Solved

International charges

• 30 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge

Why am I charged for retrieving voicemail when I didn't make the call internationally.. I see several international call at 25 cents each for dialing 1 2 3 to retrieve voicemail when I did not initiate it? These calls are each for one minute, what voicemails can you retrieve in one minute? Seems these calls are automatic!

icon

Best answer by Jayvee85 31 January 2024, 01:26

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

When you press “1” what the phone actually does is to dial the voicemail number (+1.805.637.724X), which is an international call when you are roaming. Rather than doing this, you should use Visual Voicemail to manage your messages. It uses data instead of voice.

Badge

Thank you drneecomb, however I might not have made it clear that I didn't make a call, however, I actually found the answer in the T-Mobile support page regarding voicemail. 

If your phone is on when you get an Incoming call, even if you don't answer it and it goes to voicemail, the call is charged one minute for the call coming into the phone. (There are no charges at all if your phone is turned off.)

If your phone is off and receives incoming voicemails, when you turn it on while you are roaming internationally the call is charged one minute for the voicemail coming into the phone. In a nutshell, international roaming charges are UNAVOIDABLE even if you have an international call block on your account. Currently I know no way to disable the voicemail function from an account level, I have checked

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Here’s something I wrote up about roaming a while back.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eYMuPEbQIcxxxDJBlG8p9FYUT9jdPDIg2-PtG40uJk0/edit?usp=sharing