Solved

Why charge a upgrade fee?

Badge

I know when you go to a store to purchase new plan or upgrade phone they charge you a 35.00 fee for each phone you upgrade. When you plan on doing 4 or more phones that fee should be waived or adjusted to a flat fee of 80 or 100.00? But what if you do it online through the website and have the devices shipped to you. Does that fee still apply? I am trying to way out my options before I upgrade my currents devices?  Its not tike they have to do much work. The Phones transfer all the info for you. All the store reps have to do is scan the new phones and the required info for their service to know what phone you have and what line its too. and then the Samsung phone will switch all your information over tot he new phone. 

Thank You

icon

Best answer by syaoran 31 May 2023, 14:22

View original

21 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

They get paid by the hour.  If no one comes in they get paid.  If no one goes into the stores what’s the point of them working?  What’s the point of paying rent?  What’s the point of paying electric.  There’s a lot more involved selling a single phone?  May not seem like much but they are providing a service which you could do yourself as you pointed out yourself.  So either pay for the service or do it yourself.  

Before you say anything.  I don’t work for T-Mobile and I would say the SAME thing for ALL SERVICE based jobs.

A lot of people complain about Apple device being expensive, but Samsung(I used to work here) does not have brick and mortar stores, inventory, and employees worldwide Apple does.  People don’t think costs like this doesn’t get factor into products and services?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Unfortunately, the uograde fee applies online as well.  Consider upgrading at your local BestBuy to avoid these ridiculous fees.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Verizon does the same and pretty sure AT&T does the same.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Yes, but that still doesn't make it right.  It literally takes 15 seconds to remove a SIM from one device and put it in another.  Not 3 hours pay for one employee!  This is literally my one exception to wanting self-serve options so they don't have to employ someone to charge this ridiculous fee.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Yes, but that still doesn't make it right.  It literally takes 15 seconds to remove a SIM from one device and put it in another.  Not 3 hours pay for one employee!  This is literally my one exception to wanting self-serve options so they don't have to employ someone to charge this ridiculous fee.

A lot of times they are required to transfer things, and at times explain the features not just swapping sims.  A lot of people assume that’s what everyone does, but working for places where I can watch lower employees for long periods of time you’d be surprised how much they do especially for the much older crowd.

It’s like that delivery fee which delivery drives for pizza places.  Those drivers are seriously underpaid, and they don’t even get the delivery fee.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I bet if they could they’d drop the brick and mortar places to save money.  We’ve literally had someone recently on here complained a lot them were shutting down.  It’s a catch 22.  Honestly I wish carriers would just sell services, and leave device sales to OEMs.  Honestly would reduce overheads by a large margin which should lower plan costs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

If they have to transfer the contents of one device to another.  Sure.  I am fine with a fee for that because that is something I would personally do myself.  If someone needs an in-store tutorial on their new device.  I also think that is fair to charge a fee for.  If I walk into a store to pick up a phone that doesn’t even leave the box until I get it home.  I don’t think there should be a fee for that.  If it’s too much to expect a person to take a minute of their time to get it, scan it, and check me out.  Put it in a vending machine inside of the store and I will use that.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I have a feeling people would be robbing that vending machine!  Some areas would be prime for it.

Honestly I say Carriers should just stop selling devices.  Make the OEMs spend the money on inventory, warehouses, personnel, and locations.  Reduce services costs, and rid of upgrade fees.  OEMs make 1 device unlocked works for all carriers.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I have a feeling people would be robbing that vending machine!  Some areas would be prime for it.

Honestly I say Carriers should just stop selling devices.  Make the OEMs spend the money on inventory, warehouses, personnel, and locations.  Reduce services costs, and rid of upgrade fees.  OEMs make 1 device unlocked works for all carriers.  

That would be great, but just look at the mess Samsung created trying to sell the s23 preorders.  Most of us couldn’t even place an order through their site.  After 4 days, I gave up and ordered mine through T-Force and still got it on the 10th, a full 10 days before the device officially launched.  :D  

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Apple orders for other carriers were terrible, but they have a better grasp on inventory and fulfill their own first before giving carriers more to send.  It’ll force OEM’s to upgrade every preorder to compensate or do a better job.  Ironically as bad as Apple has done it they always invest more each year for preorders and does a better job overall fulfilling orders.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

T-Mobile ‘used to be’ the uncarrier, claiming no fees or bundled services.  They still use ‘uncarrier’, and still do sell unbundled, but promote their bundled services.  Similarly, stores are basically an expense for sales.  If you don’t have Internet, how can you sign up for service ?  Telesales ?  Oddly enough, I can purchase through Apple/Samsung directly and save myself … $35.  Stores are an expense, and I can understand sales attempting to recoup through these fees.  I used to purchase locally at a store, but then they wanted fees.   Ok .. I’ll purchase over the phone … fees.  Ok I’ll purchase online … fees.

Ok - I’ll bypass and go through Samsung/Apple.  Samsung gives better deals than T-Mobile does on exchanges as well ($325 vs $125 for the same device!)

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

A $35 fee for each line does add up really fast! Good on you @DavidRT for looking at all of your options before making the purchase. You mention upgrading your phones, so I just wanted to take the opportunity to clarify one thing about the Device Connection Charge. If you are financing your device and have P360, then you could be eligible for a JUMP! upgrade and the fee would not apply to that order.

Badge

The current phones I have are from ATT and I was not able to get to a local store to get them covered by insurance. I am looking at about 400 dollars with the taxes on 4 phones plus the 35 00 per phone fee. Which is ridiculous of you ask me. I understand making money, but they can do something about the fee. They charge the same fee to set up the account 

Badge

Is the fee for getting a new sim card? What if you just pull sim card out of the old phone and place it in the new phone?  Also these phone were kept from old carrier and would like to get newer phones to work with T-Mobile 5G service since the phones I have said they will work but I don’t they are set for the correct ban with for T-Mobile.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

There is a fee for a new SIM card unless it is replaced by Tech Support as a possible cause of network connectivity issues.  Have you made sure that the APN Settings and MMS settings are correct on your BYO Devices? 

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/not-sold-by-t-mobile/byod-t-mobile-data-and-apn-settings#:~:text=In%20Settings%2C%20look%20under%20Wireless%20%26%20Networks%20or,update%20the%20following%20settings%20for%20the%20Data%20APN.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Bingo.  Sadly, the concept of ‘free phone’ doesn’t include tax or .. fees.

The fee is imposed by T-Mobile, not the government.

This is where I’d purchase directly from the vendor, and not deal with those … fees.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I’ve been a mobile customer for well over 20 years, AT&T for a couple of years, then Verizon for most of the time and just recently moved over to T-Mobile.  I have never paid an “activation” fee for a phone.  What a crock.  I say waive that fee or I will go to another carrier, and they say okay.  Maybe it’s because i have good credit and the carriers want those customer to stay or come on board new, but they never say no or even argue with me, they just waive it.  Since I like free budget phones as well, I can usually wrangle one free every 3 years as well.   I do pay tax on the phone of course, and I have to stay with the plan for 24 months, as they usually credit me each month for the cost of the phone.  You have to be willing to change carriers though.  That’s how I landed here, Verizon was starting to charge me more, trying to get me out of my grandfathered plan and move to a bigger plan.  I said no and they said sorry, so I joined up here.  I get far more in data, perks, all at a $20.00 month price reduction.  I’ve read Verizon lost all most 130,000 customers last quarter.  They really need to rethink their business model and start to get competitive again.  Right now, they are the most expensive and seem to give you the least for your mobile plan dollar.  I also read they are laying off 6000 customer service reps here in America and sending those jobs overseas.  That won’t make Verizon customers happy.  Sign of the times I guess, gotta pad the bottom line for the share holders.  I’m happy here at T-Mobile and switching from Verizon was painless for me, thanks to the brilliant sales lady in the store I went to.  I didn’t want to try and port the number myself.  She got it all done in about 15 minutes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

T-Mobile in general ‘has been’ the price leader.  In the past 2 years, they’ve also been the ‘speed’ leader.

That ends in many areas when you look for coverage.  It is true that Verizon/AT&T ‘appear’ old / stuffy / lethargic and out of touch, as well as quite expensive.  They don’t have the Uber high speeds - which ‘sell’.  Some (those that live in more rural areas) or those expecting better overall ‘service’ in areas that have storms/power outage may end up with some buyers remorse.

Your buying a new phone , they want to charge you an upgrade fee .I can take out my own SIM card , is there a charge for a down grade .Me: Hello I want to purchase the IPhone 14 pro . TMobile: sure $1300 please plus $35 to up grade  Me: I’ll keep my IPhone 13pro 

I'm going to charge you $3 for a gallon of milk for taking it off the shelf for you, but the milk itself cost $4 a gallon that you can pay at the cashier counter, thank you for shopping at Tmobile .

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

This is getting more ‘fees’ as a revenue stream for basic service.  Kind of similar to ATM fees or pay extra with debit/credit. 

I went to Samsung to get my S23 (replace S21).  Not only did it cost less, there was no fee, and I got a better deal on exchange.