who has authority to port a number

  • 3 February 2022
  • 1 reply


My son has full access for his line on our family account. I am the PAH.

His employment benefits includes cell phone coverage and he is seeking to port the number from T Mobile to another carrier. Does his “full access” give him the ability to port the phone number and cease service on that line with T Mobile? I am away from a phone and the US and would like to facilitate this over the internet. Pls. advise what he will need, if anything and what I need to do. Thank you


1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Porting a number away from your account has to be approved by the PAH.  This is usually done over the phone or in-store.  Try reaching out to the T-Force Team via Facebook or Twitter to see if it is possible to do through them.