Question

Home Internet '''router'''?

• 23 April 2022
  • 9 replies

Badge

The salesperson at the store called this a 5G router, so I asked if it had a firewall that could be managed by the customer, she punted to the store manager, he said it had a firewall and a vpn and yes I can configure them myself. I was impressed and went for it.

Now I’ve read the manual and played with the web GUI, and found nothing about basic router features to provide security or even routing. I guess these features could be included and just not visible, accessible or configurable by the user, but that makes it hard to know what it might or might not be doing to provide even a minimally safe home network.

Of course I could just use the tower as an oversized cellular modem, treat the LAN port as unsafe and connect it to a separate firewall, vpn and wifi router, but that’s definitely not what they said at the store!

Am I missing something, and does anyone feel OK about connecting all their networked gear straight into this thing?

Thanks for comments...

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I know you are looking for answers to your question. Please don't take this the wrong way. But why would you not do your research before you bought the product instead of after if you had questions about its functions. I understand the salespeople told you it would do this, and it has that, but you have to research what you are unaware of before you buy. In some cases, Google is our Friend. I'm sry for not being able to answer your original question.

Badge

The 5g gateway is not configurable for almost all router functions.  I find it is best to add your own router to one of the ethernet ports so that you can control/manage your own connected devices.

Badge

I know you are looking for answers to your question. Please don't take this the wrong way. But why would you not do your research before you bought the product instead of after if you had questions about its functions. I understand the salespeople told you it would do this, and it has that, but you have to research what you are unaware of before you buy. In some cases, Google is our Friend. I'm sry for not being able to answer your original question.

You’re spot on! I skipped my normal compulsion to read the manual in the store before buying something. In this case I went in for a phone and came out with Home Internet. Now in terms of speed it seems to work well so I want to keep using it. I’m still concerned about security, still looking to understand how it works, just not asking TM sales :)

Badge

The 5g gateway is not configurable for almost all router functions.  I find it is best to add your own router to one of the ethernet ports so that you can control/manage your own connected devices.

Thanks! I’ve come to the same conclusion and have settled on that to address my need for control. I’m still wondering how much of a risk others are taking by using it as supplied.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I’m still wondering how much of a risk others are taking by using it as supplied.

I have been with t mobile home internet since Dec. 21 my grips are no static IP and now my IPv6 is in Los Angeles, CA and I am on the east coast near Atlanta GA. Right now I am only using  the  t mobile gateway and it’s been doing OK I set up a WiFi name and set up a  key. I really don’t know how secure it is, I am starting to look at some router and trying to decide if it’s wroth doing.

Badge

You can purchase a separate router and connect it to your 5G gateway and manage a firewall.  Yes, a little out pocket for a separate router but solves the problem.  The gateway is not router and noting more that a glorified hotspot.  If you want router capabilities buy a router.

😀 There are ethernet ports on the 5G gateway!?

That would be a deal-maker for me.

Is anyone SURE there are ethernet ports on this 5G gateway?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Yes,  there are 2 LAN ports on the Nokia Gateway and I believe there are 2 ports on the new Gateway too. I have a fax setup on one port and a router on the second port.

https://www.t-mobile.com/home-internet/gateway

Yes,  there are 2 LAN ports on the Nokia Gateway and I believe there are 2 ports on the new Gateway too. I have a fax setup on one port and a router on the second port.

https://www.t-mobile.com/home-internet/gateway

Yes, there are 2 ports on the back of the new gateway as well. If you do not like the gateway, you can replace it with any other 5G/4G one. It is not locked to the gateway. Only the gateway is locked to T-Mobile.