Solved

Since we pay off devices we should be able to unlock the bootloader.

• 24 May 2024
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I know that Tmo unlocks our phones from the network when they are paid off, but we should also be able to unlock the bootloader. I just paid off my Galaxy S22 Ultra which has a lot of life left. Even after you pay off the phone, the setting that would normally allow you to unlock the bootloader “OEM Unlock” still doesn’t show up. With this said, the firmware/roms for carrier locked phones is done by the carriers and not Samsung directly. So its the choice the carrier to allow us to be able to have full control of our phones. With all of that said, will Tmo change this? Will Tmo go ahead and give a link to a special firmware/rom that will allow the owner to unlock their bootloader? This will make a decision for me if I continue purchasing phones through the carrier.

icon

Best answer by tidbits 24 May 2024, 14:51

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It looks like it's possible. Have you checked the XDA forums? I got a few hits over there.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I’ve seen a lot of the ATT version and the non carrier version. However, I shouldn’t have to go in around about way of doing it as well. Either way, do you have a link specifically for the Tmo version of this phone?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I’ve seen a lot of the ATT version and the non carrier version. However, I shouldn’t have to go in around about way of doing it as well. Either way, do you have a link specifically for the Tmo version of this phone?

The only Samsung devices that can be unlocked with the bootloader are chinese models last I remember.  They also don’t have a lot of Samsung as well as Google Services.

If you want the bootloader unlocked buy a Pixel.  

unlike popular belief…  T-Mobile has not ever forced a manufacturer to lock the bootloader, and also has never not allowed a OEM to not unlock a bootloader.  It is up to the OEM.

This has been verified by:

LG(when they were making devices).

HTC(When they were still making devices)

Google(You buy unlocked or from T-Mobile and if paid off OEM unlock is available).

Samsung started locking down their devices in various regions due to Samsung Pay since the S6?  Only verisons that bootloaders can be unlocked on chinese models.

OnePlus bootloaders can be unlocked after carrier unlocking.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

That's not necessarily true. Like I said before, the ATT version has been unlocked, rooted, and custom roms installed. Which of course is not the Chinese version. The carrier is responsible for the firmware that comes out on the carrier locked phones which the carrier can allow for them to be unlocked in the firmware. Even the non carrier locked samsungs can be unlocked. The answer is not that I should go buy a pixel. The answer should be that it's my device and I should have to go buy a different one just to do what I want with what I paid for already. Be sides, these are the same companies that talk so much about protecting the environment. How much more environmentally friendly could you be to allow oem unlock so that phones that could still be used past the time the company stop doing updates don't end up as e-waste? Simply it's about the money. Samsung, among others, are notorious for sending updates to hinder devices to for you to upgrade. I don't see this any differently as they can say it's "for your good" Tmo is not going to say too much about it as it would mean they would keep making money on you having to upgrade. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The mods frown on posting certain links on this board so you will need to go to the XDA boards and do a search.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

That's not necessarily true. Like I said before, the ATT version has been unlocked, rooted, and custom roms installed. Which of course is not the Chinese version. The carrier is responsible for the firmware that comes out on the carrier locked phones which the carrier can allow for them to be unlocked in the firmware. Even the non carrier locked samsungs can be unlocked. The answer is not that I should go buy a pixel. The answer should be that it's my device and I should have to go buy a different one just to do what I want with what I paid for already. Be sides, these are the same companies that talk so much about protecting the environment. How much more environmentally friendly could you be to allow oem unlock so that phones that could still be used past the time the company stop doing updates don't end up as e-waste? Simply it's about the money. Samsung, among others, are notorious for sending updates to hinder devices to for you to upgrade. I don't see this any differently as they can say it's "for your good" Tmo is not going to say too much about it as it would mean they would keep making money on you having to upgrade. 

As I pointed since the S6 with the release of Samsung Pay the Snapdragon version has NEVER been officially unlock ANYWHERE other than China.  XDA will even verify this.  What you may be finding about AT&T and unlocked bootloaders is from the S5 and below.  

From 2 years ago AT&T Forums - Nothing on AT&T can be unlocked

https://forums.att.com/conversations/phone-device-upgrades/bootloader-unlock/617798ea3a5e841cb234a81d 

From Samsung forums snapdragon versions US variants including unlocked. No unlockable bootloaders

https://r1.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s/unlock-the-bootloader/td-p/23973917

Also Just because you don’t get updates doesn’t magically break the device, and they are perfectly usable…  I can a phones that are on older versions of the OS and work perfectly fine even after a decade even if they are on older versions of Android(I have device still on Oreo).  I find it amusing no one complains about Apple pushing out updates without actually adding certain features to their older iPhones.  Android OEM’s could do the same.  It’s up to them to do so.  It’s their products and they chose not to.  Rest of the world it’s the OEM, but in the US it’s the carriers.  Carriers overseas do test updates just like here.

The prices set for devices, and carriers don’t pay for devices like you think they do.  Carriers would rather NOT sell devices.  Back when there was 2 year contracts did you know if you didn’t upgrade devices they’d make more money per month than when you upgraded?  Carriers used devices as a lossless product to get contracts.  Much like gaming consoles are lossless products.  Ironically IF people bought them unlocked and not from carriers would actually be better and devices will be supported better.  That’s for another debate…

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

The mods frown on posting certain links on this board so you will need to go to the XDA boards and do a search.

No worries Ill look. I know I saw on XDA there was the non Chinese ATT Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultras that were unlocked. I need to do a deeper search for this one. Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

The owner of the phone should be able to do anything but change the modem, which is part of the FCC Type Approval. However, some manufacturers just don’t want to let the phone’s owners have this ability and Samsung is pretty much at the top of this list. Had unlocking the boot loader been important to you, you should have bought a Google Pixel, not a Samsung. n.b. This is why the GrapheneOS is only available for Pixels.