to someone nefarious. And their track record so far doesn’t lead me to believe this won’t happen.

I received a text message last week from T-Mobile instructing me to change my autopay from a credit card to either a bank account or debit card. That change in payment method increases my risk should another data breach occur.

I understand T-Mobile asserts that it has fixed its cybersecurity deficiencies and that the past breaches did not compromise customers’ payment methods. But can I trust a company that is a two-time loser in the cybersecurity game? At what point does T-Mobile take accountability for its demonstrated incompetence at protecting my personal data? How could T-Mobile summons the nerve to ask me for more personal data that has even a greater risk to me when T-Mobile has a track record of cybersecurity failures?

I’m sorry if this sounds paranoid, but I’m insulted that T-Mobile has threatened to increase my monthly bill by $5 per line (total of $30 per month, $360 per year since I have 6 lines) if I don’t provide them additional banking information that is even riskier than the current credit card information I’ve already provided. I suspect I’m on T-Mobile’s list of disposable customers since my account is over eight years old and may not be as profitable as newer customers.

Has anyone in this community had luck getting T-Mobile to understand that trust must be earned once it’s lost? Any recommendations on how I can better manage my relationship with T-Mobile? Changing carriers isn’t trivial, so I’d prefer to work this out. Curious if any of you have found a successful way forward?

Yea now T-mobile wants your debt card or your bank account number for auto pay. How you feel about that? Sure here have my bank account, so that can get hacked 

I received a text message last week from T-Mobile instructing me to change my autopay from a credit card to either a bank account or debit card. That change in payment method increases my risk should another data breach occur.

I understand T-Mobile asserts that it has fixed its cybersecurity deficiencies and that the past breaches did not compromise customers’ payment methods. But can I trust a company that is a two-time loser in the cybersecurity game? At what point does T-Mobile take accountability for its demonstrated incompetence at protecting my personal data? How could T-Mobile summons the nerve to ask me for more personal data that has even a greater risk to me when T-Mobile has a track record of cybersecurity failures?

I’m sorry if this sounds paranoid, but I’m insulted that T-Mobile has threatened to increase my monthly bill by $5 per line (total of $30 per month, $360 per year since I have 6 lines) if I don’t provide them additional banking information that is even riskier than the current credit card information I’ve already provided. I suspect I’m on T-Mobile’s list of disposable customers since my account is over eight years old and may not be as profitable as newer customers.

Has anyone in this community had luck getting T-Mobile to understand that trust must be earned once it’s lost? Any recommendations on how I can better manage my relationship with T-Mobile? Changing carriers isn’t trivial, so I’d prefer to work this out. Curious if any of you have found a successful way forward?

No way in hell I’d give them my bank account information.  T-mobile has clearly demonstrated that they are not capable of safeguarding customer private information.  They violate laws and obviously do nothing to fix the issue.  Charge more all they want but there is NO way I’d give them my bank account information.  It’s only a matter of time until they’d leak that as well like they have carelessly and repeatedly leaked names, addresses, date of birth, SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS, call records, account passwords, and more.  Not once.  Not twice.  Not three times.  Repeatedly and carelessly over and over again.  I’m in the process of moving to a better carrier.  The network performance is mostly decent (as long as there is no bad weather -- their network falls over in bad weather and power outages), but their demonstrated incompetence in safeguarding customer data should not earn them continued business.  

Badge

Does anyone else find it irritating that because of the breaches (multiple at this point), we are all getting more SPAM calls and PHISHing attempts? And that  T-Mobile offers SCAM SHIELD PREMIUM, which could help alleviate this, but expects us to pay for it? Shouldn’t they offer that to all of us for free for at least a year to help deal with our data suddenly being exposed?

I’m going to start researching my next wireless provider. I’m not going to wait until T-Mobile loses my actual payment info to someone nefarious. And their track record so far doesn’t lead me to believe this won’t happen.

How's your T-Mobile experience now days? 😁