Solved

Verizon charge me $800 because T-mobile didn't pay

• 11 December 2021
  • 10 replies

Badge

The representative at my local T-Mobile store helped us set up 4 lines and assured us that they would all be paid off when we switched our phones and numbers over from Verizon. When 2 of our phones couldn’t be unlocked immediately, he told us that it would be fine and that everything would still be paid off. Now that our phones are unlocked and activated, Verizon charged my debit card $800 for the 2 phones. When we called T-Mobile, they said that it had been too long since we got the lines and now they were not going to reimburse us that money. Either the representatives at the stores are uninformed of this or they just lie about it. I don’t know which, but I really regret switching over from Verizon. It is Christmas. What am I supposed to do?

icon

Best answer by drnewcomb 21 August 2022, 22:34

View original

10 replies

I had the same thing happen to me. I switched from Verizon to T-mobile in January 2022. The salesperson at the store assured me that T-mobile would payoff my phones with Verizon. I waited a few weeks but still received bills from Verizon with a balance of over $800 for my phone balance. I contacted T-mobile to find out why they hadn’t paid off the phone as promised. It was then for the first time that they told me that I would receive a debit card to pay off my phone. I never received the debit card even though I called T-mobile every single month. By August a rep for T-mobile asked me to send the last Verizon bill showing the phone balance which I did. She assured me that I would be sent the debit card in the mail. I found out yesterday that I was denied the reimbursement because it was not claimed in the allowed timeframe. What a bait and switch! T-mobile doesn’t deliver what it promises. I want my $800 back and will attempt to appeal this decision as it was T-mobile that didn’t process in the timeframe, not me. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I hate it when I hear stories like these because people should never be allowed to leave the store without understanding the exact sequence of events that need to happen, in what order and who’s responsible for doing what.

1. The customer pays of the balance on their phones.
  2. The customer requests any devices that are SIM-locked be unlocked.
  3. The customer verifies the unlocked status of their phones.
  4. The customer contacts T-Mobile (in store or by phone) and initiates the porting process.
  5. The customer obtains their final invoice from the old carrier and submits a copy of it to T-Mobile online.
  6. T-Mobile verifies the invoice and that the phones in question are now used on new T-Mobile service.
  7. T-Mobile sends the customer a prepaid (virtual?) MasterCard for the program amount.
  8. The customer uses the prepaid card any way they like.

I’m sorry I can’t do anything about the situation, I’m just a customer, not an employee.

Yeah, pretty upset about this. I switched from Verizon after being with them for 14 years. With the plans of having a long term relationship similar with T-Mobile. This is not a good way to start. Never received mine either. It’s been about 10 weeks since they told me I would be getting it in no longer than 8 weeks. I will give them 2 more weeks and if I don’t receive it I will be switching back. I know T-Mobile really doesn’t care because I’m a nobody to them but its a shame they have been this way. Just trying to warn other people. Not sure it was a smart move to screw someone who just stayed 14 years with their previous provider. They get to keep their 800 but will lose out on all the money they could have made on me. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

keep an eye on your email. especially your spam folder

Switched 3 lines over from Verizon to T-Mobile and was told to submit documentation and gave information over phone when setting up..year later- I've been turned into collections for Verizon or over $2000! I am beyond pissed. Customer service is horrible. Nobody speaks English and website for payments or ordering anything ALWAYS gives me some kind of problem. Calls drop.Just on hold for 20 mins, calls drops!!! Still go NOWHERE. Any advice?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I hate it when I hear stories like these because people should never be allowed to leave the store without understanding the exact sequence of events that need to happen, in what order and who’s responsible for doing what.

1. The customer pays of the balance on their phones.
  2. The customer requests any devices that are SIM-locked be unlocked.
  3. The customer verifies the unlocked status of their phones.
  4. The customer contacts T-Mobile (in store or by phone) and initiates the porting process.
  5. The customer obtains their final invoice from the old carrier and submits a copy of it to T-Mobile online.
  6. T-Mobile verifies the invoice and that the phones in question are now used on new T-Mobile service.
  7. T-Mobile sends the customer a prepaid (virtual?) MasterCard for the program amount.
  8. The customer uses the prepaid card any way they like.

I’m sorry I can’t do anything about the situation, I’m just a customer, not an employee.

the above post is technically the answer.. this is exactly how its supposed to happen. the carrier does NOT pay it off for you..

I specifically asked that very question and told them I wanted to know as I didn't have close to $2000 to pay the balance of 3 phones. I was told to upload the invoices/payoff amounts and tmobile would pay them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

sorry to hear that..unfortunately this is the same method used when leaving any carrier and attempting to switch to another carrier.

I specifically asked that very question and told them I wanted to know as I didn't have close to $2000 to pay the balance of 3 phones. I was told to upload the invoices/payoff amounts and tmobile would pay them.

This is what I was informed to do as well. I submitted the documents as I was instructed to do, now the promo has disappeared from my promotion page and I’m in collections with Verizon. I would have never made the switch had I not been told about this promotion. Customer service sucks for both T-Mobile and Verizon

Drnewcomb is wrong. You do not have to pay off your device with your previous carrier,  You just need to show the balance due and T mobile is supposed to send you a debit card. They sent me one and I used it to pay off my phone from Verizon.  They have not however sent a debit card to pay off my sons phone.  We have called several times and uploaded what we are supposed to and sitll nothing,  If they do not pay up soon and tell me the time frame has lapsed, I will take T-Mobile to small claims court.  I am not going to take it in the shorts for $475.  I am not happy switching to T-Mobile.  Their salespeople will fill you full of crap to get you to switch and than don’t deliver what they say.