Question

Help! Device Manager is auto-iinstalling apps from ads

Badge

This is happening on the S24

Some games from google play have ads that auto download applications.  I traced it back toT-Mobile's Device Manager allowing malicious ads to auto install applications.

That's right, just watching the ad downloads an app. T-mobile has made it impossible to disable this app.

I am fearful of this massive security hole. I am scared of malicious apps being downloaded.

I have seen other complaints over the last few months

What can I do fix this major security hole?

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

It's not from the device manager. It's from the App Selector. Just disable it. 

Badge

It is already disabled and apps still gets auto-installed. Now what?

It's not from the device manager. It's from the App Selector. Just disable it. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I have the S24U AppSelector and AppManager (I think this one can be uninstalled). Device manager does not install the apps as I would still be getting them as it can’t be disabled.

Badge

I have the S24U AppSelector and AppManager (I think this one can be uninstalled). Device manager does not install the apps as I would still be getting them as it can’t be disabled.

I already did that to appselector and un-installed appmanager.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Then it's some else you installed causing the issue. Did you uninstall T- Mobile Play?

Badge

Correct, T-Mobile play is un-installed.

Seeing that the notifications say Device Manager when long selecting the notifications of the apps that get installed without any action on my part, I am at a loss of what app I could have installed that masquerades as T-Mobile's Device Manager.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Check the permissions of the Device Manager. Possibly it does but needs permissions to do so. This is what mine looks like. 

Badge

I will try that. There are permissions set and it can change system settings. I deny all of it.

Thank you for sharing.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I don't know why those were active for you. Mine were off by default. Hopefully that'll fix your issue. 

Badge

Unfortunately, that did not fix it.

T-mobile's Device Manager is still trying to install stuff from an ad without any interaction on my part.

Thankfully, it failed this time.

Badge

I have decided to just uninstall and not use any apps that do this in the future. All I know is that the malware ads come from something called applovin.

I will be much more selective of what I get from the play store because even some popular apps shouldn't be trusted.

It is just too much of a security risk that that T-Mobile has created with their Device Manager allowing allowing 3rd parties to automatically download and install of potential malware.