Question

is there a transfer fee

• 23 April 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

I bought an unlocked phone off of Amazon, cause it was the cheapest. I’m currently on my mothers plan and worried that there will be more expense, and a transfer fee (my current phone the one I’m using to type on this is fully paid off.) cause I wish to transfer this phone number and stuff to the new phone when it gets here?

second question, I got a Apple Watch that I’m still paying for currently I’m 17 turning 18 in June, could I transfer the Apple Watch to my own plan?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

There shouldn't be a fee to switch the sim to the new phone since you bought it off Amazon.

If you're going to start your own plan when you turn 18 and want to keep your phone number and watch you will have to do a change of responsibility and have your mom release the lines from her plan.

There is not a fee for moving active service from one phone to another unless you are in need of a new SIM card. Unless your new phone is e-SIM only, you do have to speak to a representative or go to a retail location in order to activate your new phone. Literally take the SIM card out of the old phone, put it into the new one, and your same number/ service is immediately on the new phone. 

If you plan opening a separate T-Mobile account when you turn 18 and absolutely want to keep your numbers then the only way to do so is to have your account holder call customer service by dialing 611, speak to representative and do a “change of responsibility”. The account holder will give consent to release the line and then you will be required to have credit ran in order to establish a separate account with the same phone numbers. When you do a change of responsibility you are not considered a new customer and are not eligible for any new customer or AAL promotions. 

If that sounds like a hassle then I’d recommend getting new numbers. You can easily set up a new account in person or through customer care. 

Badge

There is not a fee for moving active service from one phone to another unless you are in need of a new SIM card. Unless your new phone is e-SIM only, you do have to speak to a representative or go to a retail location in order to activate your new phone. Literally take the SIM card out of the old phone, put it into the new one, and your same number/ service is immediately on the new phone. 

If you plan opening a separate T-Mobile account when you turn 18 and absolutely want to keep your numbers then the only way to do so is to have your account holder call customer service by dialing 611, speak to representative and do a “change of responsibility”. The account holder will give consent to release the line and then you will be required to have credit ran in order to establish a separate account with the same phone numbers. When you do a change of responsibility you are not considered a new customer and are not eligible for any new customer or AAL promotions. 

If that sounds like a hassle then I’d recommend getting new numbers. You can easily set up a new account in person or through customer care. 

What’s an esim, and anyhow thanks for the reply!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

An eSIM is a downloadable SIM card for devices that support them.