Solved

what's the point of having a payment arrangement?

• 26 January 2024
  • 8 replies

Badge

So, I had a payment plan in place.  My payments were to come out 1/24 and 2/4.  I missed the 1/24 payment, but paid it yesterday, 1/25.  Got a text notification that my payment was received.  Then three hours later, I got a message that my account was going to be suspended if I don’t make the next payment now.  I called customer service, and they said there’s nothing they can do.  If I make the next payment now, I “can set up a new payment arrangement.”  Explain to me why I would need a new arrangement if I pay the whole thing off now?  An arrangement for what??  My up to date bill that’s not due for two more weeks?  I can’t pay the whole past due now, that’s why I had the arrangement in the first place!  I was one day late!  In the past, it’s never been a problem.  But today, since I was a day late, they say they “rejected” my payment arrangement.  Meanwhile, my account still says my next payment is coming out 2/4.  They are full of it, and customer service is absolutely useless.  I can pay the rest on the 31st, when I get paid again.  Is there anything I can do to avoid service interruption until then?

icon

Best answer by syaoran 26 January 2024, 15:16

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

If you miss a payment arrangwment once the payment arrangement has been setup.  The system automatically suspends your account.  You should always make sure you ask for a couple of extra days than you need to make sure you don't miss the arranged date(s) for overdue balances.  

Do you want a real answer? Because I have one for you. 
T-Mobile’s payment system never updates fully right away. If you made the first payment of your arrangement before service was shut off, despite it being a day late, YOU ARE FINE. 

The message you received 3 hours later is something worth ignoring. This is because your payment was already made, and you fulfilled your obligation. The system just didn’t fully update to recognize it yet. 

What you were told is FALSE. If you’re late on the first payment it doesn’t negate your entire payment arrangement. It simply negates the method of payment you put in for it as being “valid” so you will need to go in and manually update the method of payment for the second payment so that the payment arrangement schedule holds. 

Your service will NOT be shut off unless you also miss the second payment, again this is since you got the first payment completed before service disruption. (In fact, if you make ANY payment toward the first installment when it is due it will also delay suspension as the balance has not yet exceeded 30 days of being overdue - not permanently so get the remainder of the first installment paid ASAP if that ever ends up being the case). 

Sadly, there’s a lot of confusion, even within T-Mobile customer service, on the true factors affecting service suspension when tied to a payment arrangement. They’ve changed the rules and policy several times since 2020 so it’s no wonder you’re being given such inaccurate info. But, FWIW, the information I shared comes directly from a Billing Supervisor as of 2 weeks ago, and holds true to what I’ve experienced. 

If you miss a payment arrangwment once the payment arrangement has been setup.  The system automatically suspends your account.  
​​​​​​

No. It doesn’t. 

How long after your due date do they cut you off?

How long after your due date do they cut you off?

This is also what I want to know.

If you miss a payment arrangwment once the payment arrangement has been setup.  The system automatically suspends your account.  You should always make sure you ask for a couple of extra days than you need to make sure you don't miss the arranged date(s) for overdue balances.  

This is not true in my experience. 

I am not talking about a payment arrangement I’m talking about like if your bill is due April 15 you have no payment arrangement set up but you can’t pay your bill until April 20 without a payment arrangement set up. How long will you be OK?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I am not talking about a payment arrangement I’m talking about like if your bill is due April 15 you have no payment arrangement set up but you can’t pay your bill until April 20 without a payment arrangement set up. How long will you be OK?

That would vary depending on the amount of your monthly bill and if you are only behind by that bill and how often you don't pay on time.  In most cases, you should still have service for the next month