Question

I have missed calls that when I check say "answered on other device"

• 23 April 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge
  • First activity
  • 0 replies

I have been checking my missed calls and for some reason, right below there’s a message saying “answered on other device”. I do not have call forwarding active nor do I have the “answer on other devices” active. Are scammers somehow using my phone number? Or has T-Mobile sold my information somehow and is being misused by someone else? 

5 replies

I have found that my wifes tmobile account is sometimes shared with her iPad.

and can be answered via the iPad.

I also recently had this experience with my Android - Google Pixel 7 phone. At the time of call I did not have any Bluetooth devices connected, nor do I have any other connected devices that can accept calls. The call rang once before it stopped, as if the caller hung up while ringing. My call log showed the icon indicating an incoming call had been answered, and in the details it said "Call answered on another device." It would normally show as "Missed call" in this situation.

There are scattered posts online of similar occurrences, mostly involving iPhone devices. One suggestion was that the mobile carrier (AT&T in that case) could be employing a call screening service of sorts or a robo call blocker, and when it catches/blocks such calls, the phone perceives it as having been answered on another device. However, I haven't been able to find any definitive answers on this.

It would be helpful if someone from T-Mobile could chime in and provide possible insight, as the natural concern is that this could be some new form of scam. For example, if a scammer was somehow able to connect/link a device to a victim's phone number, and could thusly use it to get past two step authentications. Similar to an older phone number porting scam used to bypass two-step.

Can someone from T-Mobile provide any insight? Or, if anyone else has helpful information, it would be greatly appreciated!

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

By chance you have Googles call screening turned on? Also I believe the Pixel line also has it answer intercept spam calls that way too. I don't have my Pixel 8 Pro anymore so I can't see/remember exactly what it did. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

By chance you have Googles call screening turned on? Also I believe the Pixel line also has it answer intercept spam calls that way too. I don't have my Pixel 8 Pro anymore so I can't see/remember exactly what it did. 

My Pixel 8 has that feature.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

My Pixel 8 has that feature.

I believe it's a Pixel 6 and up feature that started with the Pixel 8 line, and trickled down.  I know it would give a missed call is a robocaller called, but don't remember anything else. I missed that feature. Waiting for when Google makes a major change with their processor before I pick up another.