With happiness, why has FTP started to work with T-Mobile home internet?

Badge +2

I’ve had T-Mobile home internet several months now. Having made it through several issues I’m glad I stayed with T-Mobile. Because T-Mobile maps IPV4 over IPV6, FTP did not work. To use FTP I had to subscribe to a VPN, turn it on when FTP was needed then turn off again. I’ve been using NordVPN for that. However, just now I attempted some file transfers and they worked! All my FTP logins work without using the VPN. This is wonderful.

So I’m wondering if anyone knows what changed. Was it T-Mobile? Was it something else? It isn’t the FTP servers or protocols or the internet in general. I use multiple FTP servers. So it has to be T-Mobile.

2 replies

Did you set your connection to active instead of passive? I’ve been able to access FTP using an active connection since I got it a couple years ago. But you can’t do passive as you disconnect each time, so your connection potentially comes from a different connection each time you connect to upload or download after authenticated. Which breaks the authentication.

Keeping an active connection allows for your authentication to not expire. 

Badge +2

Did you set your connection to active instead of passive? I’ve been able to access FTP using an active connection since I got it a couple years ago. But you can’t do passive as you disconnect each time, so your connection potentially comes from a different connection each time you connect to upload or download after authenticated. Which breaks the authentication.

Keeping an active connection allows for your authentication to not expire. 

When it wasn’t working I tried everything including active. The problem was ports due to mapping IPV4 over IPV6. It is still working today. I do nothing different from when it did not work. I simply open the program, connect, and it works, without having to use a VPN.