Miserable Connection

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m not really looking for a discussion or a solution. I just wanted to vent my frustration. My T-Mobile service is absolutely terrible. Half the time my connection is so slow it’s unusable. When I call they re-start my modem or tell me to relocate my modem. UNACCEPTABLE. I shouldn’t have to call for them to restart my connection and I shouldn’t have to play musical chairs with my modem.

There’s only one solution. CHANGE PROVIDERS. I’m in the middle of moving right now so I won’t change at the moment but at my new address I’m getting a new ISP.

18 replies

I’m in the same boat with the same problem. Started out six month ago great and slowly got worse. Cannot even stream a movie without significant buffering. Very aggravating!

TMobile home Wi-Fi literally sucks!!! Never ever have a constant full signal that works. I’m switching to something else. 

Same problem here. Been dealing with it for well

over a year, but I live in a rural

area and can’t find a better alternative. I hate it with a passion. 

Being a older person, I remember using Dial up internet and I can say t mobile is slower than Dial up internet where I live . Especially if it is raining it becomes almost unusable. Yet I visited my aunt who lives in the country I live in a very populated area . She gets blazing fast internet. I believe the problem is their network can't handle the traffic. You have to remember they are also letting All the other cellphone services use their network. I am not interested in keeping T-Mobile to much longer if things don't improve quickly. Unfortunately I don't think there's anything any good out there right now. My sister has Verizon and she has lots of problems also. They were very good at one time I honestly don't hear anything good about any of them. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’ve been fortunate then.  It worked well on the 4G LTE home internet (but still in its infancy and was similar in price to Spectrum).

I got the Xmas special ($25/month) and T-Mobile updated the site to 5G (last one in the area that wasn’t a metrocell).  On 5G n71/b66 ~170Mbps/50Mbps.  On 5G n41/b2 +400Mbps/20Mbps.  ~150-200GB/month.

Being an older person, I remember using Dial up internet and I can say t mobile is slower than Dial up internet where I live . Especially if it is raining it becomes almost unusable. Yet I visited my aunt who lives in the country I live in a very populated area . She gets blazing fast internet. I believe the problem is their network can't handle the traffic. You have to remember they are also letting All the other cellphone services use their network. I am not interested in keeping T-Mobile to much longer if things don't improve quickly. Unfortunately I don't think there's anything any good out there right now. My sister has Verizon and she has lots of problems also. They were very good at one time I honestly don't hear anything good about any of them. 

YES! I told my daughter this is worse than dial up and she was like huh? Lol. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

For those with poor (T-Mobile Home Internet App term) service and often buffering, this is technical, but it MAY help out:

1.  Use the T-Mobile Home Internet App to locate the ‘nearest’ tower.  This will help locate the direction that the signal closest to you is coming from.  I’d recommend placing your device on that side of the house.
  2. If you can locate (physically see) the tower, or know roughly where it is, attempt to put your device in a line-of-site between your house/appartment/etc. and the tower.  I.e. If there is a large metal structure between your home and the tower … try to move it to an area that isn’t as blocked by obstacles
  3. If you can … place it near or in front of a window, possibly at a high place in your home.
  4. Once you’ve found an ideal location (or as good as it gets), you may wish to try ‘turning ‘ the device.  I.e. mine works best when the tower is ~45-60 degrees clockwise from the ‘face’ (LED) of the Arcadyan device.  This gives ‘good - very good’, while 180 degrees from that gives ‘poor’.

Oddly, for ideal ‘testing’ purpose, I used a 50’ extension cord outdoors, and found the ideal location - then replicated it from inside.

As  a note, I’m fairly close to the tower (~1200’) but blocked by buildlngs + trees.  Best location for me is a spot with a small gap between buildings across the street.  Winter service is better w/o leaves on the trees.

If you know where the tower is (i.e. using T-Mobile placement app), use Google Earth to draw a 3D measurement to look for obstructions between your home and the tower… it does help a lot.

I have done the speed tests at every room in my house .that one of the first things I did,  I could get good speeds in certain locations the best was in the attic. The problem is they changed with the time of day do to the amount of people using the network . that is understandable to a point when it slows down that you can't load a simple Web page without it timing out it becomes a problem! You aren't getting what you paid for. Then there's rain that seems to slow it down to a complete stop! I think the technology is not living up to the hype myself!!!  If I lived in the desert and right under a tower probably wouldn't have any problems.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Sadly,  but true .. desert (w/o trees or rain) typically is consistent.

Only few options:

1. Different technology (xDSL, Cable, Fiber, other WISP)
  2. Antenna (not a great idea, but would ‘help’ possibly) - Youtube ‘natertater’ has this
  3. Call into T-Mobile Home Internet for support.

I’m not really looking for a discussion or a solution. I just wanted to vent my frustration. My T-Mobile service is absolutely terrible. Half the time my connection is so slow it’s unusable. When I call they re-start my modem or tell me to relocate my modem. UNACCEPTABLE. I shouldn’t have to call for them to restart my connection and I shouldn’t have to play musical chairs with my modem.

There’s only one solution. CHANGE PROVIDERS. I’m in the middle of moving right now so I won’t change at the moment but at my new address I’m getting a new ISP.

I’ve had the service for a year now, finally found the right spot for the router, 4 out 5 bars. Stills sun oar service, but I guess you get what you pay for. Then today, service goes down for about 10 minutes, apparently they are doing tower maintenance. And when it comes back on I have 2 bars and a terrible connection! Now i get to waste more time trying to find the best spot again! Thanks T-Mobil! You suck!!

Called support they recommended checking some settings and turning the phone on and off that works sometimes  but don't make a big difference.I know a signal booster would probably make a larger difference but they are quite pricey for a good one . Then if I did want to spend that much  could go with Star Link instead. but to tell the truth I don't need that amount of data or speed it would be overkill for me. Id be happy getting what I was paying for. I had a unlimited plan have downgraded it to a limited plan why pay for what you can't use. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’ve had the service for a year now, finally found the right spot for the router, 4 out 5 bars. Stills sun oar service, but I guess you get what you pay for. Then today, service goes down for about 10 minutes, apparently they are doing tower maintenance. And when it comes back on I have 2 bars and a terrible connection! Now i get to waste more time trying to find the best spot again! Thanks T-Mobil! You suck!!

I do get the intermittent drop (causes Cisco VPN to drop and reconnect)   Its a bit of a pain, as SSH tunnels collapse.

On the newer Rectangle shaped gateway there is a reset button in the backside of the unit . On the cylinder shaped unit there is a pin hole reset button. Use a bent paper clip on that type.

Userlevel 1

Don't believe the map or the lies! After going on 8 months a knowledgeable T-Mobile technician stated" you will never get reliable service in your location". T-MOBILE has lied at all times since we signed up! Use the FCC speed test app..If you factually comment on their service, they will just remove and block you from their sites!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Just a note.  I’ve been commenting on their sites (even negatively) for years.

If you post on social media (Twitter), you’ll be most likely shadow-banned.

Userlevel 1

Same on FB site!

Correcting my pervious post, Sorry, I got it backwards. The cylindrical unit has a reset button, the rectangular unit has a pinhole that restores factory settings. for a simple reset, unplug the unit for a short time, then plug it back in. I use Ookla speed test. 

Changing provides? The price Spectrum quotes will never stay at the quoted price for very long. They always have a reason to raise the rates.

Being an older person, I remember using Dial up internet and I can say t mobile is slower than Dial up internet where I live . Especially if it is raining it becomes almost unusable. Yet I visited my aunt who lives in the country I live in a very populated area . She gets blazing fast internet. I believe the problem is their network can't handle the traffic. You have to remember they are also letting All the other cellphone services use their network. I am not interested in keeping T-Mobile to much longer if things don't improve quickly. Unfortunately I don't think there's anything any good out there right now. My sister has Verizon and she has lots of problems also. They were very good at one time I honestly don't hear anything good about any of them. 

YES! I told my daughter this is worse than dial up and she was like huh? Lol. 

Yep 2024 same old song