Solved

Using an AT&T branded LG B470 on a 2G network with T Mobile?

• 23 August 2023
  • 24 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Does T Mobile still support 2G phones or older phones and their 2G network? Is the LG B470 from AT&T still supported on T Mobile’s 2G network? Can I use the LG B470 from AT&T on a 2G network with T Mobile? Do I have to call AT&T Customer Service, go to the AT&T store, or use the AT&T website to get a unlock code from AT&T and unlock the LG B470 for T Mobile?

icon

Best answer by gramps28 23 August 2023, 15:47

View original

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Probably not since it doesn't support VoLte but if you hace the imei# you can use the link below  to check.

https://www.t-mobile.com/resources/bring-your-own-phone

Personally I don't know why anyone would want to use 2G since it's less secure. My works IT department advised us to turn off 2G.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/2gs-security-weaknesses-are-still-a-problem-even-for-modern-phones/

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

2g will soon be gone.  I wouldn't recommend a device that doesn’t support VoLTE and TMobile lte/5g frequencies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

T Mobile’s 2G network is still active. I spoke to a T Mobile Expert at technical support team over the phone if I can use an AT&T branded LG B470 on a 2G network but a T Mobile Representative said yes to me over the phone that I can use the LG B470 from AT&T on T Mobile’s 2G network after 3G shutdown from July 1, 2022 and I can use it on a 2G network with T Mobile after 3G shutdown from July 1, 2022 when it’s unlocked.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Did you ask the expert how the phone will support VoLte calling with no 3G?

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Did you ask the expert how the phone will support VoLte calling with no 3G?

A T Mobile Expert at technical support told me that an AT&T branded LG B470 supports 2G but not 3G, 4G, or VOLTE because the phone is compatible on T Mobile’s 2G network and a old flip up phone can fall back to 2G after 3G shutdown from July 1, 2022.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It still needs to have VoLte to be activated on Tmobile so don't get your hopes up because most really are not experts much like the Apple geniuses at the Apple store.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

It still needs to have VoLte to be activated on Tmobile so don't get your hopes up because most really are not experts much like the Apple geniuses at the Apple store.

Misspelled T Mobile. T Mobile’s 2G network is still around.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

On April 2, 2024, T-Mobile’s older 2G GSM network will be retired

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/coverage/t-mobile-network-evolution

At best,  you might get 8 months of 2g service

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Misspelled T Mobile. T Mobile’s 2G network is still around.

Yes but the phone does not support VoLte which the “expert “ told you it doesn't have but it needs it to be activated.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

An AT&T branded LG B470 from 3G still works on T Mobile’s 2G network after T Mobile’s 3G shutdown from July 1, 2022 and AT&T’S 3G shutdown from February 22, 2022.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The phone lacks VoLte so if it's a new activation it may not work.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Yes or no, does the phone support VoLte. Volte is required for a phone to be activated on Tmobile's network.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/07/25/t-mobile-will-soon-require-volte-on-all-phones-incomopatible-devices-kicked-off-january/?newsletter_popup=1

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Yes or no, does the phone support VoLte. Volte is required for a phone to be activated on Tmobile's network.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/07/25/t-mobile-will-soon-require-volte-on-all-phones-incomopatible-devices-kicked-off-january/?newsletter_popup=1

I already have checked with T Mobile that an AT&T branded LG B470 is still supported on a 2G network after T Mobile’s 3G shutdown from July 1, 2022 and AT&T’S 3G shutdown from February 22, 2022. I found out that the LG B470 from AT&T is compatible on T Mobile’s 2G network after T Mobile’s 3G shutdown from July 1, 2022 and AT&T’S 3G shutdown from February 22, 2022.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Don't be surprised when it doesn't work because most of these experts aren't by the post from users on this board.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Don't be surprised when it doesn't work because most of these experts aren't by the post from users on this board.

Some T Mobile customers still use 3G and 2G phones on a 2G network after 3G shutdown from July 1, 2022. T Mobile’s 2G network is still active before April 2, 2024.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Those were activated prior to the announcement. No new activations now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Some T Mobile customers still use 3G and 2G phones on a 2G network after 3G shutdown from July 1, 2022. T Mobile’s 2G network is still active before April 2, 2024.

you are absolutely right and the phone will work perfectly fine as you have stated so many times..you should go ahead and get the device and add it to the TMO network. let us know how it works out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

And has security issues that requires a normal user to turn off 2G to avoid backdoor hacks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

The most sure-fire way to see if a device is going to work on our network is by entering the IMEI into our Bring Your Own Device Checker. That will check that the network technology is compatible and that the device supports VoLTE. VoLTE is a requirement for any device on the T-Mobile network to be able to access calls and data. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

then jump on that phone..you obviously found the work around and are now to be considered the phone god of gods..we knew you had it in you...good job.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

The most sure-fire way to see if a device is going to work on our network is by entering the IMEI into our Bring Your Own Device Checker. That will check that the network technology is compatible and that the device supports VoLTE. VoLTE is a requirement for any device on the T-Mobile network to be able to access calls and data. 

No, I don’t have the phone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

No, I don’t have the phone.

If you don’t have the phone, then the best thing you can do is get the phone and try it. Double check the return policy when you do that, though, because if it does not work, it would be unfortunate for you to be stuck with the phone. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

In just over 7 months … it won’t work in the US anyways.