Solved

Unlocking second sim possible?

• 9 June 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

Is it possible to unlock the second sim on an iPhone 14? I am looking for a second phone number with no data and T-Mobile doesn’t offer a resonable plan. DIGITS won't work because I have no data service in my area. I understand the phone needs to be paid off but it doesn't make sense to pay the phone off if they are going to continuously do a promotion to keep you in a contract. I'll likely never pay a phone off while on T-Mobile so it sounds like I’d never be able to use the second sim with another provider or if I travel and want to pick up a sim.  Any way to at least unlock the second sim?

icon

Best answer by syaoran 9 June 2023, 11:30

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Have you thought about a Google voice number?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The device needs to be SIM unlocked to use the second eSIM with a different provider.  You can use the second eSIM with another T-Mobile line.  To qualify for a SIM unlock, your account and device must both meet all of the SIM Unlock Policy requirements. 

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/consumer-info/policies/sim-unlock-policy

Badge

Here is the issue with the sim unlock policy:

• T-Mobile subsidizes the hardware to keep you in a contact which prevents you from paying the phone off early. It would cost the consumer $400-600 depending on the promotion.
  • I don’t see a situation where I would pay the phone off ever. I would just keep replacing the phone every 1-2 years. Which is what T-Mobile wants to stay under contact but continues to prevent the user from using the 2nd sim.
  • If you are looking for a second line from T-mobile, the cheapest line you can get to put on the phone is $30. You have no need for data but it's part of the package anyway. They should consider doing an “add a line” like they do for watches and tablets for $10. 
  • You can get a second line UNL Talk and Text with no data for $9 from other carriers that use T-Mobile. 

There are some posts on being able to pay off your phone and continue to get the promo paid out. I spoke to T-Mobile today and they said that if you pay it off there is nothing left for the promo to pay off so it just ends. 

For those that mention the DIGITS line, if you have no data in your area it never works. Great if you are on wifi all the time but it's not reliable as having an actual line. And Google Voice is the best option however you just end up forwarding the number or calling through a bridge. You can’t really separate your personal line from your second line. 

Unless T-Mobile can do an add a line for $10 to the second sim, I don’t really see how any carrier will let you use the T-Mobile unless you bought an unlocked phone directly from Apple. 

Badge

The device needs to be SIM unlocked to use the second eSIM with a different provider.  You can use the second eSIM with another T-Mobile line.  To qualify for a SIM unlock, your account and device must both meet all of the SIM Unlock Policy requirements. 

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/consumer-info/policies/sim-unlock-policy

I actually paid the phone off today so I didn’t have to deal with that with my new carrier.  Seems I meet all the qualifications and will try this.  Thank you!  Will post back here with an update for others!

So I am traveling on a Disney Cruise with stops in New Caledonia, Fiji, and American Samoa (plus New Zealand and Australia).  I do not believe T-mobile has service on the Disney Wonder (the oldest on that cruise line).  I want to buy a second e-sim for a service with those locations, any recommendations for service on the ship with a T-mobile locked iPhone 15 in those locations?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

So I am traveling on a Disney Cruise with stops in New Caledonia, Fiji, and American Samoa (plus New Zealand and Australia).  I do not believe T-mobile has service on the Disney Wonder (the oldest on that cruise line).  I want to buy a second e-sim for a service with those locations, any recommendations for service on the ship with a T-mobile locked iPhone 15 in those locations?

Keep your device in Airplane Mode before you get within a couple of miles of the ship and leave it that way until after your cruise is finished and you are at least 2 miles away from the ship.  Buy the ships unlimited WiFi package.