Question

T Mobile cell coverage in SF Bay Area.

Badge

My first post in this forum. Does anyone who lives in the greater S.F. Bay area have issue with the lack of T Mobile coverage? Basically, for +3 years on T Mobile I can at best acquire the SOS, 1-2.75 bars of coverage. The East Bay, Penninsula, South Bay, Monterey Bay it’s the same lack of coverage. 

The “coverage” map seems more aspirational than reality.

Anyone else feel the “pain” for paying for a service with little to no coverage?

Thanks 

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

what phone do you have?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’ve used T-Mobile in SF, Redwood Shores, San Jose, Sunnyvale, as well as Carmel-by-the-sea, and haven’t had any issues with service.

As an FYI, Carmel doesn’t have much for service, and pretty much dead from south of there to San Simeon.  AT&T roaming in Big Sur exists, but isn’t useful.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

same. only issues i have had were when i was down by the pier between all the massive buildings. signals tend to not like going through buildings. especially those..no carriers does.

Badge

I use an iPhone SE with the latest iOS. The device is in a non-metallic case so no faraday cage effect.

Appreciate the replies and also helpful if respondents share they actually ping 4 bars of coverage in the SF Bay area? Consistently or one offs?

My personal best’s are maybe in a blue moon 4 bars. Sometimes 3 bars and more often 1-2 or 2.5 with LTE/SOS as a constant reminder .

thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

been a few years since i was over there but the only time i had zero signal or close to zero was trying to leave and surrounded by all the super tall buildings.  towers in those scenarios are on the roof and tend to not push through all them walls/floors to well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I use an iPhone SE with the latest iOS. The device is in a non-metallic case so no faraday cage effect.

Appreciate the replies and also helpful if respondents share they actually ping 4 bars of coverage in the SF Bay area? Consistently or one offs?

My personal best’s are maybe in a blue moon 4 bars. Sometimes 3 bars and more often 1-2 or 2.5 with LTE/SOS as a constant reminder .

thanks

It’s been a few years (except Carmel by the Sea).  I had iPhone 12 + Samsung S21.

iPhone SE 2022 should be decent - it has ‘all the bands’.   Many urban areas sites are building mount (very low) to allow for spectrum re-use.  This also keeps many areas from often showing ‘full’ bands.  In Cali, there are a LOT of bands/frequencies in use.  Often the weaker bands are preferred, as there is a LOT more spectrum (eg. LTE B12 = 5x5, B71 = 10x10 while AWS=20x20 4x4MIMO).  Similarly 5G N71 15x15 low band vs 5G N41 (100+40MHz) or even 5G N25 (20x20).  Performance difference is huge.

1 bar of 5G n41 can give me +200Mbps, while 5 bars of N71 ‘can’ hit 150Mbps.  Range is the reverse.. n41 takes a hit on service just going through glass, while n71 would go through a building.

Sadly, I used to see a decent amount of 5G/LTE ==> SoS ==> 5G/LTE.   Not so much any more.