Question

HULU doesn't play well with TMOBILE home internet

• 28 May 2023
  • 9 replies

Badge

I was happy to try tmobile home internet and it worked great for about a month.  I had one incident where HULU thought I had moved only to find that tmobile IP address had changed.  Hulu was able to match the new ip address which gave me a temporary fix.  Over the last two weeks, however, service has been spotty and my IP address was changed 4 times.  Tmobile service says “sorry, it doesn’t support a static IP address and doesn’t have a work-around for use with Hulu.  

Question:  When selling tmobile home internet, can tmobile be open about the problem and tell potential customers that if they use Hulu, they should choose another service provider?  

9 replies

I had planned to use T-Mobile home internet and Hulu+live since moving to Florida, but it looks like I'll be staying with Xfinity 

Badge

FYI HULU must have made a chance because i have not seen the issue in > 1 month.

Thanks for the info.

I just signed up with Hulu+live and have had to call them twice to reset my IP. I live in southwest VA, but the first IP I had was for Virginia Beach. Then yesterday, my IP was from the Philadelphia, PA area. In both cases the live local channels are way off. I was using YouTubeTV before this and never had the issue as YouTubeTV lets you set your location with their mobile app and uses your phone’s GPS to set location. So I feel like it is equally on T-Mobile and Hulu.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Unfortunately, that’s the way it is due to T-Mobile’s infrastructure - an explanation why can be found at:

Note that @syaoran provided the solution and best answer approved by T-Mobile there. However T-Mobile should probably make this clear when signing up for home internet service. I believe it is probably covered in the terms and conditions but most folks don’t read those.

Even my explanation is a “reader’s” digest version - there’s much more historical and technical detail.

I chose YouTube TV for the reasons mentioned (well that and the fact I go a T-Mobile discount for YouTube TV).

Badge

I have had no problems with T-Mobile Home Internet and Hulu. I have my PS5 connected to my home internet and stream Hulu through that with no issues. The only issue I had was my PS4 randomly disconnecting from WiFi which I fixed with a LAN cable. When I upgraded to PS5 no WiFi disconnection issues

I have been trying to get Hulu Live to work and after some research, it doesn’t like that the T-Mobile internet is a mobile internet - they have it in their FAQs. switching to YouTube TV and then doing the ‘hulu’ on us option through Tmobile should solve the problem since we only really use Hulu for sports live and hardly access the originals created for Hulu. However, I agree with a few that mentioned this should have been mentioned when we made the switch to T-Mobile internet. We like it enough to do the workaround, just wish we knew. 

Badge

We recently switched from Verizon Wireless to T-Mobile looking to take advantage of the great TM cell plans and low-cost 5G internet ($40/mo). Thankfully I didn’t cancel our current ISP (Wow Internet) because the TM Gateway was a total headache for us and I’ve just canceled our service. 

The first issue we noticed is what’s been discussed here: the location issues. We use HULU (Live) and it kept giving us the “It looks like you’re not at home” message when we opened the app on our AppleTV. After an hourlong call with HULU I find out it’s likely due to TM using a dynamic IP address, rather than a static one. The person at HULU said she would reset our location change limit (which is 4 location changes per year) because they are aware of the issue. I’m sure we could continue to call them to get it reset again but who the heck wants to keep having to do that regularly?

I spoke to TM tech dept and they told me there’s no way to set the IP to static with the Gateway router. They suggested getting a third-party router, switch or Smart extender that would allow us to set a static IP address for our devices to work off of. I asked if having a second router would slow down the speed - he said it wouldn’t - if anything it would extend the range. He couldn’t recommend a specific device or brand so I tried calling Best Buy (really the only option I know for this kind of question) but they were of no use -- the “Geek Squad” chat told me to call BB customer service, who then told me I should call Geek Squad, who transferred me back to CS again! Each time I’d have to explain the mouthful of a question. This went on for 40 minutes! 5-6 transfers until they finally “accidentally” disconnected my call. So, then we went to the brick & mortar Best Buy -- they were just as bad. It took them over 20 minutes to get someone to even acknowledge us, even after requesting assistance twice. Anyway, when we finally got someone to help us, he told us the TM Gateway is basically a “mobile hotspot” (which I’m sure is great if you’re on the road in an RV), and the idea of using the second router or switch didn’t make sense. So, I guess that’s that. 

The second issue is the quality of the internet. I had no issues while on my computer but my son, who’s a gamer, said his game was “laggy and unplayable” -- he was very frustrated and eventually went back to the old router via ethernet.

I was really hoping the TM internet would work out for us but, until they (or HULU) find a workaround for the IP location issues, we will have to use another ISP.  Bummer.

Badge +1

This happened to me 4 time with COX when I had their service and I had to eventually call HULU to reset it for me. Actually CHAT agent did it. Took a few min and it was done. I suspect if this happens with TMHI I’ll eventually have to chat with HULU again and reset it.