Question

adding router issues

• 16 July 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge

I have the home internet 5g. Trying to add a wifi 6 router as a bridge. Problem is it won’t connect to the internet and says if it isn’t DCHP then either manually enter Static IP or Ppoe information 

when I click the PPPOE option it needs a username and password. Does anyone know if this is the one I am using to add the router as a bridge? 

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

PPPoE is a tunneling protocol so no that is not what you are after. You need to get into the manual for the router and find out how it is to be changed to bridge mode. If you intend to use it with the gateway in bridge mode you will not want it to be distributing IP via DHCP so you also need to attend to that. If you intend to use the router’s radios you should not run both the T-Mobile gateway radios and the other ones at the same time overlapping. 

The T-Mobile gateways are 802.11ax so WI-FI 6 routers. If you need the extension of the wireless coverage you can run both but just will have to do a bit of research and testing to see what works best for you in your location. 

I am setting up a P2P system using EnGenius ENH500 kit.  Went through the setup process following a video instruction (the EnGenius instrutions suck). I am about ready to deploy it once I lay some cable to my primary source.

There  a situation that most instructions and videos don’t discuss.   If you open a browser and type in the IP for one unit (I call it Primary or Source) and type in its IP address, the unit will not be found by the browser.

To make it so that the unit can be found you need to go to Network Settings > Ethernet> and follow whatever path is needed in order to assign a temporary IP for the unit.  The process seems tobe different depending on the version of Windows you have.

Once you have done the above, then go to your browser and try connecting again.  You should get a login screen.

Login and setup the unit.

Once you have completed the setup process, logout and close your browser 9and network settings if still open).

Now repeat the above process for the “Secondary or Receiver” unit.

After the second unit is setup, check to see if both units are working and all lights are on.  Open te browser and try connecting to a website.  If nothing happens, you need to check the “network” to see if DHCP is connected.

I got the message DHCP not connected. There was a Troubleshoot link and I clicked on that.  It came back with DHCP not connected and had a let Windows fix link.  I clicked on that and Windows connected DHCP.

If I change computers or routers on the Secondary unit I may have the same DHCP issue but won’t know for sure until I deploy the system.

Hope this helps.  Once I have this issue resolved, I then need to look at using my electrical system for ethernet.  I think setting that up will be easier.