Question

Travel to the U.A.E. and Amsterdam

• 8 November 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge

T-mobile community challenged here. I will be traveling and don’t want to get stuck with outrageous fees. Reading blogs and seeing that some folks have to get a new sim card, but if I am reading the T-mobile site correctly I should be good to go? I am on the Magenta plan and T-mobile site says that the network AND my note20 plus is compatible. How do I actually confirm this?

Any insights?

Thankings!

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@ree.T You should be fine since you’re on one of our supported plans. You can search those please using our International Roaming page and check the qualifying plans in our FAQ section to confirm this info. You can also log into your MyT-Mobile.com to confirm what you plan you’re on to give you more peace of mind.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I recommend reading the International Roaming Checklist. If you want to be really sure that you won’t have to pay roaming fees, go onto your account online and, under the user profile, you can turn off charged international roaming.

If you do this you will need to make all your calls over WiFi or use a 3rd-party calling app, like WhatsApp, Viber or GoogleVoice. (n.b. You’ll need to make sure that your GV line is divorced from your cellular line for this to work.)

Be aware that standard (free) roaming data is pretty slow. It pays to preload Google Maps of the areas you’ll visit. Depending on how long you plan to be there, you may want to purchase an international roaming package. It made a huge difference in data speed on my recent visit to Greece.

Badge

I recommend reading the International Roaming Checklist. If you want to be really sure that you won’t have to pay roaming fees, go onto your account online and, under the user profile, you can turn off charged international roaming.

If you do this you will need to make all your calls over WiFi or use a 3rd-party calling app, like WhatsApp, Viber or GoogleVoice. (n.b. You’ll need to make sure that your GV line is divorced from your cellular line for this to work.)

Be aware that standard (free) roaming data is pretty slow. It pays to preload Google Maps of the areas you’ll visit. Depending on how long you plan to be there, you may want to purchase an international roaming package. It made a huge difference in data speed on my recent visit to Greece.

Thank you! I will hop in and take a look. 

Badge

@ree.T You should be fine since you’re on one of our supported plans. You can search those please using our International Roaming page and check the qualifying plans in our FAQ section to confirm this info. You can also log into your MyT-Mobile.com to confirm what you plan you’re on to give you more peace of mind.

It looks like Amsterdam and U.A.E. are both on my plan. Thank you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Your biggest enemy will be scam calls. Be sure to set scam call blocking. Also, understand that if you make a local call (e.g. UAE->UAE over WiFi Calling, you will be charged as if the call originated in the USA.

You might want to use a lot of cellular data before you travel. T-Mobile wants >50% of your cellular data usage to be on-network. People who spend a lot of time on WiFi sometimes get tripped up by this.

For how long do you intend to be traveling?