Question

Device Unlock

Badge

I recharged $100 as requested, but customer service informed me that the device is not in the system and cannot be unlocked. Is it because of the S to T transition? If it is true, can you help me unlock it?

16 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

where did you get the device from?  If they got it from a 3rd party then it will not be in Sprint nor T-Mobile system.  For example an iPhone from BestBuy.  You need to have the original receipt and need to contact T-Force to contact the manufacturer through official channels to make sure it’s actually locked to them or not and they’ll input into the system and then request for unlock.

Badge

A gift from a friend, but it's no longer in contact.Are T-Mobile and Sprint shared databases? If the device is not in the T-Mobile system, it is also impossible to find it in Sprint. Do you understand it this way?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Sprint hasn’t been around for a few years now.  The system is gone.  Not integrated!  The systems were not compatible and accounts that were still active, were migrated over to the T-Mobile system.  That is why the device is not in the T-Mobile system and can’t be unlocked by T-Mobile.  If it’s an Android device, you might be able to see if a third party unlocking service can SIM unlock it for you for a fee.  

Badge

Query Results(Operator:US T-Mobile/Sprint (MVNO) Locked Activation Policy),Who can tell me which platform it belongs to?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Query Results(Operator:US T-Mobile/Sprint (MVNO) Locked Activation Policy),Who can tell me which platform it belongs to?

You friend may have gotten it from a 3rd party.  If it was from a 3rd party then it will not be in any carrier system.  For example Reseller Flex Policy for the iPhone.  The iPhone will be locked to the first carrier sim inserted.  It will not be in the carrier system for unlocking because these devices IMEI are not given to carriers from Apple.  It requires more leg work to get it unlocked because Apple has to submit the IMEI or verify to T-Mobile that the device is locked to them.  You will not be able to because for all a carrier would know that the IMEI isn’t in their system and the device could be lost/stolen.

Have your friend help you get it unlocked.  If they don’t then the phone will never be unlocked.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I recharged $100 as requested, but customer service informed me that the device is not in the system and cannot be unlocked. Is it because of the S to T transition? If it is true, can you help me unlock it?

There's still a 17 day waiting period after the $100 recharge.

If the device is not in the system it wasn't initially sold by Tmobile so try asking your friend to request the unlock code if they used it on Tmobile /Sprint.

Badge

There's still a 17 day waiting period after the $100 recharge.

If the device is not in the system it wasn't initially sold by Tmobile so try asking your friend to request the unlock code if they used it on Tmobile /Sprint.

Thank you for your answer. I chose to wait and try to unlock it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Information from Sprint is being migrated and mixed in with our systems, so if the device was purchased from Sprint, we should be able to see that also. If it is not in our system, it means that it was not purchased from us or Sprint, which means that it was purchased from a third party like Apple, BestBuy, or another retailer. @tidbits explained it correctly that an iPhone purchased unlocked will lock to the first carrier it is used with. Since you are showing Query Results(Operator: US T-Mobile/Sprint (MVNO) Locked Activation Policy), that means it is locked to the NEW T-Mobile. 

The unlock process for these are a little different because they don’t have as many requirements as regular unlocks. When you call in to care, you will want the person that is helping you to follow the Apple iPhones purchased from 3rd party retailer process with their coach. Once they submit the request, you can follow the normal unlock steps on your phone after 2 business days. For iPhone the steps are super simple. Either insert your new SIM card or activate your eSIM.

Badge

Information from Sprint is being migrated and mixed in with our systems, so if the device was purchased from Sprint, we should be able to see that also. If it is not in our system, it means that it was not purchased from us or Sprint, which means that it was purchased from a third party like Apple, BestBuy, or another retailer. @tidbits explained it correctly that an iPhone purchased unlocked will lock to the first carrier it is used with. Since you are showing Query Results(Operator: US T-Mobile/Sprint (MVNO) Locked Activation Policy), that means it is locked to the NEW T-Mobile. 

The unlock process for these are a little different because they don’t have as many requirements as regular unlocks. When you call in to care, you will want the person that is helping you to follow the Apple iPhones purchased from 3rd party retailer process with their coach. Once they submit the request, you can follow the normal unlock steps on your phone after 2 business days. For iPhone the steps are super simple. Either insert your new SIM card or activate your eSIM.

Thank you very much for your answer. The good news is that the phone has been unlocked.

Tried unlocking my iphone from Sprint last week and the tracking has been stuck at 95% for 5 working days now. It was checked and I paid the required amount for it to be unlocked. Just worried it might have taken too long to be unlocked. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Tried unlocking my iphone from Sprint last week and the tracking has been stuck at 95% for 5 working days now. It was checked and I paid the required amount for it to be unlocked. Just worried it might have taken too long to be unlocked. 

Are you currently a T-Mobile customer? 

Have you tried putting in a non T-Mobile SIM card or factory resetting the device? If so, what happens when you do?

Not a T mobile customer. My uncle shipped it to me, I’m using a network out of the US. 

It said SIM card not supported 

haven’t tried resetting it yet. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Not a T mobile customer. My uncle shipped it to me, I’m using a network out of the US. 

It said SIM card not supported 

haven’t tried resetting it yet. 

Your uncle would have to request the SIM Unlock, if his account and the device meet the SIM Unlock Policy requirements.  

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/consumer-info/policies/sim-unlock-policy

Does he request from Sprint or T mobile ?. Because he did request from sprint and it shows 95% completed. 

that is what it shows 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

so whats the last thing showing needing to be completed?