Solved

G4SE mesh?

Badge

What mesh system works with the G4SE gateway? My signal is in half the house and not outside at all. I have a good signal according to the gateway. I had no issue with the LTE I had prior. This system gives NO signal outside the house. I cannot control my outside lighting and my Blink cameras are sketchy at best.

icon

Best answer by nc1037 31 May 2024, 21:42

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’ve used Netgear wifi/router (was plugged into Cable modem in the past).  Use the Ethernet port and its all good.

Similarly, my Netgear also supports my old ethernet over powerline / wifi extenders (1st one plugged into ethnernet lan port on Netgear WiFi).

True mesh is probably simpler

Badge

Thanks for the info my Canadian friend but I don’t have “should work” money I am looking for an actual application. I bought a TP-Link AX3000 WIFI 6 extender and the Gateway would not recognize it. I don’t want to risk another return. I am asking if anyone has this G4SE gateway and use the mesh technology. There are many saying online that it will not work with the G4SE or G4AR.  The T-Mobile guy at the store could not answer this either neither could the T-mobile online chat lady. They told me to pay the extra 20 and month and get the T-Mobile mesh that they offer. They are out of stock but he said he thinks I can buy one he does not know how much it is but will call me back last week when they came in… Crickets. The G4SE is a great receiver unfortunately its engineering design for broadcasting a WIFI signal was tested somewhere where there are no buildings. Yes, I live somewhere in the boonies where this technology, a hot spot, or satellite are my only options or I would have a cable modem and Comcast.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

When you tried the TP-Link AX3000 (which is a router, not an extender), did you have it connected with an Ethernet cable to one of the yellow LAN ports on the gateway?  That is how it needs to work.  TP-Link sells extenders to wirelessly connect to the router to expand your network.  

OneMesh - Flexibly Create a Whole-Home Wi-Fi | TP-Link

A mesh system is similar.  The main node needs to be connected to the gateway with an Ethernet cable.  Then the other nodes communicate through the main node.  

Badge

Dont ask me why they sell several products under the AX3000 name but I had the extender not the router.

TP-Link AX3000 WiFi 6 Range Extender, PCMag Editor's Choice, Dual Band WiFi Repeater Signal Booster with Gigabit Ethernet Port, Access Point, APP Setup, OneMesh Compatible (RE715X).

If I buy the system below and plug the main node into the ethernet on the Gateway will this work?

TP-Link Deco AX3000 WiFi 6 Mesh System(Deco X55) - Covers up to 6500 Sq.Ft. , Replaces Wireless Router and Extender, 3 Gigabit ports

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

My apologies about the TP-Link AX3000 Extender; my search results returned only the Router.  The extenders that I saw with it did not show “AX3000” in their names.

Anyway, the Extender would have needed a compatible Router which would have been connected to the gateway via Ethernet.

Yes, the mesh system will work.   

Badge

Ok thanks I am going to buy it. I will let you know how it goes.  

Badge

It worked no issues. Coverage is now as expected.

Thanks for the help NC.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

That’s great!  Thanks for letting us know!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for the info my Canadian friend but I don’t have “should work” money I am looking for an actual application.

NP - I haven’t jumped onboard with any ‘true’ mesh devices.  I’ve been using Netgear router (no issues) with external ports that hit Ethernet over Powerline for ~10 years now w/o issue.  TBH, I prefer having a little more … “control” than what most out of the box solutions give (i.e. VLANS, DMZ, etc) to filter out devices such as many unpatched appliances.