'E' instead of 5G or LTE

• 25 October 2022
  • 21 replies

Badge

The flip 4 was working fine until a few days ago where I see E on the signal bar and no more 5G or 5UC.  The issues is that when I see the ‘E’ my phone network disconnects easily and I have 2G data, which is frustrating.

Called T-mobile and they said there was a ‘modernization’ happening where I live.  I am about 100 miles away from my house and I am still getting that dreadful ‘E’.  I have cleared cache, reset network, reboot, manually select carrier, cleared cache in sim-kit apps to no avail. 

this phone was working fine until 4 days ago.  Please help

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

any other TMO phones around you? and if so are they seeing the same thing or no?

Badge

My family members have iPhone and they are not affected by this

Badge

I did mentioned that to TMO but the response was still the same

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

this points at the phone itself...are you able to take your sim card and toss it into one of the other phones? if you can try that and if the problem followed then its a sim card issue. if it didnt follow then its pointing at the device itself.

Badge

Thanks.  I went through all the new samsung phones (s. s+. s ultra and fold4) with similar issue.  Flip 4 worked great for about 4 weeks then this happens.  I guess another trip to the store for new sim card which should work for maybe 4 weeks….

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

was the only thing that followed with each device the sim card or was that changed at any point to a different one?

Badge

It appeared to be the sim card then the network.  I have been involved with both tmobile and samsung and they were both pointing fingers at each other.  Samsung fold, for example, I bought an unlocked version, and had similar experience.  T-mobile told me that they can’t work on nor help me with the account since I have the unlocked version.  Samsung, on the other hand, said that was ridiculous and the issue was my account.  Went back to T-mobile, they said there was nothing wrong with my account and other phones on my account was working perfectly, so it was the phone.

At this point, I am about to ditch Samsung and Tmobile.  I am tired but was hoping some here had similar issues and was able to show me the magic key….

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

oddly enough it could also be an issue with the network where youre at (not your home area)...but same deal though..if no other TMO devices around you are running into this then its probably not the network..

Badge

I agree but Samsung phones are not having issues with other carriers.  It appears that TMO is aware of this issue but ignoring it but that’s only my opinion due to the love of Apple products probably out numbers other android product.

My household is having the same problem. I have an iPhone 13 Pro, my daughter has an older iPhone, and my husband has a Samsung Galaxy. T-Mobile can’t figure it out and I’m at my wits end with the data and cell service issues.  After 18 years with TM, I’m about to break up with them for ATT. I have been troubleshooting with them since October!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

the problem follows you guys once you leave the house or do you regain signal once you have left by 5+ miles?

Problems at home and throughout the city (Jacksonville, FL)

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

safe to say all of Jacksonville FL isnt a dead zone..so this points more at something like an account issue.

especially since it affects multiple different devices no matter where you go.

Right?! What’s an account issue tho and how do I fix that?  Cause TM reps cannot figure it out! I do not want to leave TM! 😔😔

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

could be anything really.

contact TMO through one of their social media platforms like Facebook or Twitter..you start with higher tier support compared to the call in agent.s

Thanks!!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

*tips hat* no worries...doin what we do in here.

I have same issue for my samsung s22 ultra. My wife phone gets 5G. I spoke to technical support and they couldn’t resolve. And, got escalated to higher level. I will get to know in a couple of days. Its frustrating with both samsung and t-mobile on this lack of coordination. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

lack of coordination for what exactly? what should Samsung and TMO coordinate on exactly?

Userlevel 1

I’ve seen this happen on my Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra (with either psim or esim card).  Indeed they removed the pSIM and programmed the eSIM to try and resolve the “E” issue.  It didn’t help.

E stands for “Edge.”   What is happening is that the signal for LTE/5G gets lost and the phone backs down to Edge service to get a signal, But, once that happens, the phone does not try to switch back to LTE/5G until it completely loses the Edge signal.  Airplane mode toggle might fix this or it might not, however a reboot SHOULD fix this issue.

Once the Edge network is properly and completely decommissioned, this should no longer pose a problem, but it is still active in some areas.

The reason you’re not getting any data is because the Edge system is super, super slow data.  Today your phone uses so much data, Edge gets overwhelmed to the point your phone won’t function on it.  Only legacy devices will.

My household is having the same problem. I have an iPhone 13 Pro, my daughter has an older iPhone, and my husband has a Samsung Galaxy. T-Mobile can’t figure it out and I’m at my wits end with the data and cell service issues.  After 18 years with TM, I’m about to break up with them for ATT. I have been troubleshooting with them since October!

I'm too frustrated, the support team couldn't solve anything. They gave me a ticket n told me they would call me back. They coverage keeps switching the network connection types and ones it goes E it never switches back to 4G or LTE (which I've never seen on my primary phone, and see it in my older phone), unless i put my phone on flight ✈️ mode and back again. But lately they have been a torture for me. It's like I'm paying for nothing, and on the other end more losses on your work or business. I've had enough tbh