Question

List of Tmobile partners in Europe

Badge

Does anyone know where I can find a list of T-Mobile partners for reach country?  I ask because I will be on a cruise line that has its own tower, and I plan to do manual connections to the correct T-Mobile partner towers when I am near the ship so I can avoid the usurious prices cruise ships charge when roaming on their towers. 

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

This link may help answer your question.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/coverage/international-roaming-services

Badge

Thank you.  Unfortunately, all I can find are countries that T-Mobile is a partner in.  What I am hoping for are actual companies so I can direct my phone to latch to those and not jump on towers with gotcha fees. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@drnewcomb might be able to help. What countries are you visiting.

Badge

@drnewcomb might be able to help. What countries are you visiting.

Denmark, UK (Scotland, Northern England, Wales, Isle of Man), and Ireland.  Thank you @drnewcomb and @gramps28 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I just found this on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/688cxm/tmobile_roaming_partner_list/

Badge

I saw that too.  I am concerned that it’s likely outdated since it’s 7 years old.  I’m hoping there’s something more up to date out there. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@HeavenM is our mod and she maybe able to check for you on Monday.

Badge

@HeavenM is our mod and she maybe able to check for you on Monday.

Thank you! 

@HeavenM - any magic in your hat to find out which companies are T-Mobile’s roaming partners in Denmark, UK (England, Wales, Scotland, Isle of Man), and Ireland?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

T-Mobile does not publish the list of their roaming partners. They are capable of using LAC blocking to regulate which of several partners they use in a given location. The best you can do is to just manually try to connect to various signals (less Cellular at Sea) and see what happens. You should get a text saying “Welcome to Elbonia. Data is free but very slow.” Or something to that effect.

You might want to see if your phone allows excluding the signal of the ship’s cell service. For instance, it may be 2G and you can set your phone to only work on 3G or better.

Badge

T-Mobile does not publish the list of their roaming partners. They are capable of using LAC blocking to regulate which of several partners they use in a given location. The best you can do is to just manually try to connect to various signals (less Cellular at Sea) and see what happens. You should get a text saying “Welcome to Elbonia. Data is free but very slow.” Or something to that effect.

You might want to see if your phone allows excluding the signal of the ship’s cell service. For instance, it may be 2G and you can set your phone to only work on 3G or better.

Thank you.  I do have another question.  I usually get notifications everywhere I go saying, “You are roaming” regardless if I’m on an authorized Tmobile partner network or not.  So, how do I know for sure I’m on acceptable network?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

If you're using a TMobile sim, you will only be allowed to roam on carriers that TMobile has agreements with for those voice/data/text rates.   Eg.  When i visited Italy, Slovenia,  Greece,  Malta there were typically only 1 or 2 carriers that i could roam onto.  Similarly going into Canada, i can roam on Bell/Telus, but typically not Rogers, while with At&t  i would roam on Rogers, but not Bell or Telus.  You'll get.the Welcome/Roaming message when you connect to a Roaming carrier that is allowed, otherwise its “Emergency sos “

Badge

Interesting.  I have read so many horror stories how people get gotcha charges because they connected to their cruise’s tower.  

Badge

Does anyone know where I can find a list of T-Mobile partners for reach country?  I ask because I will be on a cruise line that has its own tower, and I plan to do manual connections to the correct T-Mobile partner towers when I am near the ship so I can avoid the usurious prices cruise ships charge when roaming on their towers. 

Why would you want to, tmobile sucks, worst carrier doing business today.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I am not finding a list of partners either 😐 I would follow the advice of @drnewcomb 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Interesting.  I have read so many horror stories how people get gotcha charges because they connected to their cruise’s tower.  

Typically, if I’m not mistaken, you’ll get a notification if/when you connect to an international roaming partner (eg.  Welcome to Canada ….) If you know which cruise line you’re taking, that would be probably more important. (eg Norweigian) 

https://www.ncl.com/faq/cellular-and-internet-faqs#cellular

Q - How do I connect my cellular device to the Cellular at Sea network?
A - Once you have reached international waters connection is automatic. Depending upon your cellular device, you will know that you are on the network when you see one of the following displayed on your device: “cellularatsea”, “wmsatsea”, “NOR-18” or “901-18”.

Q - Is Cellular at Sea available in port?
A - Onboard cellular services are available only in international waters (12 nautical miles or more away from shore). The service will automatically shut down when entering a port or getting close to shore.

Q - How much will I be charged when I use my cell phone onboard?
A - Rates vary, depending on your cellular service provider. Most carriers offer special cruise packages you can use while sailing. The charges incurred will appear on your regular cellular bill you receive at home. For more information on exact pricing contact your carrier or visit their webpage.

I was stuck in Turkey with little to no service. And even worse, I needed to change a flight but couldn’t because I didn’t have service and then ended up having to come out of pocket over $800 to purchase a brand new flight to come home. Nightmare.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

In many countries, TMobile's default service,  while included for text/data is similar to slightly better than 2g.  I would recommend either a ‘data pass’ or use of a local SIM.  This could probably have been done using the app.or.wifi

The default responses are not okay. T-mobile service didn’t work even after getting on the wifi. Your service is supposed to work everywhere and I was stranded without communication. T-mobile needs to refund me $1234 for a flight I had to come for out of pocket all because your service didn’t work. I had to use other’s people devices to conduct important personal and business - that is the only way i was able to get back home. I will take a phone serviced by aother provider next time I go overseas.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I was stuck in Turkey with little to no service. And even worse, I needed to change a flight but couldn’t because I didn’t have service and then ended up having to come out of pocket over $800 to purchase a brand new flight to come home. Nightmare.

People who travel frequently realize that it’s nothing short of a technological miracle that international roaming works at all. This is why I always counsel travelers to have a backup plan, even multiple backup plans, in case their phone stops working. It’s unreasonable to hold T-Mobile responsible for secondary damages because your phone didn’t work. I’ve known people who had phones from other major carriers who experienced the same problem. I once experienced a roaming failure in Singapore when an undersea cable was cut by an earthquake. I didn’t blame T-Mobile; I bought a local prepaid SIM to use as a backup. You always have options.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

The default responses are not okay. T-mobile service didn’t work even after getting on the wifi. Your service is supposed to work everywhere and I was stranded without communication. T-mobile needs to refund me $1234 for a flight I had to come for out of pocket all because your service didn’t work. I had to use other’s people devices to conduct important personal and business - that is the only way i was able to get back home. I will take a phone serviced by aother provider next time I go overseas.

Not that I don’t feel for your emergency, but when traveling to a foreign country, you might want to use a more ‘local’ service.

“Your service is supposed to work everywhere “ - T-Mobile won’t (can’t) guarantee country of a roaming provider in another country, let alone it’s own .. here.

I’ve used many carriers (AT&T, Sprint, Nextel, Verizon, T-Mobile) and they all have their issues … even locally.  If I’m going to be in a foreign country where I NEED to rely on cellular service, or data in general to work, I’m going to do what “I” can to ensure that there are no issues.  

Most T-Mobile default data services roaming (esp in foreign countries) are ~2G service speeds, unless you want to purchase high speed.  That is ‘your’ choice.  I have used the slow speed service in Europe, and it isn’t great .. but good enough for Google Maps and text.