This is why Bridge/Passthrough is not an option.

• 6 June 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

We all want configurability, passthrough/ bridge mode to use our own routers avoiding the dreaded double NAT that can effect network performance. The problem is not with T-mobiles gateway’s. It has to do with the network. All of the home and business gateways don't get their own public IP address. Users in an area are sharing one public IP address. Unless T-Mobile will allow for static IP addresses is why these gateways have limited configuration options. Im not sure if its an option. I haven't called tech support to ask if a static IP is available. This is why you will see slow downs at peak usage times. 

In layman's terms, picture 10 devices on your home network all streaming 4K video with a 150 MBPS connection, it can't handle that much bandwidth. Same goes for the T-mobile home internet modem/router but the problem is your sharing the connection with multiple Home internet customers. 

If you have a cable, fiber or a DSL connection you do in fact get your own public IP address. Cable connection is the is lets say a 2” pipe and everyone is feeding their 1/2” pipe. Slow downs happen at peak usage. DSL is limited to the copper infrastructure as far as the amount of bandwidth it can provide along with the distance from the central office (CO). Fiber is different That is why you can get full duplex speeds (same up/down) because a light signal doesn't degrade as much. Very rare that you get slow downs with fiber. 

There is optional devices from other companies that will get rid of the DHCP which causes network and double NAT issues but the fact still remains you're still sharing one public IP address with multiple clients. 

I hope this makes sense to some people. 

2 replies

So you’re saying that we are NAT’d with T-Mobile’s home gateway (the obvious) and then we are being NAT’d on the WAN side also (the new).

I was today years old when I found this out but haven’t really had a need to check, yet. My phone service isn’t working for inbound calls and this makes sense why. So now my question, do you know if the business internet is any different? Meaning that we will receive a public IP like traditional services? I’m really not concerned with the IP address but the double NAT, or AFTR, sounds like it completely eliminates the ability to port forward in any way.

Badge

I found a third party device that does pass the public ip address but again it’s a shared address with other TMHI devices in the area. Your IMEI number is your WAN address in theory. 
Yeacomm devices are configurable and can be put in bridge mode. They call it “work” mode in their gui. 
Expensive on the Jungle site. My issue with the device was it has an Omni antenna and it picks the strongest signal to me. It also band locks.  The strongest tower to me 1.75 miles away but it’s the most congested. 
Another tower 2.8 miles from me with less traffic and better speeds. I went back to my KVD21 with a 2X2 mimo antenna and I have faster speeds and a more stable connection. Waveform antennas are great. T-Mobiles new device allows for external antennas. The KVD21 has to be modified. I helped my neighbor with his setup. To avoid the double NAT and possible latency issues, just use the T-Mobile gateway to handle the DHCP and use a mesh system to extend the WiFi coverage in your home. 
I can’t do that because all of my networking equipment is prosumer. Unifi.