Solved

laptop sees my network but I can't connect

• 6 January 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge

I've been trying  for two weeks to get my laptop to connect to my network. Both TV, cell phone and Tablet connect just fine. My network shows up on the "available" Networks, but when I try to connect to it, I get a message saying can't  connect. I checked the status of the Network and it says cannot authenticate connection.  I've updated my Network Wi-Fi adapter & Driver, turned my T-Moble modem/router off & on, reset it, ran Windows troubleshooter and another of other "fixes" I've read on the internet  and forums, but nothing seems to help. My Laptop is a 2016 HP Notebook. It has a Realtek RTL8188EE 801.11bgn Wi-Fi adapter which is up to date and working fine. I might add, I can connect to the internet just fine by using  an Ethernet cable connected to my modem. But that defeats the purpose of "wireless". Good thing I don't work from home - I'd be screwed!

icon

Best answer by tomwil 6 January 2022, 20:49

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

My Laptop is a 2016 HP Notebook. It has a Realtek RTL8188EE 801.11bgn Wi-Fi adapter which is up to date and working fine.

I have basically the same laptop with the same adapter, that had the same problem with wifi6.  The four solutions usually mentioned on this community are:

1. Be sure the Realtek driver is the most current version.
  2. Activating and renaming the SSID of one of the 2.4GHz channels so that it is not name shared (basically allowing non-WiFi6 access)
  3. Lowering the transmission mode to an older standard (example, ax/g to n/g)
  4. Lowering the encryption (WPA) to an older standard (example, WPA3 to WPA2)

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Back in the days of 54g, once ran into an issue where the wifi card on a laptop was not converting the passphrase to the proper hex values.  Had to download a tool from the vendor that would generate hex for specific brands like Linksys and such.

If your wifi router can display the actual hex, can give that a shot... will be long, like 63 characters.

A quick Google search found a similar tool at Wireshark for generating the hex version of pre-shared keys (PSK).  Could give it a shot if you can't find the hex version of the passphrase:

https://www.wireshark.org/tools/wpa-psk.html

Badge

I've been trying  for two weeks to get my laptop to connect to my network. Both TV, cell phone and Tablet connect just fine. My network shows up on the "available" Networks, but when I try to connect to it, I get a message saying can't  connect. I checked the status of the Network and it says cannot authenticate connection.  I've updated my Network Wi-Fi adapter & Driver, turned my T-Moble modem/router off & on, reset it, ran Windows troubleshooter and another of other "fixes" I've read on the internet  and forums, but nothing seems to help. My Laptop is a 2016 HP Notebook. It has a Realtek RTL8188EE 801.11bgn Wi-Fi adapter which is up to date and working fine. I might add, I can connect to the internet just fine by using  an Ethernet cable connected to my modem. But that defeats the purpose of "wireless". Good thing I don't work from home - I'd be screwed!

Thank You! I'll try this and see what happens.

Badge

My Laptop is a 2016 HP Notebook. It has a Realtek RTL8188EE 801.11bgn Wi-Fi adapter which is up to date and working fine.

I have basically the same laptop with the same adapter, that had the same problem with wifi6.  The four solutions usually mentioned on this community are:

1. Be sure the Realtek driver is the most current version.
  2. Activating and renaming the SSID of one of the 2.4GHz channels so that it is not name shared (basically allowing non-WiFi6 access)
  3. Lowering the transmission mode to an older standard (example, ax/g to n/g)
  4. Lowering the encryption (WPA) to an older standard (example, WPA3 to WPA2)

Thank you! I'll try these suggestions and see what happens.

Badge

Back in the days of 54g, once ran into an issue where the wifi card on a laptop was not converting the passphrase to the proper hex values.  Had to download a tool from the vendor that would generate hex for specific brands like Linksys and such.

If your wifi router can display the actual hex, can give that a shot... will be long, like 63 characters.

A quick Google search found a similar tool at Wireshark for generating the hex version of pre-shared keys (PSK).  Could give it a shot if you can't find the hex version of the passphrase:

https://www.wireshark.org/tools/wpa-psk.html

Thank for your help. I'll try this.

I have the Nokia tower and internet works on TV's, phones, etc. But won't even show up on my 3 year old Dell laptop running windows 10 on available networks. Please help. At this point, I'm very disappointed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I have the Nokia tower and internet works on TV's, phones, etc. But won't even show up on my 3 year old Dell laptop running windows 10 on available networks. Please help. At this point, I'm very disappointed.

Hey LenJr, Crazy that just one device is being stubborn about connecting. I would suggest to try what CondoCat mentioned and create the separate networks for the 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz. A lot of times, devices can see one but not the other so when they are bundled it gets confused and fails to connect. Here is the step by step tutorial on how to do that. I love that the simulator has the visuals so you can see what you are looking for. https://www.t-mobile.com/support/tutorials/device/t-mobile/nokia-5g21-gateway/topic/web-user-interface/how-to-change-the-ssid-name-and-password-gui/1

Anything that won't connect change to WPA2, I had issues with laptop and printer, I made that change and now EVERYTHING connects to the network.