Solved

LG V60 WiFi Connection Failures on 5GHz Band

Badge

LG V60 ThinQ frequently disconnects from 5GHz WiFi networks and will not reconnect or even see the network until I reboot the phone. No other devices experience this issue with my router / network. I have performed extensive troubleshooting restarting every component, changing the wireless broadcast channel on my router, etc. which does not resolve the issue. When will an update be released to fix this? This needs to be escalated to LG and Qualcomm and an update badly needs to be issued.

icon

Best answer by tmo_ian 29 May 2020, 21:10

View original

25 replies

Same issue here, definitely an issue when using mesh type setups, not regular 5ghz system. In my case I am using Google WiFi and the issue happens. ... So T-Mobile, please take the issue serious and get it fixed. Just upgraded to the V60 from a G7 and the G7 worked perfectly. Many people reported to LG and many even had their phones exchanged but the issue continues.

Exactly the same as WallyTheWalrus.  I was having this issue infrequently with my former linksys, but I switch to Google WiFi 2 weeks ago and both V60 now suffers this issues many time time daily.  The G7, still work correctly (as the third phone on the account)

I was reluctant to try an LG phone, but I fell for the 2-screen-2-phone-BOGO gimmick. So far this phone has been bleh. This issue doesn't help its case with me. Not a big deal if you have unlimited data. However, I just got a notification about going over 20gb, and wondered why. Now I wonder if I ever was connected wifi since I got this phone... Im forced to use data when I have no consistent wifi connection at home. Being throttled down due to the phone having issues is gonna be a problem... Why is this even marked solved?

I just purchased this phone and am having the same issue. Any update on resolution?

Any update on this issue, my wife and I both have the v60 and we both have this issue on our Google Nest WiFi. It's extremely frustrating!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

i activated my V60 on Saturday and have zero issues with either band over wifi. have you performed the most recent update for the V60?

Just wanted to add that I am still having this issue as well, even with the latest software update. I contacted lg support and the representative noted that they weren’t aware of this issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

i have not ran into this with my V60… i actually tested this back and forth this last weekend and forgot to post in here about it..ran as it should on both 2.5 and 5 at my home on Xfinity

Same issue here, definitely an issue when using mesh type setups, not regular 5ghz system. In my case I am using Google WiFi and the issue happens. When the phone goes to sleep it will not reconnect to the one access point but it will connect to one of the other points in the mesh system. If you reboot it all comes back and connects fine. This happens every night. I have heard many report on the same issue with same type of setups so we are not alone. So T-Mobile, please take the issue serious and get it fixed. Just upgraded to the V60 from a G7 and the G7 worked perfectly. Many people reported to LG and many even had their phones exchanged but the issue continues.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

I personally have heard about this being an issue. Is this only happening with 5GHZ connection? Have you tested 2.5 or another Wi-Fi connection all together to see if the same thing happens?

Badge

Connection to the 2.4GHz band of my WiFi network is unaffected. This occurs on the 5GHz band only. I even tested splitting my SSIDs and the connection consistently fails after about an hour or so each time I reboot the phone. Once the connection fails, the SSID disappears entirely from the list of available wireless networks and will not reappear until I completely reboot the phone. I have forgotten the network and reconnected multiple times, I have rebooted my wireless router multiple times, and even tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the 5GHz band. None of this resolves the issue. I don't have another wireless router to test and see if the same issue occurs on the 5 GHz band. The router is an AT&T Fiber issued wireless router, Arris model BGW210-700.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Are you running the latest software on your phone? I know you don't have another router, but that was be a great test to see if the same thing happens. You haven't seen anything LG's forum have you?

Badge

I have performed all available updates on my device. I see that others have

also experienced this behavior on multiple online sites and product

reviews. This is not a configuration issue, it is a bug in the product.

Please escalate this to LG and Qualcomm as soon as possible so that it can

be addressed in an upcoming release. This makes my phone borderline

unusable on WiFi and is extremely frustrating.

On a separate note, when connected to 5G mobile network, my data speeds are

far slower than the 4G LTE band, in the same location. I have multiple

speed tests from different sources online, and they all report the same

result. I only see between 5-9 MBPS on 5G, but receive anywhere between

35-60 MBPS when I force the phone down to the 4G LTE network. This is

vastly inferior performance on the newer network that boasts much faster

speeds and improved performance. This should also be reported for someone

to investigate in the San Jose, CA area.

I have a Samsung S10+.  Ever since I allowed the upgrade 5 days ago,  my WiFi is not working.  Won't find all available networks. Will connect but without internet.   This is so frustrating as I use my phone for work.   Any solutions?

I bought 2 LG V60 Thinq 5G devices from T-mobile since they had a special deal. I just wanted to say that I am also experiencing this same issue on both devices. I also submitted a warranty claim with T-Mobile (which cost me $20) and they sent me a third device which also had the same issue. Also, many people in the comments section of the article below are having the same issue.

https://gstylemag.com/2020/04/07/att-version-lg-v60-thinq-5g-quirks-and-issues/

Badge

I finally was able to test the 5GHz connection with another router and I am seeing the same behavior. This is definitely an issue affecting the device and not limited to just my wireless network. Has this been escalated internally?

Badge

What is the specific make and model of wireless router you are using? That info may help with your report for further investigation.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

I have sent this internally, but we haven't gotten anything internally mentioning this being an issue. You haven't heard anything from LG support personally have you?

Badge

No. They would refer your customers back to you since T-Mobile manages the

software on the device.

My router at home is a Zyxel, Model No: XMG3512-B10A

I'd like to add that I called LG technical support last week and they told me that this was not an issue they are aware of. Their only solution was to have me send in my device for repair which I have declined for now (this repair service would cost me another $20).

The GStyle Magazine article I shared earlier claims that Qualcomm was working on a patch to fix this issue. I'm not sure if perhaps this patch only went to AT&T customers. I'm also not sure how they obtained this information about Qualcomm.

Hello,

I was also running into this issue. My situation is the same where no other devices exhibit this. I did some troubleshooting and my findings are as follows:

Test 1

Using generic frontier fios router

-Phone disconnects from 5ghz band and disappears from available list. It is still under my saved networks.

-Router settings do not help nor does restarting phone or router (keeps disconnecting)

Test 2

Using 3rd party Netgear Nighthawk X6s AC3600 Tri Band router

-When connected phone retains connection to the band and does not disappear

Test 3

Initially connected to Frontier router then switch router out with the Netgear one without restarting phone

-Neither of the 5Ghz networks appear on the phone only the 2Ghz

-After restarting the phone, it connects to the 5Ghz band and keeps the connection without dropping

In my situation it seems that there is something with the phone that gets triggered by the Frontier router which drops the 5Ghz band completely. Is there any way of fixing this?

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

I've heard the same thing from our Support folks that Qualcomm is working on a firmware update to address this issue.I don't have any information on timing yet though.

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

There is a new software update out for the device, but it does not improve the 5GHz Wi-Fi performance. I'd still recommend getting it because it stops your V60 from muting randomly on speakerphone 😊

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Guys its a wifi going to sleep issue, on the phone.

you can do 4 things.

reset network settings on the phone and reboot it. (this will erase everything you saved from wifi connections)

Under advanced wifi, turn off sleep mode, or that the wifi stays on, while it’s charging. easiest fix for now.

resetting the phone back to stock will fix it. but most do not want to deal with that.

if It’s rooted you do the following! (you should know what to do)

fix the problem you can do the following:

To set it:
adb shell settings put global wifi_sleep_policy 2
To find out what it is now:
adb shell settings list global

Keep WiFi on during sleep: Always = 2
Keep WiFi on during sleep: Only When Plugged In = 1
Keep WiFi on during sleep: Never = 0

even if it’s working fine with other phones. Make sure, even if its for now that you have security enable to aes and tkip at the same time. this problem can also show up when people use a router with a bonded channel set at 160Mhz. (wifi 6)

I bought 2 LG V60 Thinq 5G devices from T-mobile since they had a special deal. I just wanted to say that I am also experiencing this same issue on both devices. I also submitted a warranty claim with T-Mobile (which cost me $20) and they sent me a third device which also had the same issue. Also, many people in the comments section of the article below are having the same issue.

https://gstylemag.com/2020/04/07/att-version-lg-v60-thinq-5g-quirks-and-issues/forum

Did anybody figure out the fix for this Wi-Fi issue ???

my Wi-Fi randomly drops at home and goes to 5G and doesn't reconnect automatically I have to go and physically press the Wi-Fi button and choose from the list ..  also at work it will not connect and will not even show my work Wi-Fi on the list anymore 

I've rebooted the phone several times I've rebooted the Wi-Fi and had to re-enter the password several times and then rebooted the phone nothing seems to work